Rocky Mountain Thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rocky Mountain Thread

I'll start if off, with a lowend Fusion, but hopefully this group can share some vintage pics of Thunderbolt, Wedge, Nimbus, Cirrus, Altitude and other models they have out there.

https://members.shaw.ca/mike_mc/WCpics/commuter1.jpg

PS Any help about posting pics in posts would be appreciated for us non-html warriors.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    can share some vintage pics of Thunderbolt, Wedge, Nimbus, Cirrus, Altitude and other models they have out there.
    Oh you mean like this thunderbolt? 1988 model frame, 1" headtube (oy vey), u-brake in the back, fillet-brazed prestige chromoly tubing. Nothing's original other than the frame on this one.

Or my 1991 Stratos whose only original parts are the frame and the DX derailleurs.

Or a nicely restored 1991 Rocky Mountain Hammer (which is for sale btw).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Holy Chromoly!!
    Thunderbolt

At that time fillet brazed by mr. Chris DeKerf. His DK frames clearly share some details of this wonderfull frame!!!
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

artistic...

why does a fine steel ht warms my heart?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen
    Thunderbolt

At that time fillet brazed by mr. Chris DeKerf. His DK frames clearly share some details of this wonderfull frame!!!
    i can't explain. it's been 15 yrs of lust, since i saw the first one in a shop window and bought it on impulse till today... fs alum. may be better but it's the hand made steel frame that makes my eyes roll

Ahhh.... no hite-rite braze-on on your thunderbolt?

mtbr member
    Great pics guys. I keep thinking of the Thunderbolt as having that crazy yellow and splatter paint. Never seen those retro decals on Deeeight's one either....I'm with Colker though....still lusting for one of these babies after all these years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Oh you mean like this thunderbolt? 1988 model frame, 1" headtube (oy vey), u-brake in the back, fillet-brazed prestige chromoly tubing. Nothing's original other than the frame on this one.
    Hi DeeEight,

What fork did your Thunderbolt originally come with? The funly double-bend one? Thunderbolts rare Canadian treats, to be sure. I'm always keeping an eye out for those and old Brodies. Not easy to find....

Geoff

Actually it came with...

a fat chance BigOneInch fork, which I still have. Occassionally I consider putting it back onto the bike.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Holy Chromoly!!
    I dug up some pictures out of my D:\Classic\RockyMountain folder;

Derek himself:

And last but not least; a bike that never went to production;

No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

mtbr member

Did the Billy B really never went into production?

I can remember seeing it in the BIKE Workshop incl. specs and pricing . Did Rocky decide not to go for it at the last moment? If yes, why?

Melvin
    CU @ OWMTBC 2010

LnW
    mtbr member
    1997 Altitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    NOS 91 Blizzard.

Oct 2004
    This was my old Avalanche - I figured when I bought it that it from was '86 or '87, but now that I think of it, it was probably more like '89. Anyway, it had Deore parts, a chainstay U-brake, a steel Syncros stem (or maybe just a steel stem with a Syncros sticker on it, I'm not enough of a Syncros expert to know), and Syncros bar ends - which I still have.

I see in this pic I've already swapped in OnZa HO cantilevers on the front. Apologies for the dark pic - it's the only digital one I have.

I also had a '91 Nimbus.

The Nimbus was originally raw aluminum, but I took the clear coat off and polished it. I had some 3D Violet stuff on there - a Ringle 28H front hub and Ti stiks skewers.

I LOVED this bike - but like so many good ones, it was stolen from me.

Nov 2004

article: 1986 RM ThunderBolt..

from MBAction April 1987 issue....Last paragragh of review states that this (tested bike) is a 1986 model..

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    a fat chance BigOneInch fork, which I still have. Occassionally I consider putting it back onto the bike.
    You probably already know this but I'll say it anyway. There is a big demand for BigOneInch forks amongst the Fat Chance Fans. Look at www.fatcogs.com

Fluff

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    First "high end" mountain bike I ever road was a sky blue 86 or 87 Transpo. It had a lugged frame and really relaxed angles, even for the era. I have always wanted an Avalanche.

And yes Adrian, Syncros did make steel stems for a very short period of time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    This is mine, chain and bar grips still have to be mounted...
    But I think the golden anodized syncros chainring has to be replaced by a black one...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

...some more RMīs from germany...

...note the titanium with the very rare syncros titanium fork...

MT rider
    Jan 2004

New question here. Vintage?

Hello guys, is this thread for vintage Rocky Mountain bikes or for new bikes (steel) too? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Officially the VRC forum is intended for VRC bikes, but I should say post it. I think it could be nice to make a comparison between your new Blizzard and the old Blizzard.
    CU @ OWMTBC 2010

Got Rogued!

