Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A Rivendell mountain bike.. Wouldn't that be cool?

5K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  b_rogowski 
#1 ·
I was just thinking about the old Bridgestone MTBs, and Grant Pederson's current company Rivendell, which specializes in classic looking (but super-functional) lugged steel framed road and touring bikes.

Wouldn't it be cool if Rivendell made a mountain bike, in the tradition of the MB-1/0s? Lightweight lugged steel, lugged fork, great handling, topmount shifters, sensible saddle, Nitto parts...

I know the Atlantis can be set up like a mountain bike, but it just doesn't seem quite the same. I think a lot of people buy Rivendells for the 'classic bike' nostalgia, and i'm sure there are plenty of people nostalgic for the halcyon days of mountain biking..

#2 ·
I was thinking the same thing the other day when I got the latest Rivendell Reader Issue. It seems like, as a company, they are more into touring etc. I agree that there might be a demand for the same style/design as a mountain bike. They do some awesome colors and paint.

#4 ·
Rivendell used to do the "All Rounder" which would take the widest tires available at the time(Ritchey Z-Max 2.35) but also wasn't a mountain specific bike either. Grant's real big on building bikes that can do many things without being pigeon-holed into one particular function. I'd love to see a bike that's designed like the MB series, although Grant was the man who specced those beauties, I don't think he's really into building/selling mountain bikes.

To be completely honest, I love the look and concept of the Rivendell bikes, I think they're a bit too pricey.

#6 ·
WTB-rider said:
Rivendell used to do the "All Rounder" which would take the widest tires available at the time(Ritchey Z-Max 2.35) but also wasn't a mountain specific bike either. Grant's real big on building bikes that can do many things without being pigeon-holed into one particular function. I'd love to see a bike that's designed like the MB series, although Grant was the man who specced those beauties, I don't think he's really into building/selling mountain bikes.

To be completely honest, I love the look and concept of the Rivendell bikes, I think they're a bit too pricey.
pricey.. that's their achilles heel.

#7 ·
WTB-rider said:

Yeah, the All Rounders were pretty sweet. I always wanted an orange one. I work in Walnut Creek where they are located and run onto Riv employees on the trails pretty often. I used to ride with Mark a portion of my ride home every now and again. He and his wife have Bontragers.

They typically size their frames pretty large. The smaller Atlantises are built for 26" wheels or atleast used to be. They might actually fit the range of a medium MTB, compare the specs from Rivendell to your own ride. It might work.

Otherwise, the Rivendells with the Actual Rivendell name are full custom. They would do a mountain bike for the right price. Think about that one 'womens' frame they made a couple of years back where they had to cut and splice lugs. Cost a pretty penny but was pretty cool.

#8 ·
I googled for lugged mountainbikes yesterday.

I did not find any nice looking so I emailed a frame builder, a rigid lugged frame with lugged stem and lugged rigid forks with fantastic polished sculpted custom lugs and custom paint would cost around 5-6000 dollars. Very pricey but very nice.

IMHO if you are going to run lugs they need to be stainless and polished.

#9 ·
Boy named SSue said:
Otherwise, the Rivendells with the Actual Rivendell name are full custom. They would do a mountain bike for the right price. Think about that one 'womens' frame they made a couple of years back where they had to cut and splice lugs. Cost a pretty penny but was pretty cool.
I heard from somone that the custom Rivendells were being done by Mark Nobilette in Colorado.

#10 ·
erkan said:
I googled for lugged mountainbikes yesterday.

I did not find any nice looking so I emailed a frame builder, a rigid lugged frame with lugged stem and lugged rigid forks with fantastic polished sculpted custom lugs and custom paint would cost around 5-6000 dollars. Very pricey but very nice.

IMHO if you are going to run lugs they need to be stainless and polished.
I am in the process of learning how to braze. My dream is to build a lugged MTB and stem with stainless polished lugs (best way to show lugs). However I am discovering lugs have a fixed geometry and diameter, which in most cases is not MTB friendly. So finding a lugset that is stainless with MTB friendly geometry, including an 1 1/8 steerer tube, a BB lug with chainstay, is not that common - which probably explains why most bikes you see with lugs are of road variety.

