Paul derailleur- Mtbr.com

Thread: Paul derailleur

Feb 2004

Paul derailleur

Just to clairify, I dont really know how Vintage or Retro this is (so it might not belong in this forum) but thats why Im asking you.

How rare, and valueable is a very good condition Paul rear derailleur?

I know they sold for $289 new.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickmtb
    Just to clairify, I dont really know how Vintage or Retro this is (so it might not belong in this forum) but thats why Im asking you.

They come up on eBay occassionally and sell for decent money. I'd say they were retro - but what do I know?

I remember reading a review in one of the mtb mags when they were for sale from Paul. The article concluded that they didn't work as well as an XTR derailler, cost about twice as much, but looked really cool.

artistic...

no, they did cost 3x more than xtr..

Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    They come up on eBay occassionally and sell for decent money. I'd say they were retro - but what do I know?

I remember reading a review in one of the mtb mags when they were for sale from Paul. The article concluded that they didn't work as well as an XTR derailler, cost about twice as much, but looked really cool.
    the main advantages of paul's was being rebuildable. case is: xtr derrailleurs are so good... you had to be very anti shimano to pay 3x more on a paul.

mtn biker in a city
    Feb 2004
    why, do you have one?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    the main advantages of paul's was being rebuildable. case is: xtr derrailleurs are so good... you had to be very anti shimano to pay 3x more on a paul.
    I've got a front and a rear rasta color set myself of these Pauls on a Trimble. Definately retro in my book as yare CNC, anodized, "almost" 10 years old, American made, and fairly uncommon -- all good characteristics to qualify for retro in my book.

Regarding the "rebuildable" part, that was a claim when Paul sold them originally, but good luck finding the parts now days to rebuild one. I could be wrong but I would be surprised if Paul is offering all or any of the parts to rebuild these guys, and to be frank, who wants to rebuild a derailer??? It's like filling milk jugs --- it's no longer cool . . .

I really like the look of the old Pauls derailers (as well as the Precision Billet and Joes) though my favorite CNC shift effort has got to be a shout out to the old White Industries Derailer's/Shifters.

White's shift system was not just a reinvention of the "shifting wheel" but a "revolution" of the shift/derailer design. How sad that such a great design idea died out? From everything I've read and heard the performance of this design was stellar (except maybe the setup). Yeah they were expensive, but so is anything American made and beautiful. No one complains about paying more for a set of Callaway drivers or a Hummer truck. Why shouldn't we pay more for American designed/made shifting?

-mtnwing

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Not worth much IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by nickmtb

While they may have looked nice they didn't shift well and were not innovative. Any Shimano derailleur will outshift a Paul's deraulleur in a heartbeat...even down below the Alivio line. Joe's and the Precision Billet derailleurs also shifted better...although still not on par with XT or XTR.

And about that rebuildable thing....As someone else pointed out that might have been nice when they were being made but now good luck finding replacement parts. And Mavic derailleurs have been all bolted together and rebuildable forever so that wasn't a new idea.

Sep 2005
    Saw this thread on Paul Deraillers...

I read in The Dancing Chain (I borrowed the book from the library) the the Paul derailler was based on the Suntour Cyclone, or was it the VGT, I forget. I thought this was king of interesting.
    Last edited by Steel Ridr; 10-01-2005 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux

I may have read the same review. The conlusion was to buy three XTRs and replace them as needed. Even a bent XTR would work better.

They look cool and they would be fun to have but no one will buy them for how they worked. They go for more on Ebay than what they're worth in my opinion.

A while back Paul had a note addressing these on his site. It started with an appology for being swept up in the CNC craze a bit too much. He no longer supports them since there were a few redesigns and revisions so there were too many variants of the parts to make continuing support possible. Even if you can find a replacement part for them, it might not work for the version you have. American Cyclery in SF has a mobile made from a bunch of the spare parts above their register. I doubt they would part with any.

mtbr member