Shimano Deore DX left shifter replacement?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Shimano Deore DX left shifter replacement?

Hi,

I am in the process ofd restoring my 30 year old bike. It has Shimano Deore DX shift (3 front/7 rear). After a lot of cleaning and replacing cables the rear shift is OK but it seems the front shift lever has a problem. It jumps from the largest gear straight to the smallest. With upshifts it hits the middle gear fine.

I have looked at replacements on eBay but there are no shift levers. Only brake levers and derailleurs.

Does anybody know if another series will fit or can I replace the current one with any 3 gear Shimano shift? Are they all all the same?

Mtn Biker Machinist

Shimano Deore DX left shifter replacement?

eBay search results show 6 sets of MT-62 Shimano DX thumbshifters. $64-$125.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Did you mean something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Shi...wAAOSwY3BZD9wl

I just looked and I don't think these are mine. Mine has up and down levers.Here are (bad) pictures:

Shimano Deore DX left shifter replacement?-img_0856.jpegShimano Deore DX left shifter replacement?-img_0857.jpg

Mtn Biker Machinist
    So yours are DX trigger shifters, not DX thumb shifters.

Do you want to keep your bike period correct, or just have a bike that shifts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Not necessarily period as long as the shifts work halfways OK. It seems there are some Deore XT sets for 50-80 on eBay. Are there any more modern ones that are recommended?

Mtn Biker Machinist
    XT trigger shifters (and DX trigger shifters) are fine as long as the grease inside hasnít turned to cement. It hardens over time and the little pawls and springs stop engaging and releasing.

If youíre so inclined, you can clean the old grease out of your current shifters and re-lube them if thatís the problem.

Your shifters are integrated into your brake levers, so finding exact replacements may take time on eBay. If you want to replace shifters and brake levers, thatís easier. It all depends on how much time, money, & patience you have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    XT trigger shifters (and DX trigger shifters) are fine as long as the grease inside hasnít turned to cement. It hardens over time and the little pawls and springs stop engaging and releasing.

that was the problem. They barely moved. With a lot of degreaser I got them moving again but the middle position of the front gear still gets skipped. Otherwise the shift feels very good again.

One last question: I am not very familiar with replacing bike components. Is it a fair assumption that Shimano 3/7 speed levers should work on my bike? do they all shift in similar ways?

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Yes, any Shimano 3/7 speed will work. Also make sure that the brake levers match your type of brakes. Likely you have cantilever brakes, which are considered short pull, so you need cantilever brake levers. Long pull, or v-brake levers wonít work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Yes, any Shimano 3/7 speed will work. Also make sure that the brake levers match your type of brakes. Likely you have cantilever brakes, which are considered short pull, so you need cantilever brake levers. Long pull, or v-brake levers wonít work.

Thanks! That's definitely something to consider and I wasn't aware of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    If you end up replacing those shifters, I like to have em. I have had many of those and had good results taking them apart to get them working again

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_ralph View Post
    If you end up replacing those shifters, I like to have em. I have had many of those and had good results taking them apart to get them working again
    OK. I'll let you know. You can have them if you pay shipping. Still looking so far. Seems there are more Deore XT than Deore DX parts out there so I may go that route.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Your photo looks like DX levers with XT (M095) push/pull shifters. They may also be M560 LX shifters. I believe DX shifters were all push/push.

You can easily work with the pawl that is giving you trouble with the shifter. 9 times out of 10, working the pawl back and forth loosens it up. This video should help you (different shifter)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKLejn7f_Po

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by katsup View Post
    Your photo looks like DX levers with XT (M095) push/pull shifters. They may also be M560 LX shifters. I believe DX shifters were all push/push.

You can easily work with the pawl that is giving you trouble with the shifter. 9 times out of 10, working the pawl back and forth loosens it up. This video should help you (different shifter)
    DX did have those, they were #M075

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_ralph View Post
    DX did have those, they were #M075
    Oh thanks, must of been short lived. I see photos of them by searching.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by efsefwww View Post
    OK. I'll let you know. You can have them if you pay shipping. Still looking so far. Seems there are more Deore XT than Deore DX parts out there so I may go that route.
    would you consider a trade?
    I have a set of Deore DX M-071 on an old Alpinestar that are fully functional, actually rode it yesterday. Pics attached......Shimano Deore DX left shifter replacement?-dx-072.jpg
    Shimano Deore DX left shifter replacement?-alp-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Oh thanks, must of been short lived. I see photos of them by searching.
    Yes, unfortunately short, DX was a good line. They may have been distributed more in Europe/UK, I see them available frequently from over there.....not so much here

mtbr member
    Apr 2020

I think I have worked it out. I had to fiddle with the cable tension (very loose) and the inner limit screw (take it in further than usually recommended) and now it seems to work. Seems the shifter is good after all.