If it's not a vintage...

it's at least some rares models... Here is the Speed!

MT rider
    Jan 2004

2004 RM Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation12,000
    Officially the VRC forum is intended for VRC bikes, but I should say post it. I think it could be nice to make a comparison between your new Blizzard and the old Blizzard.
    So here it is.

mtbr member
    Well I bought this little lady for Ģ20 ($38 approx) and although it's a "little tired" I might just spend some time refurbishing it later on in the year. No idea how it it is??

http://images2.fotopic.net/?iid=y56e...ze=1&nostamp=1

Good bargain I thought?
    Aye

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBreezer
    Well I bought this little lady for Ģ20 ($38 approx) and although it's a "little tired" I might just spend some time refurbishing it later on in the year. No idea how it it is??

http://images2.fotopic.net/?iid=y56e...ze=1&nostamp=1

Good bargain I thought?
    whoa! i am seriously jealous. the '91 Blizzard is my all-time favorite MTB of all time.

$38 is truly a sick price for that.

mtbr member
    It maybe will require some restorationactivities, but for the price you paid you can't go wrong.

@mervyn b
    Here you find test of a '92 Blizzard. I quick look learned me that the '92 came with Tange Prestige Concept tubing, a nicely built seat collar and a monostay. MBA noted it was a sturdy bike. On the Rocky site I see yours feature Reynolds 853.
    CU @ OWMTBC 2010

I won an auction for a complete rocky for $75US buy-it-now last week, picture wasn't clear enough to identify the model and but the parts are 89-91 vintage deore something it looks like. Its got fastback stays and not wishbone, so it could be anything from the 89 model range, or perhaps a later thunderbolt that was custom ordered without wishbones.

When it arrives I'll take some better pics of it.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

MT rider
    Jan 2004

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation12,000
    It maybe will require some restorationactivities, but for the price you paid you can't go wrong.

@mervyn b
    Here you find test of a '92 Blizzard. I quick look learned me that the '92 came with Tange Prestige Concept tubing, a nicely built seat collar and a monostay. MBA noted it was a sturdy bike. On the Rocky site I see yours feature Reynolds 853.
    That's right. Just got back from a quickie ride with my Blizzard - today's going to be a day to remember since I've laid my back for the first time on my Blizz!! Ridden for the first time a quality steel frame - enjoyed it very much.

one chain loop

1993 Stratos

with early Marzocchi XC 600

Last edited by fishcreek; 07-05-2008 at 07:29 AM.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

VRC Hound
    Nice. I dig that bike. More Rockies please!

Living Life Behind Bars..

Here's my Altitude T.O.

it sits as a single speed now with the Judy SL back on it with the Ungland Air Kit.

mtbr member
    My 87 Blizzard, 90 Hammer and 93 Equipe.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

May 2006

87 Blizzard

This one is thanx to BP (frame-fork-stem) and I put it together with a pretty much period correct parts group. BP says it had a pretty succesful race life in its early years. I've posted it before but this being th RM thread, here it is again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

1993 TI Bolt

fantastic riding and lookng bike:

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

My 1995 Blizzard

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

96 Rocky Mountain Altitude fork options

Hi,
    I'm looking at buying a 96 Rocky Mountain Altitude in the team colors.
    But it is the frame only, no fork.
    I'm just wondering about my fork options...?
    Rigid and short? Rigid and travel adjusted? Old school or modern travel 80mm?
    Basically, I don't know what the frame geometry was built for.
    Also with the colors, I've seen yellow suspension forks to go with the yellow in the frame.
    I'm also a little concerned about colour matching. Was there a stock fork in that colour or was specific for Rocky Mountain?
    Cheers,
    guidog

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok, a few hours web searching and browsing catalogs and I can answer my own question:
    The 1996 Altitude came with a Judx XC fork with 50mm travel and the same frame came as a TO (team only) model and was equipped with a Judy SL (travel 63 mm). Also, the Judy SL came in yellow and just happened to match the frame paint scheme nicely. So I know what to shop for if I get this frame...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by guidog View Post
    ok, a few hours web searching and browsing catalogs and i can answer my own question
    ayup!

DFA
    mtbr member
    Another thread back from the dead. May as well post up one of the new projects for the winter. Have the right wheels, brakes, grips, seat, and some Suntour XC II Pedals ready to go.

