mtbr member

Roller Cams to V-Brakes

I am stuck with using a set of Suntour XC Roller Cam's on my rear and I want to upgrade my front brakes from contilever to V-Brakes. I am wondering if anyone knows of a set of levers that will work with both Roller Cams and the newer style V-Brakes. I would like matching leversw if possable.
    Thanks
    Banana slugs are too cool for words!

Looking for a 19 or 20-inch black Diamond Back Ridge Runner

VRC Illuminati
    Are you saying that you're looking to put V-brakes on your Annapurna?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

artistic...
    you know the studs for rollercams are on different location than cantis/vees right? even if there is an adaptor... why?? it's such a complication you will go thru not to mention it ruins the looks of the bike without adding too much for breaking anyway.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    you know the studs for rollercams are on different location than cantis/vees right? even if there is an adaptor... why?? it's such a complication you will go thru not to mention it ruins the looks of the bike without adding too much for breaking anyway.

He should, this is not his first post on the subject.
    -eric-

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006
    It sounds like he knows the rear is different, he says he wants to UPGRADE the FRONT from CANTI's to V's.(I'm assuming the fronts ARE Canti's and not Roller).....V's will work on Canti posts but the existing brake lever will not work without an adapter (I don't recall the name) but it's not an ideal setup. Properly adjusted Canti's with GOOD pads can be just as good as V's.
    Last edited by stan4bikes; 06-29-2007 at 07:53 PM.
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

mtbr member

Clearification

My Ritchey Ascent has roller cams on the back and I am stuck with those. But my front has cantilever brakes, which are original, and it is those cantilevers I want to change out to V-Brakes because of cable routing issues. Its a long story.

V-Brakes and Conti's are interchangable. But my question is what brake levers will work with both Roller Cam brakes and V-Brakes, if there are any?

I wish I had a

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibike4fun
    V-Brakes and Conti's are interchangable. But my question is what brake levers will work with both Roller Cam brakes and V-Brakes, if there are any?
    You might be able to get a pair of Avid levers with the speed-dial option to work. The speed-dial allows for adjusting the amount of cable pull a lever has. They came in both canti and v-brake configurations. I don't know the exact amount of pull variation, but using these (with each lever adjusted independent of the other) would be about the only option.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

VRC Illuminati
    -eric-

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

then why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    you're a mean one, Mr Grinch ....Ah, to be two inches taller
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

mtbr member
    Rumpfy, nice one on the Annapurna. I just got your hint! I am really bad at subtle hints.

On that topic I purchased some parts from a person who thrashed their Annapurna. The frame was not worth saving. They guy parted the frame out and then left it outside for 4 years. I should mention, his backyard is falling into the ocean. It was one major rust bucket. The metal was so pitted I couldn't even read the serial number anymore. He offered for free and I turned down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Yea, that one is mine that I am selling. It is too big. I need a 19 or 20 -inch. I have a 17-inch that I am also selling for $10. But it needs a lot of work.

mtbr member
    Yea, that one is mine that I am selling. It is too big. I need a 19 or 20 -inch. I have a 17-inch that I am also selling for $10. But it needs a lot of work.
    Any better pics of the paint damage?
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Built4Speed
    I set up an e-stay bike with a rear u-brake and v-brakes up front and these were hooked up to Avid levers from a '99 Schwinn M3 as a temp set-up. They worked fine without the Thingamajig adaptor. I switched back to Shimano XT cantilevers and SLR levers later on.
    BMX bikes use u-brakes and v-brakes.Check out the Odyssey Bulldogs..
    Just curious; Aren't roller-cam and u-brake studs in the same location?
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

VRC Illuminati
    Rumpfy, nice one on the Annapurna. I just got your hint! I am really bad at subtle hints.

On that topic I purchased some parts from a person who thrashed their Annapurna. The frame was not worth saving. They guy parted the frame out and then left it outside for 4 years. I should mention, his backyard is falling into the ocean. It was one major rust bucket. The metal was so pitted I couldn't even read the serial number anymore. He offered for free and I turned down.
    I was going to give you hell for considering putting V's and an Anna...but the Ascent...eh, go for it.

Didn't realized the DB was yours.

As for the Anna, I'd take it for free.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am sure you could get some Pauls levers new. Just get a front V brake lever and a rear BMX lever. Looking at them they should fit the bill perfect.

Bird watcher
    You turned down a free ani? I call bs. You could have turned that into the coolest shop seat around. I'm waiting for the yeti or one of the ritcheys to crack so I can make one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckevlar
    You turned down a free ani? I call bs. You could have turned that into the coolest shop seat around. I'm waiting for the yeti or one of the ritcheys to crack so I can make one.
    The frame was so rusty that the bottom bracket was attached only to the seat bar and portions of the triangle had rusted away. I mean gone! The forks and seat post were frozen solid. I tried moving the forks, just for fun, and the frame was bending. Now I know what 4 years of ocean front property will do to a bike.

I should have taken a picture of it, but didn't. The owner told me it was an Ani but I can't confirm it. There were no decales on it. I do know it was a Ritchey and I am not aware of another Rithcey model that had these brakes. It was metalic purple.

Members who have read this thread: 1