Parts that last and last and last and last......- Mtbr.com
    Stokeless Asshat

Parts that last and last and last and last......

I was moving some parts around on a few bikes today and I realized that these peddles and cranks have seen constant use since new. The Times have seen a few bearing rebuilds in the last decade and the cranks have been relegated to SS duty only for the same period. What is that? 12, 13 years of hard use and still ticking? The age of the cranks does concern me but I just can't seem to find the heart to send them down to town duty. The saddle is totally hammed and even though I switched to Brooks solely in 2000 this thing still brings a smile to my butt when it makes it onto a rider.
    J
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

artistic...
    i have the first gen. time atac. the green ones. still in use.
    un71 or 51 i don't even know... it's still rolling and it's been heavily used.
    94 lx cranks and rings. still rolling.
    DC 987 brakes from 1993. still rolling.

avid arch rival from 99. still rolling.
    marz bomber from 99. still rolling.
    avocet 02 from 96 still rolling.

there you go.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Shimano 747 clipless. Anything with King or Thomson written on it.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    I was moving some parts around on a few bikes today and I realized that these peddles and cranks have seen constant use since new. The Times have seen a few bearing rebuilds in the last decade and the cranks have been relegated to SS duty only for the same period. What is that? 12, 13 years of hard use and still ticking? The age of the cranks does concern me but I just can't seem to find the heart to send them down to town duty. The saddle is totally hammed and even though I switched to Brooks solely in 2000 this thing still brings a smile to my butt when it makes it onto a rider.
    J
    Old Flite saddles are the best. Never had an issue with them and I run them on just about everything.

I'm surprised at the Revolution cranks since they usually get a bad rep for breakage.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Stokeless Asshat
    The cranks have hardly ever seen wet weather riding. Most of the breakage pics I've seen have included rust. That might be the reason. Or I'm just lucky.
    J

Want:

I'm just messing with you
    My Bomber fork had been going strong for about 10 years until today when I was cleaning the bike up and noticed a crack in the crown If I can find a part for it I'll keep it going another 10.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    My Bomber fork had been going strong for about 10 years until today when I was cleaning the bike up and noticed a crack in the crown If I can find a part for it I'll keep it going another 10.
    You clean your bike? Lame.
    J

Want:

mtbr member
    King headset, 1" threadless, purple anodized and before laser etching. Bought new in '93, ran offroad fully rigid until about 2000. Currently in use on my road bike once or twice a week, and you'd have a hard time telling the difference between that and a new one. I take it out once a year to rotate the cups and because I feel guilty for doing absolutely nothing to it by way of maintenance.

iRonic

Wish I could find a crack in this old fork...

Took it apart about a month back. To my surprise, all the elastomers where in pretty good shape. The boots literally crumbled off the fork though.

Put some boots on from another cheap suspension fork and buttered it up. Now it makes this punching bag sound every time it compresses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ron

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    Shimano 747 clipless. Anything with King or Thomson written on it.
    747s?!? I think not... 737s on the other hand.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Those gloss black LX derailleurs...

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by sho220
    Those gloss black LX derailleurs...

the uglyest rear derrailleur from shimano.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    747s?!? I think not... 737s on the other hand.
    My 747s are the most reliable part I've ever bought. I've had mine since 96, they've been on about 10 of my race bikes since, and I've never had a problem. My newer-gen XT pedals are equally reliable.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

737s are the bomb... 500g of last forever clipless pedals... plus the only ones that ever employed a dual-spring side mechanism from shimano for step-down entry (all their others were single-springs per side, so toe-first entry). I got mine in 1992 and they're still working fine.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    My Ibis Hot Unit. Keeping coffee warm since 1995.

One last pair of minty 80's Suntour XC-II beartraps you can pry from my cold, dead hand.
    Last edited by mainlyfats; 07-20-2009 at 11:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    the uglyest rear derrailleur from shimano.
    Certainly nothing fancy looking but they do their job well and last forever...kind of goes along with the title of this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Old Flite saddles are the best. Never had an issue with them and I run them on just about everything.
    The Flite Concourse <sp> Light that came on my Zaskar is a brick.... not heavy, but torture. Is that pretty typical on a 19 yr old seat?

Old but fat.
    I second the LX derailleurs... Preferred them before XT's back then and still do...

They're about the same accept for the back steel plate on the LX I think...

mtbr member
    My Bullseye front hub, it must be 14 years old and onto itsí 4th bike. My Bullseye cranks are just as old, but they can be a pain in the arse (love/ hate thing with them) whereas the hub is faultless.