Hi.
    Yep, this is the Rocky Mountain Thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post

Lugged Ritchey=Canadian=Rocky Mountain? Or something similar?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hi,
    I'm looking at buying a 96 Rocky Mountain Altitude in the team colors.
    But it is the frame only, no fork.
    I'm just wondering about my fork options...?
    Rigid and short? Rigid and travel adjusted? Old school or modern travel 80mm?
    Basically, I don't know what the frame geometry was built for.
    Also with the colors, I've seen yellow suspension forks to go with the yellow in the frame.
    I'm also a little concerned about colour matching. Was there a stock fork in that colour or was specific for Rocky Mountain?
    Cheers,
    guidog
    It was designed for a 1996 RockShox Judy SL in Judy yellow. You can still find those for sale in working order from time to time. I fitted some on my 1996 VooDoo and they're surprisingly effective, even though the 63mm travel obviously leaves them (and me) a little out-faced in certain situations compared to some of my other bikes that have 80 or 100mm Fox forks, that really isn't often and for most riding they're fine.

The standard fix if you choose a longer fork is to combine it with a slightly shorter stem - say a 100mm stem for a 80mm fork, whereas you might have stuck with a stock 120mm stem length for a 63mm fork. Longer fork slows the steering down, shorter stem speeds it back up again.

I hope we'll get to see a picture of the frame at some point?

Here's an example with a Judy SL

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyinhove View Post
    It was designed for a 1996 RockShox Judy SL in Judy yellow. You can still find those for sale in working order from time to time. I fitted some on my 1996 VooDoo and they're surprisingly effective, even though the 63mm travel obviously leaves them (and me) a little out-faced in certain situations compared to some of my other bikes that have 80 or 100mm Fox forks, that really isn't often and for most riding they're fine.

The standard fix if you choose a longer fork is to combine it with a slightly shorter stem - say a 100mm stem for a 80mm fork, whereas you might have stuck with a stock 120mm stem length for a 63mm fork. Longer fork slows the steering down, shorter stem speeds it back up again.

I hope we'll get to see a picture of the frame at some point?

Here's an example with a Judy SL
    Doesn't a shorter stem mess up your reach/ position if you are using stem length to compensate for handling , not bike position?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Doesn't a shorter stem mess up your reach/ position if you are using stem length to compensate for handling , not bike position?
    I don't find that myself. As the fork gets longer, the front end gets higher, so it feels natural to have a slightly shorter, more upright position. I would agree that if you want a low, stretched-out position, then a shorter stem might disrupt that - but then, so might a longer fork.

I would accept though that if a frame is in any case on the short side for me, I wouldn't fit a long-travel fork, because the necessary short stem to accompany it wouldn't be good for fit. It works best if you fit a longer-travel fork to a frame that is slightly on the long side for you, so that the shorter stem is good news.

I should say that I personally find the right degree of sharpness of handling more important than the nth degree of correct fit. Others may well differ.

DFA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    And your point is?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DFA View Post
    And your point is?
    Is it a Rocky Mountain made by Tom Ritchey?

Or is it a Ritchey sold by the Rocky Mountain bike store in the early 80s, before they started making bikes of their own?

I think the latter.

mtbr member
    As far as I know it's a Japanese (Toyo?) made bike branded as a Ritchey by Rocky Mountain and sold in Canada.

Hi.
    Cool

DFA
    mtbr member
    Grayson Bain and Tom Ritchey pooled resources, went to Japan, and commisioned Toyo to build a production bike for their respective companies. They were branded Ascents in the US, RM/Ritcheys in Canada, and sold by RM,.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've read a little bit about the Judy SL here and there in the meantime. Apparently they needed quite a bit of service, would generally be out there on borrowed time, and didn't perform well by modern standards. I'm leaning more towarads either going rigid altogether (42.5 cm fork height) or find a modern fork with short travel (ie 60mm). Are there any modern, good and light forks out there with short travel like that?
    As an aside, has anyone ever ridden a bike that was designed for 60 mm travel with a convetional rigid fork (39 cm height). Should give a head tube angle of 74-75 degrees. Is that ridable?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've read a little bit about the Judy SL here and there in the meantime. Apparently they needed quite a bit of service, would generally be out there on borrowed time, and didn't perform well by modern standards. I'm leaning more towarads either going rigid altogether (42.5 cm fork height) or find a modern fork with short travel (ie 60mm). Are there any modern, good and light forks out there with short travel like that?
    As an aside, has anyone ever ridden a bike that was designed for 60 mm travel with a convetional rigid fork (39 cm height). Should give a head tube angle of 74-75 degrees. Is that ridable?
    Well I've already said that I disagree with that verdict on the Judy SL, but it does depend on what damping cartridge is in there. Most of the originals failed, so if you get one that still has the original, you better watch out. If you have one with a decent replacement cartridge, you have a decent fork. If the elastomers are ok. And you can get replacement elastomers on the web, also aftermarket steel springs made for Judy SLs.

