"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Stokeless Asshat
    They're great forks. I still ride my other one on occasion. Tons of miles and no rebuild.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Thanks for refreshing my memory Jeff. I had forgotten that I bought the CX from you. Looks like all I need is a new steerer tube! Bonus! I don't know about the CX-1 on the Overdrive, but it's worth trying!

I'll post final pics when the Overdrive is all done.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Mtn Biker Machinist
    I'm mostly concerned about the difference in A-C from the CX-1 to the rigid fork. It's a couple inches IIRC. I'm hesitant to tweak the head angle that much. But if the bug bites me, I just might.

Thanks again!

Mtn Biker Machinist
    I finally got the bars wrapped, and was even able to stuff a Conti Mountain King 2.2 in the rear end (it only measures about 1.75 on the Bontrager Superstock rims)! I still need to fiddle with the stem reach a bit, but it was a blast to ride! I apologize for the non drive side shot, but I was having too much fun riding to worry about the pic too much!

"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-img_0688.jpg

Mtn Biker Machinist
    I just sent the CX-1 fork to MRP for a steerer replacement, and I got a set of Nano's to try. The front fits no problem, but the rear rubs on the chain stays. I was curious about crimping the stays a tiny bit to see if that would help. Any recommendations on how to do that "properly"? I know that's a loaded question!

This bike seems to be in a constant state of change, I am even trying to nail down the correct rise and reach for the stem so I can have Clockwork build me an LD stem.

I am going to try the CX-1 when it comes back, so I will post some more pics when I do.

frog

mtbr member

Cross-Wise

When I hear hybrid, I think cross, steel cross. "Hybrids" are more modern, and usually have aluminum frames. I tried a Trek 7.2 FX, and though fast on pavement, it was a disaster off-road.
    My first cross bike was a 22" Schwinn Crossfit I bought new in '94. It's great and remains trouble-free after all these years jamming on urban and woody routes.
    It never occurred to me to look for something fancier until I started reading bike forums but I remain pragmatic, leaning toward undervalued, capable bikes. It goes to reason that premium bikes are stolen more often, or at least, it stings more when they are. My less-than premium bikes never leave me wanting for more they ride, shift, and brake as well as I'd hope any change I make is done for the sake of comfort. Most of these have been fitted with taller stems, riser bars, and sprung seats to accommodate my 6-3 frame.
    The Kenda tires I like can be had for around $15, and I highly recommend their 38C Hybrid Knobby which is actually much wider, and runs great on street and dirt. The Hybrid Nimbus is a great urban tire, as well as the Kwest.
    I don't care that cross bikes (another name that's been co-opted) do nothing spectacular. I don't require them to be spectacular, and I never set out to do anything spectacular. Perfection is the enemy of fun. Have you seen the faces of people on their high-dollar speedsters? Their expression is usually grim. Here are a few that have brought a smile to my face for just being fun, and stylishly down-to-earth. (Kenda Hybrid Knobby, Schwinn Crossfit, Miyata Triple-Cross, Specialized Crossroads (3), Bianchi Boardwalk, Trek 7.2 FX)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-lizard-tread-web1.jpg  

"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-crossfit-web1.jpg  

"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-miyata-cross-web1.jpg  

"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-blue-cr-web1.jpg  

"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-red-cr-web1.jpg  

"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-silver-cr-web1.jpg  

"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-bianchi-cross-web1.jpg  

"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-trek-fx-web1.jpg  

Saving the 90's, one bike at a time.

Stokeless Asshat
    That's commitment. I'm glad the fork ended up being used.
    For crimping clunkers I've used a 1 7/8 socket for the dimple and a sculpted soft wood block on the outside to protect the stay. A large pair of vice grips works if you can't fit it all in a vice. I've never tried this on chromoly though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    I just sent the CX-1 fork to MRP for a steerer replacement, and I got a set of Nano's to try. The front fits no problem, but the rear rubs on the chain stays. I was curious about crimping the stays a tiny bit to see if that would help. Any recommendations on how to do that "properly"? I know that's a loaded question!

