The Pottsey twins, drop bars or flat bars?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    mountaingoatcycles.com
    Reputation: First Flight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,354

    The Pottsey twins, drop bars or flat bars?

    Picked this one up today and took a couple of quick pictures of the bikes in "as found" condition:






    Not quite as clean as this one:


    MOMBAT: 1987 Steve Potts

    Looks like the drop bar bike is 9 bikes and 6 months older than the flat bar bike. With a quick inspection, the drop bar bike uses the older style head badge and has a roller for the rear derailleur cable.

  2. #2
    The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Reputation: eastcoaststeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,019
    Wow Jeff, that drop bar Potts is awsome...and it looks to be my size.

    Been wondering when one of those would show up on this coast...what's the story
    behing the score?



    Steve

  3. #3
    mountaingoatcycles.com
    Reputation: First Flight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
    Wow Jeff, that drop bar Potts is awsome...and it looks to be my size.

    Been wondering when one of those would show up on this coast...what's the story
    behing the score?



    Steve
    I got and email title "Tire pump" and the whole email was "Steve potts original eq.. Can you suggest a tire pump or valve stem size." Started a conversation about the bike followed by pictures and an inquiry to see if it was for sale. The original owner mentioned talked to someone at the Potts booth at the hand made show and had been given a value. I had already made a lower offer so I figured it was dead. Two weeks passed and he accepted my original offer and the bike was on the way.

  4. #4
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight View Post
    The original owner mentioned talked to someone at the Potts booth at the hand made show and had been given a value.
    I'm gonna kill somebody...and I know who it is I'm gonna kill.

  5. #5
    The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Reputation: eastcoaststeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight View Post
    I got and email title "Tire pump" and the whole email was "Steve potts original eq.. Can you suggest a tire pump or valve stem size." Started a conversation about the bike followed by pictures and an inquiry to see if it was for sale. The original owner mentioned talked to someone at the Potts booth at the hand made show and had been given a value. I had already made a lower offer so I figured it was dead. Two weeks passed and he accepted my original offer and the bike was on the way.

    Cool. Shows that are still gems out there waiting for the right person to unearth them. I love when a deal you think is dead suddenly comes back to life...like hitting the lottery.
    Congrats. That's one I'll geinitely be looking to see in person if I ever get to NC again.


    Steve

  6. #6
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,876
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I'm gonna kill somebody...and I know who it is I'm gonna kill.
    ...now I have red bull all over my screen...

    looking for 20-21" P team

  7. #7
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,942
    It's seeing a bike like that keeps me from buying a new bike. Those are so nice.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  8. #8
    shawnw
    Guest
    How boring, two bikes painted the same, do you want to trade for a green one?
    Anyway, that drop bar, as found condition, is KILLER!! Good for you

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    511
    WOW!
    That is awesome!

  10. #10
    Stokeless Asshat
    Reputation: jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,360
    What's the deal on the shifter set up? Thumbie adapters?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

    Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

  11. #11
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,876
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    What's the deal on the shifter set up? Thumbie adapters?
    looks like the black ones.
    looking for 20-21" P team

  12. #12
    mountaingoatcycles.com
    Reputation: First Flight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,354

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    I'm thinking of doing drops on my Handsome XOXO so I'd love to hear how well those WTB shifter mounts work.

  14. #14
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Expensive, hard to find, and prone to breaking. Otherwise great!
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  15. #15
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,757
    They're terrible! Send them to me!

    Nice hijack! AWESOME Potts, FFB!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Thanks I'll see if I can find some.

  17. #17
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd N View Post
    Thanks I'll see if I can find some.
    The long line wrapped around the corner forms to your left.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  18. #18
    slower than you
    Reputation: rockychrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd N View Post
    I'm thinking of doing drops on my Handsome XOXO so I'd love to hear how well those WTB shifter mounts work.
    they work fine, in my opinion. i like them. some have accused them of being awkward, finger-bone breakers. but i've used them for many, many years with nary a quibble or quirk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Pottsey twins, drop bars or flat bars?-6988137870_0f125bba21_b.jpg  

    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

  19. #19
    mountaingoatcycles.com
    Reputation: First Flight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd N View Post
    Thanks I'll see if I can find some.
    We've had 500-600 vintage mountain bikes through the shop and this is the first set that we have had. Not a common item

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    If someone could provide a few dimensions and some better pics of the shifter mounts I would like to give it a go.

  21. #21
    Stokeless Asshat
    Reputation: jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,360
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight View Post
    We've had 500-600 vintage mountain bikes through the shop and this is the first set that we have had. Not a common item
    Someone needs to make a run of those...with a few tweaks plus some DKG trigger pod copies. I'd be in for a couple of each.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

    Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

  22. #22
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,876
    Quote Originally Posted by classen View Post
    If someone could provide a few dimensions and some better pics of the shifter mounts I would like to give it a go.








    looking for 20-21" P team

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Thanks rockychrysler for the pic and relating your experience with them. Great pics Hollister, thank you. Those are exactly what I'm looking for. Such a bummer that they are fairly impossible to find. I did a few searches without success.

    Thanks to another mtbr thread I found something similar by Kelly Bikes, the Take Off, but it is designed to be used from the tops. (I tried to paste a link to them but I have too few posts, so just do a search.)

    I've been hunting around for some kind of definitive article or thread on the topic of shifters for mountain bikes with drops without success. People refer to past threads but I can't find them. I found a 2004 thread which included a 1990 article by Mike Varney in which he spells out his rig, but he used the WTB mounts. People say to ask Shiggy, and as I can't find any pictures or posts by him that spell out his shifter set up, I guess that's what I'll do.

  24. #24
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,757
    Look in the sticky. There's a link for the official drop bar thread.

    Also, it's safe to assume most people here know all options including Kelly's.

    I love the perches as most everybody else that has tried them. Don't be afraid to use bar end shifters if you can't find them though. Works pretty well without the bling factor.

    edit: Jeff, I just noticed this hijack was still in this thread. Let me know if it bugs you and I can move it.
    Last edited by girlonbike; 05-03-2012 at 02:20 PM.

  25. #25
    Stokeless Asshat
    Reputation: jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,360
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Look in the sticky. There's a link for the official drop bar thread.

    Also, it's safe to assume most people here know all options including Kelly's.

    I love the perches as most everybody else that has tried them. Don't be afraid to use bar end shifters if you can't find them though. Works pretty well without the bling factor.

    edit: Jeff, I just noticed this hijack was still in this thread. Let me know if it bugs you and I can move it.
    Me? Nothing bugs me. Woops wrong Jeff.
    Cools bikes.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

    Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

  26. #26
    mountaingoatcycles.com
    Reputation: First Flight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    edit: Jeff, I just noticed this hijack was still in this thread. Let me know if it bugs you and I can move it.
    Heck no, some of the best information comes out of thread hijacks

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.