The black LX derailleurs were basically the silver DX derailleurs with a different code stamped into them, that's why they last so long. DX at least offered a short cage option.

mtbr member

phil

Is no one feeling phil hubs?
    They will last longer then...........
    Looking for a P7, k14 or f12 1inch

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    The black LX derailleurs were basically the silver DX derailleurs with a different code stamped into them, that's why they last so long. DX at least offered a short cage option.

DX looked better.

Oh indeed. My 1991 RM Stratos (which still hasn't cracked) still has the original Deore DX derailleurs on it. EVERYTHING else has changed, at least once... but the derailleurs never needed changing.

mtbr member
    WTB-modified Hi-E hubs. Still going strong (and smooth) since 1986. The Saturae (Specialized) X-22 rims have also lasted all these years as have the Specialized crank arms. Also include the original bottle cages and WTB fixed angle seatpost.
    MB

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    (Cold-)Forged crankarms, e.g. M900 XTR.

mtbr member
    Black, 1990 Chris King headset, been on 4 frames, still in heavy use and perfect.

Speedplay Frogs from the first run in the "magnum color", lubed every year or so, still in constant use since '92.

Avid Arch Supremes still haul my SS down from speed, perfectly every time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The original front derailleur and cantis on my 87 schwinn sierra that I ride as a commuter. Outside of the frame and fork, they are the only original parts running on the bike.

Shimano 531 SIS and Shimano AT50

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mavic Paris Dakar Front hub, got it in 1989. It has been relaced 4 times and only gone through one set of bearings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro MB
    WTB-modified Hi-E hubs. Still going strong (and smooth) since 1986. The Saturae (Specialized) X-22 rims have also lasted all these years as have the Specialized crank arms. Also include the original bottle cages and WTB fixed angle seatpost.

Some of the sweetest hubs ever. Great wheelset you have.

-Schmitty-

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    Some of the sweetest hubs ever. Great wheelset you have.

-Schmitty-
    What was the mod? I have a set of stock ones around here somewhere.
    J

Want:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    What was the mod? I have a set of stock ones around here somewhere.
    J
    The front hub was widened to fill the space between the dropouts. The rear hub was modified to provide 136mm dropout spacing [WTB bikes (Potts and Cunningham) were the first to provide this spacing) and zero dish.
    MB

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a black king headset that has been on 2 bikes before the one i ride now, and now on this one. i skipped about 2 years of riding, but other than that id say its been in use for about 10 years. still works perfect. its been on bmx its entire life, and ridden pretty damn hard.

I also have a pair of profile bmx cranks that have been on the same bikes. still work great to this day, only thing ive done to both parts is grease em up.

they both have their fair share of dings, scratches and crashes, but i could see them lasting another 10.

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with Syncros stems and seatposts, XT shifters and hubs, DT spokes, RaceFace aluminum bars and almost everything Ultegra.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    I've had good luck with ... almost everything Ultegra.
    Whats that? I've never heard of Ultegra.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    MAVIC HIGH CONE HEADSET!
    I have had this on a yo eddy since 1994 along with the mavic bottom bracket and crank rock solid!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post

I'm surprised at the Revolution cranks since they usually get a bad rep for breakage.
    The fact that there are so many old flites still being used way past the point of ugliness is testament to their near perfection in design.
    I don't own any anymore as I am basically all fiziks now for other reasons. Still looking for one that is as comfortable as an original flite. The new antares model may be close.

Spin it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro MB View Post
    WTB-modified Hi-E hubs. Still going strong (and smooth) since 1986.
    +1 on those hubs. I think part of the longevity of these hubs was careful selection of the bearings for lowest internal clearance.

If I understand correctly, most bearing vendors have relatively large internal clearance since the bearing are intended for high-speed operation, where the bearings heat up and need the to clearance to avoid seizing up. Some vendors provided smaller clearances which were the preferred ones.

Witty McWitterson
    SunTour XC Pro GG hubset. Can't kill 'em.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    I'll add Paul Word hubs, Surly Singulators and almost everything made by Nitto.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    I'll add Paul Word hubs, Surly Singulators and almost everything made by Nitto.
    Geez when did paul hubs and singulators get vintage? How old am I that I still think they are new parts?

I agree with the singulators but the original one with the external nutted tension adjustment was much stouter than the new ones that adjust with the cone wrench. I am still riding my original but we have broken 2 of the newer ones on the AZ rocks.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Geez when did paul hubs and singulators get vintage? How old am I that I still think they are new parts?