This bike seems to be in a constant state of change, I am even trying to nail down the correct rise and reach for the stem so I can have Clockwork build me an LD stem.

I am going to try the CX-1 when it comes back, so I will post some more pics when I do.

frog
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    That's commitment. I'm glad the fork ended up being used.
    For crimping clunkers I've used a 1 7/8 socket for the dimple and a sculpted soft wood block on the outside to protect the stay. A large pair of vice grips works if you can't fit it all in a vice. I've never tried this on chromoly though.
    I got the fork back and installed last night. It raises the front end a good bit, but I won't know how it rides until I get it all put together. I've been trying different tires, and found a couple that might work in the rear, so no crimping for now.

I made a set of adapters for drop bars to run a set rapidfire shifters I had.

I don't know what my obsession with this bike is. It have tried it so many different ways, and I can't seem to get it just right, but I keep trying. The jury is still out on whether I'm going to drop the coin for an LD stem, but this is the bike I'm using for a race in April:

The Wild Horse

Pics once it's put together.

frog

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Nice bikes, I got hooked on the hybrids with a trek multitrack, but the fit was not good for me.
    I went on and now have
    scott santa fe frame with drop bars
    schwinn crisscross
    and a fila branded frame.
    700x38 tires on them.
    great commuter bikes.
    "Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-fila.jpg"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-scott.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hi folks, nice thread, nice bikes!

I'm trying to identify a steel touring frame I've had for about 15 years. It's become a favorite bike over the years with many different incarnations. I bought it at a local Canberra (Australia) second hand shop, frame and fork.

I've shown it to a few locals with no luck, including local builder Wayne Kotzur.

The serial number is M5KT01017. It's relatively light with a 1" threaded steerer, 130 rear spacing and it takes a 26.4 seat post which is a tight fit. The seat tube is slightly externally butted near the top.

Any info or suggestions on where to look or ask would be appreciated! Maybe one of the images reminds you of one of your bikes?

Latest upgrade is a set of carbon rims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Bike-tech MultiCross XT

Hello everyone,

Here is an early 90's 700c MTB which you've likely never seen or heard of before, designed in Germany and made in Japan.

"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-bt-6.jpg

Markus Storck was the importer of Klein bicycles into Germany, back in the day. To compliment the Kleins in his portfolio, he created the Bike-tech brand, built around steel frames.

When this MultiCross XT came to me, it was equipped with Ritchey flat bars and stem, but when I saw the tallish head tube and smallish top tube for its size, I knew I was going to drop it.

"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-tk-pm-3.jpg

I have run as wide as 700 x 50 Schwalbe Marathon Almotion tires in it so far, but really like the WTB Riddler 700 x 45 on it for capability on many surfaces.

For example, the action shots were taken at a recent cyclocross race, in which pavement, gravel, grass, dirt, mud, rocks, ice, snow and a water crossing were all in play, often simultaneously.

"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-tk-pm-2.jpg

And yes, I am riding it with the BarCons in friction mode with the XT drivetrain. I missed out on a set of Shimano 7-speed bar end shifters as I was building it, but haven't really missed indexing much while riding the bike, and like the repetition of black on orange at the end of the bars. Next step: swap in a short cage rear derailleur.

Cheers,
    The Kid

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Shogun Trail Breaker III

This is my ShogunTRail BReaker III, Cro-Mo handmade frame, my everyday ride to commute to my job and traffic-free go to market in the weekends."Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's-cam00036.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Answer Manitou 700c suspension fork help

Quote Originally Posted by luisghernan View Post
    This is my ShogunTRail BReaker III, Cro-Mo handmade frame, my everyday ride to commute to my job and traffic-free go to market in the weekends.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00036.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	1120514
    Just picked up a set,their first model from around 95,can anyone tell me if it is possible to remove the stanctions,I think I may need a second set of these.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 25