replacement brass rods for syncros post head?- Mtbr.com
    artistic...

replacement brass rods for syncros post head?

I have a beautifull syncors rendered useles since the rod threads are stripped. I tried fitting thomsons rods but they are slightly bigger. Tried ebay etc.. Any clues? Those machined syncros posts are an icon of early nineties mtbs.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Mtn Biker Machinist

replacement brass rods for syncros post head?

Pics of the needed part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Practice Gratitude

Good job! Maybe a long shot?

This may be a long shot but have you already contacted Syncros directly? They offer replacement parts. I'm doubtful if they have back stock from 30 years ago but maybe they can tell you the manufacture or part numbers on those seat post pieces?

https://help.syncros.com/hc/en-us/ar...-from-Syncros-

I do also recall seeing those barrel nut rods at local hardware stores like "Lowe's Hardware":

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Barrel-nuts...are/4294710819

Hope this helps some,
    Jason
    Last edited by Plusti; 06-19-2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Typo.
    “It never gets easier, you just get faster.” ~ Greg LeMond

2012 Specialized Carve

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Pics of the needed part?

I will take the pics but i can describe as well: itīs a rod thatīs insert on the top part which presses against the saddle rails and the cam. Two bolts attach on the rods.
    Thomson has similar rods but spec is slightly bigger.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Plusti View Post
    This may be a long shot but have you already contacted Syncros directly? They offer replacement parts. I'm doubtful if they have back stock from 30 years ago but maybe they can tell you the manufacture or part numbers on those seat post pieces?

https://help.syncros.com/hc/en-us/ar...-from-Syncros-

I do also recall seeing those barrel nut rods at local hardware stores like "Lowe's Hardware":

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Barrel-nuts...are/4294710819

Hope this helps some,
    Jason
    Syncros tell me i should go through their dealers but there are no syncros dealers around. I saw those barrel nuts at Lowe but there is no way to tell if the right width; those things should fit tight inside the top cam. Best bet is finding a busted Syncros post and canibalize the part.

No known cure
    Do you mean this threaded rod?

https://www.bikethomson.com/product/sph001/

BTW, the entire saddle rail assembly from Thomson is the exact radius as Syncros and they're interchangable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Do you mean this threaded rod?

https://www.bikethomson.com/product/sph001/

BTW, the entire saddle rail assembly from Thomson is the exact radius as Syncros and they're interchangable.

Thomsonīs rod is slightly bigger and does not fit inside Syncros cam. I could take the whole thomson top cam but rather keeo it all syncros.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Thomsonīs rod is slightly bigger and does not fit inside Syncros cam. I could take the whole thomson top cam but rather keeo it all syncros.
    Thomson also has hardware for their dropper post which aren't compatible with the Elite or Masterpiece post. In the pic they look like a smaller diameter. Maybe shoot them an email and see if they're close to the Syncros parts.

artistic...
    Thomson also has hardware for their dropper post which aren't compatible with the Elite or Masterpiece post. In the pic they look like a smaller diameter. Maybe shoot them an email and see if they're close to the Syncros parts.
    I tried fitting them to the Syncros and no go. I would have to shave material and i donīt have machines to do it.

mtbr member
    Why not just get a tap or die, to change, clean threads.....
    Tread killer....

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by ladljon View Post
    Why not just get a tap or die, to change, clean threads.....
    I will try that route.

No known cure
    The dimentions from bikepro's site.

"A hole is drilled through the arms that will accommodate a brass rod. The rod is .58" long and .3" in diameter with a hole drilled through the middle of its side, tapped with threads."

Mtn Biker Machinist
    The dimentions from bikepro's site.

"A hole is drilled through the arms that will accommodate a brass rod. The rod is .58" long and .3" in diameter with a hole drilled through the middle of its side, tapped with threads."
    Does it list thread size by chance?

artistic...
    If only Thomson used the same rods: theirs is a fraction of a milimeter bigger. Thread seems to be the same but size of the rod is different

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Does it list thread size by chance?

LOL. You had to ask. The BikePro site is deep with info.

"The bolts are made of cadmium plated steel with 5mm x 1mm threads, are 35mm long have a 4mm hex fitting and weigh 6 grams each."

Mtn Biker Machinist

"The bolts are made of cadmium plated steel with 5mm x 1mm threads, are 35mm long have a 4mm hex fitting and weigh 6 grams each."
    Dang! It’s so satisfying to my machinist brain!

Mtn Biker Machinist

BikePro either has a typo, or Syncros chose the M5x1 “special” thread, which is not very common. Most metric tap sets don’t even have that thread size. M5x.8 is the common size in 5mm.

He be a moose too.
    https://www.tap-die.com/contents/en-...tric_taps.html

Rather uncommon as Graingers doesn't even have one but I guess they exist.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    I have a beautifull syncors rendered useles since the rod threads are stripped. I tried fitting thomsons rods but they are slightly bigger. Tried ebay etc.. Any clues? Those machined syncros posts are an icon of early nineties mtbs.
    I'm pretty sure I have what you need. I got an old Syncros post with a frame I purchase. It was a 27.0 post but the frame was a 27.2 which wound up marring the post to the point I wouldn't use it. I've already gave away a part of the post to an individual in SD. So I have (I think) the parts you need. So let me know if you want them and I'll get them to you.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoMack View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have what you need. I got an old Syncros post with a frame I purchase. It was a 27.0 post but the frame was a 27.2 which wound up marring the post to the point I wouldn't use it. I've already gave away a part of the post to an individual in SD. So I have (I think) the parts you need. So let me know if you want them and I'll get them to you.

sent you a Pm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoMack View Post
    I’m the guy Rico gave the bottom part of the clamp too. Thanks again Rico.

Be sure not to lose that bottom part of the clamp. It’s not captive, and once the saddle is removed it will fall out. Replacements are unobtainable, unless you can scavenge one or get very lucky.

For anyone trying to source these parts, the removable clamp pieces appear to be common for all post diameters. I have a 31.6, 27.8, and 27.2 - all the same.

Kit
    San Diego, Ca

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I had the same problem. I have a Syncro's titanium seatpost with titatium bolts. One of the brass barrels stripped. I did the same thing and swapped out the top seat rail clamp and used a Thompson top rail clamp. Functionally it worked great but I didn't like it because I preferred the Syncro's top rail for the match. What I did was remove the stripped brass barrel and replaced it with the Thompson brass barrel. Well it did take a little work to get the Thompson barrel to fit. i took a drill and reamed out the hole to accept the Thompson barrel and it fit perfectly. Make sure to mask the rest of the seat rail clamp so it drill doesnt scratch it . You can probably use a Dremel to accomplish it in lieu of a drill. (I used a drill bit that was same diameter of the hole) Hopes this helps.