Perspective...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Perspective...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Perspective...

It's winter here in the north east, and I plan to ride in the morning. I just wobbled into the hallway trying to decide which bike to ride, all the while concentrating on not spilling my laphroaig. When I got my first mountain bike, in 1989, it was an excercise in compromise. I was working as a laborer on a new continent, and my budget was a reflection of that fact. The red Yokota Tomume with 200gs was the best I could afford.

If anyone back then had told me that 20+ years down the road I'd be picking between the Fat Chance and Bontrager in the hallway, or the Yeti in the basement I'd have figured they were sniffing glue... Yet here I am with just that dillema! Life could have turned out much worse!

REALLY?
    I started riding about the same year you did and I said the same thing back in 96-97 when I first saw a Proflex Animal/856 - yet here I am and I have one - in near mint condition.

My first Mt bike was a Cannondale - and back in 94-95 I had a Bontrager and a GT Psyclone - didnt care for the Bontrager to much, it was good, but not great, out of all of them I liked the GT the best. Wish I still had it, mabie I'll get lucky and score one off ebay like I did with the Proflex.

I may be getting a Giant NRS-3 pretty soon (just the frame)
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by al415
    It's winter here in the north east, and I plan to ride in the morning. I just wobbled into the hallway trying to decide which bike to ride, all the while concentrating on not spilling my laphroaig. When I got my first mountain bike, in 1989, it was an excercise in compromise. I was working as a laborer on a new continent, and my budget was a reflection of that fact. The red Yokota Tomume with 200gs was the best I could afford.

If anyone back then had told me that 20+ years down the road I'd be picking between the Fat Chance and Bontrager in the hallway, or the Yeti in the basement I'd have figured they were sniffing glue... Yet here I am with just that dillema! Life could have turned out much worse!

Your story/dilema sounds a lot like mine. I think most of us are finally able to afford to the bikes we wanted to be riding when we first started riding.

Keep up the riding and collecting life is short
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

VRC Illuminati

Wonderfully put.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    "most of us are finally able to afford to the bikes we wanted to be riding when we first started riding."

That's what i tell people when they ask why I have all these old bikes hanging from my walls. It was hard to afford a Ritchey when i was in high school, the Commando on my wall I got on e-bay for less than two day's pay. It would have been six months pay from my Pizza Hut job in high school.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    all the while concentrating on not spilling my laphroaig.
    laphroaig?

Nice little story, hope you had a great ride!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    https://www.beerstore.com.au/beersto...oaig_large.jpg

One of my favorites. I agree heartily with everything said above. I am working on one of my dream bikes as we speak! The next project is getting a bottle of this into the country.

https://www.lebonvin.co.uk/images/pr...spotwhisky.jpg

Spendy though.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

those are Rollercams...
    I think it's awesome you guys are realizing your dreams by putting together these classics from yesteryear today. I was fortunate enough to have owned almost all(with the exception of a Cunningham ) my dream bikes back when they were easily obtainable, I'm probably older than most of you guys and was in a better financial position than those of you who were still in school. I've pared down my collection to just one classic, my '92 Steve Potts. My other two bikes are of recent vintage but SS and rigid.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Visitor
    I like the drunken melancholy posts the best. They don't come that often but when they do they remind me that there is more to life than my eternal search for the FTW 4130 stem.

Thank you and cheers al415.

Hit The Road Cyclery
    I guess I was lucky in that the first mountain bike I owned was the '93 Bontrager that I still have, which was only a year old when I bought it from a friend for $350. He was moving to Montana and selling everything he owned, though I think he probably could have found somewhere to ride there . The funny thing is that at the time I didn't know it was a "dream bike", only that it was nice and it fit.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005

That jumped out at me, ive been wanting to have a bottle of Lagavulin here. But I dont drink much. The thought brought back some memories though! Thanks

Dumpster Diver
    Quote Originally Posted by hairstream
    They don't come that often but when they do they remind me that there is more to life than my eternal search for the FTW 4130 stem.
    Are you across the pond?
    Stuart

wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

bonked
    Life could have turned out much worse!
    And I hope it stays that way. It's pretty fuct up out there right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED
    Are you across the pond?
    ...sometimes.

Members who have read this thread: 0