I don't know why you would choose a 39cm a-c fork, but that would give a head angle of ~72.5. Reversing the advice I gave before, a stem of ~135mm would settle that down. But do you really want such a low front end? It would handle fine with a 41cm a-c Kona Project 2.

There is no modern 60mm suspension fork, but up to around 2006 the Rockshox SID could be switched between 63mm and 80mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Pricing

Just to let you guys know I ended up not getting the 96 steel Altitude TO.
    I've been spoiled by seeing some vintage frames go cheap on German ebay, e.g. the lovely 93/94 high end Marins in Tange Ultimate Ultralight for under 100 Euro (waiting for my size to come up) or a 91 GT Team Avalange that I actually bought for something like 50 Euro. So the RM Altitude sold at 443 Euro w/o fork and I've left the field a little earlier than that
    Well, one learns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ... 93/94 high end Marins in Tange Ultimate Ultralight .
    Sorry, "Superlight" of course...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    my latest acquisition.....1990 Rocky Mountain Blizzard (all original)

best

Moritz

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Here is my project, it has Ritchey vertical dropouts, slotted cable stops, and the bottom bracket is stamped P960410. No disc tabs. Blizzard? Bars, cranks, seatpost etc will be swapped out eventually for more suitable pieces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Thread-dscf1071.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Thread-dscf1074.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bmor_62 View Post
    Here is my project, it has Ritchey vertical dropouts, slotted cable stops, and the bottom bracket is stamped P960410. No disc tabs. Blizzard? Bars, cranks, seatpost etc will be swapped out eventually for more suitable pieces.
    It's a 1997 Hammer Race. There should be two further digits in the serial, but if the P9604 bit is correct, it says that P signifies Hammer Race and it was built in April 1996, i.e., building up to 1997 model year sales in late 96. I think Hammers were still built in Vancouver at that point, but I'm not absolutely sure.

It was originally black - this is what a bigger one looked like
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Thread-1997-hammer-race-frame-size-20.5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks. It has been painted black matte which has peeled revealing a black gloss. Any thoughts on how to safely remove 2nd coat of paint?

Chucklehead
    I should get off my lazy butt and build the damn thing. I should build the Catalyst while I'm at it. I should build a lot of stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Thread-img_4741small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by utahdog2003 View Post
    I should get off my lazy butt and build the damn thing. I should build the Catalyst while I'm at it. I should build a lot of stuff.
    88 Avalanche?

one chain loop

1991? Stratos

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    1991? Stratos
    1992 Looks quite original, aside from the saddle?

one chain loop
    and grips..

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    and grips..
    Excellent. You'll be telling us next that the chain is the original!

Thanks for sharing

[I wonder where it was made? Serial number should tell us]
    Last edited by anthonyinhove; 03-26-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Suspension? We don't....
    1991 Altitude
    From '96-'01 that was my trusty trail steed. The housing stops are conspicuous on the top tube. They were on the head tube but they and the rear brake stop broke off in the original owners first season. He had it replaced and the shop sent it to Hugh Black of True North Cycles. So the new stops are his idea of an improvement on DeKerf's setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Thread-alti.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Thread-91altitude.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Thread-tude.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Thread-hughmod.jpg  

DFA
    mtbr member
    Latest Kijiji find.

mtbr member
    1988 Fusion
    Maybe this will become a project.
    Missing forks and rim.
    Missing derailleurs and shifters.
    Missing front brake.
    Might be missing more.
    I don't really need anther project. Rocky Mountain Thread-2014-7.jpgRocky Mountain Thread-2014-10.jpgRocky Mountain Thread-2014-9.jpgRocky Mountain Thread-2014-2.jpg
    2001 DEVINCI GUZZLER
    2014 DEVINCI JACK S
    1994 MARIN BEAR VALLEY SE

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It's been awhile since anyone has posted a Rocky on here.
    Think it's about time for a restart. A tig Thunderbolt and
    a fillet brazed one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Thread-tig-thunderbolt-003.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Thread-rm-thunderbolt-001.jpg  

whoa
    Jan 2005
    Another fillet brazed Thunderbolt.

SUL
    mtbr member
    May 2018

SUL
    mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ManyPlaces View Post
    from MBAction April 1987 issue....Last paragragh of review states that this (tested bike) is a 1986 model..
    2ManyPlaces. If you are still out there I would love to have a higher resolution copy of this article. Great read. Thanks for posting.

SUL
    mtbr member
    May 2018
    Do you have a better copy or even the original magazine that this review came from?