Rescued!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rescued!

mtbr member

Rescued!

I was looking around my brothers property and saw this almost buried under a pile of pine needles. He didn't want it so I brought it home, cleaned, lubed, threw some new tires on and took it for a ride. I can't believe how well it rode considering it was left to rust away. Anybody know anything about these. Serial # M6-E3022. I read somewhere with a serial # starting with M it could be an 84. As far as I could tell it has all the original components. I thought it was a cool find and wanted share with you guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rescued!-011.jpg  

VRC Illuminati
    Not much to say about that bike...but its good you like it.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Black Chrome Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    That one doesn't have the extra spokes on the chain stay, serving dual duty as a chain slap guard does it? Always thought that was cool.....
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Then why the backhanded insult? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean anyone else doesn't.

underachiever
    Fantastic! My first mountain bike was a 1986 Univega Alpina Uno (that I bought in 1986). It looked a bit different than yours, but I had loads of fun riding it nonetheless....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Those Alpinas were pretty popular back in the day, widely available and one of the first of the mass-produced mountain bikes. In my experience, the parts spec was comparable to the Specialized bikes in their price range (of course, there weren't a lot of component choices back then). That's a cool old find, I'm glad you rescued it!

Retro on Steroids
    Although the fork dates that bike at '83 or later, the Univega Alpina Sport, designed by James McLean, was the first mass produced MTB, beating the StumpJumper by a few weeks. James was a Ritchey owner (natch) and if you check the Reseda-to-the-Sea thread, you will see in the VVA newsletter that he finished second in the 1980 Central Coast Clunker Classic.

This bike is equivalent to a mid-eighties mid-range Specialized, not particularly high on the collectibility list for people who care about such things. I'm not one of those people, and I would be using it myself as a town bike if I had it. I'll bet it rides great.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    That one doesn't have the extra spokes on the chain stay, serving dual duty as a chain slap guard does it? Always thought that was cool.....
    Early Diamond backs had that. It made quite an interesting sound. Cool bike, same build kit as my old Mongoose. Those black arayas would look sweet on my 36 Mercury.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give it a new shot of paint since the original is peeling off. That's all it really needs. It's a slick bike and fits me well so I'm going to use it for short rides around the neighborhood and probably take it on trail rides every now and then. Just have to pick a color now......

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Although the fork dates that bike at '83 or later, the Univega Alpina Sport, designed by James McLean, was the first mass produced MTB, beating the StumpJumper by a few weeks. James was a Ritchey owner (natch) and if you check the Reseda-to-the-Sea thread, you will see in the VVA newsletter that he finished second in the 1980 Central Coast Clunker Classic.

This bike is equivalent to a mid-eighties mid-range Specialized, not particularly high on the collectibility list for people who care about such things. I'm not one of those people, and I would be using it myself as a town bike if I had it. I'll bet it rides great.
    I have an 83 Univega Alpina Sport - back then, there were really three "trim levels" available - Uno, Sport, and Pro. The only difference between them was components. They all used the same lugged frame. I chose the Sport, cause it had good components and was a little less expensive than the Pro. I hammered that bike as hard as I could daily in Austin, TX and it was flawless. In fact, it is still my main rider to this day, and works perfectly. Fully lugged frame, no suspension. HA! This was when suspension on a bike was science fiction, and it was a while after that before rockshox even came out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I wouldn't repaint it. I like the way it looks now like it has a story to tell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guywitharitchey View Post
    I wouldn't repaint it. I like the way it looks now like it has a story to tell.
    yep yep +1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Then why the backhanded insult? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean anyone else doesn't.
    he's a troll w 15000 posts - can you guess how many of his posts are just like this

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Great find! Love the 'patina'.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by marley mission View Post
    he's a troll w 15000 posts - can you guess how many of his posts are just like this
    He was only a Mod troll with 10000 post back in 2010 when those were posted.

mtbr member
    ha - just noticed this was a zombie thread
    but nothings changed obviously

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yep - zombie - I've got a lot of reading to do to catch up - apparently a lot has happened in the biking world since the 80's.

On my Alpina Sport, I remembered that I bent the factory fork on a hard landing about 6 mos after I got the bike - the bike shop hooked me up with a chrome chromoly replacement fork that took the punishment without blinking. Compared to the Fuji's and Specialized of the day, my frame is a little longer, and not nearly as twitchy as those shorter bikes. Works for me.

mtbr member
    Nice bike. I had an '86 Alpina Pro (my first MTB) that carried me all over town and trail. My roommate borrowed it one day and it was stolen while parked on the CSU Chico campus.

ish
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The "M" in the serial probably does not determine the year. I think it is the "6", which would make it a 1986. I have a 1985 Alpina Uno, and the serial stars with "M5".

mtbr member
    I'd leave the paint as-is. My Pro was the metallic medium-ish gray. Can't remember the parts spec but I know it had a very similar stem (except black) and bars

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    may we have more pics? welds and cluster, please.

I'd leave the paint original, such a beauty!

mtbr member
    Univega's are great for buying cheap and taking the XT parts off and putting on something else... haha

I have the same bike, it was 1/2 parted out. so i finished it.

i got the same bike ahile ago and used all the deer head XT.

its stil la cool frame, was thinking on a SS or something.

yours is complete. with the way cool hubs!

gobsmacked Moderator
    I hope the OP hasn't been waiting for your votes.

Members who have read this thread: 1