#11 ·
kuna said:
I am in the process of learning how to braze. My dream is to build a lugged MTB and stem with stainless polished lugs (best way to show lugs). However I am discovering lugs have a fixed geometry and diameter, which in most cases is not MTB friendly. So finding a lugset that is stainless with MTB friendly geometry, including an 1 1/8 steerer tube, a BB lug with chainstay, is not that common - which probably explains why most bikes you see with lugs are of road variety.
jericho had a rigid, lugged (henry james) singlespeed and it was priced around $1500. too bad they fold.

#12 ·
kuna said:
Kirk Pacenti's slant six lugs will work for a mountain bike, and are available in stainless if you order enough. I might be getting some in the near future, let me know if you want to go in on a minimum order...

#13 ·
lucifer said:
Kirk Pacenti's slant six lugs will work for a mountain bike, and are available in stainless if you order enough. I might be getting some in the near future, let me know if you want to go in on a minimum order...
I saw those, I really liked them, and they looked like you could do a little carving on them, but was concerned about the minimum order. I don't plan on becoming a frame builder, just a few to build. I like the lugged stem kit as well. I would be interested in going in on the order with you, as long as it's not too many parts. Shoot me a PM when you get a chance. Thanks!;)

#15 ·
mwr said:
I heard from somone that the custom Rivendells were being done by Mark Nobilette in Colorado.
Well, unless something has changed very recently, Curt Goodrich is the only custom builder of Rivendells. There is nothing about Nobilette on the Rivendell website nor has there been anything come up on the mailing list (that I've seen -- I read it on the web). Rivendell built fully rigid mountain bikes years ago (actually -- I think they were Waterfords) and has talked about doing it again (code named "Bombadil"). They are leaning towards a more stretched out vintage Ritchey like geometry than a MB-1 geometry though. I'd rather see the MB-1 or a 29"-er.

Quoting Grant:

"I don't know if we'll ever DO one. The Atlantis (should've been Brandywine?) is a mountain bike as soon as you put fatties on it, so a special mtb would only have slacker angles and maybe a longer top tube....but then it wouldn't ride as well as the Atlantis on pavement.

Bombadil sounds like "bomb down da hill" sort of. Plus, Tom Bombadil was a merry old fellow/Bright blue was his jacket, and his boots were yellow. So now you know the color of the bike if we ever do it, but can we get yellow tires?"

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO

#16 ·
I totally agree!

WTB-rider said:
I totally agree! If I were going to spend that kind of $$$, I'd buy the frame from a builder who has experience building mountain frames. Someone else pointed out that lugs only come in certain diameters and angles - I'd get mine fillet brazed - fillet brazing is beautiful also!

If I were really, really desirous of a lugged frame, I'd save the $$$ and buy the next pristine MB-1 that shows up on the 'bay. I bet I'd get the complete bike for less than the price of a Riv frame!

#17 ·
SS lugs

kuna said:
Kirk Pacenti (SP??) makes a full set of SS lugs. You might have to special order the BB shell though as I believe he's currently out of them.

#18 ·
mark....

BobHufford said:
Well, unless something has changed very recently, Curt Goodrich is the only custom builder of Rivendells. There is nothing about Nobilette on the Rivendell website nor has there been anything come up on the mailing list (that I've seen -- I read it on the web). Rivendell built fully rigid mountain bikes years ago (actually -- I think they were Waterfords) and has talked about doing it again (code named "Bombadil"). They are leaning towards a more stretched out vintage Ritchey like geometry than a MB-1 geometry though. I'd rather see the MB-1 or a 29"-er.

Quoting Grant:

"I don't know if we'll ever DO one. The Atlantis (should've been Brandywine?) is a mountain bike as soon as you put fatties on it, so a special mtb would only have slacker angles and maybe a longer top tube....but then it wouldn't ride as well as the Atlantis on pavement.

Bombadil sounds like "bomb down da hill" sort of. Plus, Tom Bombadil was a merry old fellow/Bright blue was his jacket, and his boots were yellow. So now you know the color of the bike if we ever do it, but can we get yellow tires?"

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO
mark's been doing some misc. projects for them over the last year, but i don't think he's been doing any of the custom atlantis frames. i have a 753 nobilette road frame and my wife has a fillet brazed true-temper one. they'll never be on ebay!

#21 ·
mainlyfats said:
Bob Brown

OK - Three words might help you find you find him on the net "Bob Brown Cycles"
I'm meeting with him next week so he can check out my '87 MB2 for a restoration style paint job. And there's a Rivendell dealer around the corner from my house. He's got a 56cm Atlantis in the window w/26" wheels on it. It looks for all the world like a clean, shiny updated version of my MB2 to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.