I agree with the singulators but the original one with the external nutted tension adjustment was much stouter than the new ones that adjust with the cone wrench. I am still riding my original but we have broken 2 of the newer ones on the AZ rocks.
    Pretty sure the first Word hub/singulator combo I bought is old enough to drive now.

poser Administrator
    Pretty sure the first Word hub/singulator combo I bought is old enough to drive now.
    That's a funny way to put it. I have some bullseye hubs that are already married and thinking their 401k isn't performing as well as they had hoped.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    That's a funny way to put it. I have some bullseye hubs that are already married and thinking their 401k isn't performing as well as they had hoped.
    I ride daily on Suntour pedals that are secretly praying their kid doesn't get in to grad school.

velocipede technician
    I'll add Paul Word hubs,.
    nice hubs, not the best bearings
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    nice hubs, not the best bearings
    I got 9 or 10 years of zero-maintenance city commuting out of the first set on the rear. I think that works out to less than a penny a week for bearings, but you're right they weren't entirely maintenance-free.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    M735 rear derailleur and M900 cranks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    This bike has seen alley cat races, 3 MN winters being ridden in weather down to -10, and has rarely been cleaned and never re-greased (although the headset and BB were replaced four years ago). The front rim is out-of-round but other than that she still works well and hasn't given me any problems other than just lack-of-maintenance. It has crappy 200 GS parts (biopace!) and the chainrings are riveted instead of bolted...that's how low-end it is. But she's a champ. When she dies I think i'll hang the frame on my wall...

Keep the Rubber Side Down!

Wanted: Judy FSX decals

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    Pretty much anything XC Pro - have thousands of miles on a bunch of that old Suntour!
    RapidCreekCycles

Palisade, CO - Ride the Rim Trail!
    Niner
    Ibis
    COPMOBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winans View Post
    Pretty much anything XC Pro - have thousands of miles on a bunch of that old Suntour!
    Except for the worst freehub of all time. I'm using XC Pro brakes on my Surly Cross Check right now, and a GG XC Pro BB in my 86 Stumpie.

I have one XC Comp freehub I finally had to take off of my spouse's '91 Hoo Koo E Koo. Its wobbling all over the place, I'm surprised it still made it for a season or two of off road riding. Back in 1990 when they came out I couldn't get one to last more than a month, literally.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Shimano M755 disc brake. Had it since 2000, I think. It's survived countless DH runs in Quebec and never given me any trouble. All I have to do is change the pads when I wear them out.

Time ATAC pedals. Have a set each of Carbon and Carbon Ti pedals, both of them are around a dozen years old, or whenever it was that they first switched to a screw-on metal collar instead of a circlip to hold it together. They just plain work and require minimal maintenance.

Shimano M950 parts. I have an entire M950 groupset minus the cogs & hubs that came off a pro's bike from when I worked in a bike shop. It was raced all over Canada for 3 years then I got it and rode the heck out of it all over Ontario & Quebec for the next decade. Other than replacing the chainrings it's all still original & working great.

mtbr member
    I didnít think this worthy of its own thread, but might fit in here.

Re: Campagnolo Record Off Road (O.R.) derailleurs
    Mavic 860 RD

Anybody have much experience with these?

Iím planning to build up a late-50s English path racer, mostly with non-period touring gear. I have an old Campy SR crank that I had tripleized by Elliot Bay Cycles in Seattle to 50/41/28. My current options for a front derailleur are either a Mavic 860 FD or this sweet Record O.R. Obviously, the OR derailleur was originally for a mountain bike, but my triple will have a large drop from 41 to 28, given the 144bcd limits of the original crank arm for outer rings. FWIW: The RD will be a 3rd gen Campy Rally.

I presume someone here will be familiar with the Campy OR, possibly the Mavic, too.

Anyone able to comment or offer insights regarding the performance of either of these, please?

Thanks.

P.S. Ė no photos of the frame, as it is stuck in the UK, supposedly being refinished but coming on 8 months overdue. Thus, I tinker with parts.

ish
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's worthy of its own thread. Apparently anything goes these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ish View Post
    . . . Apparently anything goes these days.

This is a pretty strong reason not to do that. I don't want to fill up the forum, when a nice parts thread will do. Anybody have experience with either of these FDs?

Thanks.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by LeicaLad View Post
    This is a pretty strong reason not to do that. I don't want to fill up the forum, when a nice parts thread will do. Anybody have experience with either of these FDs?

Thanks.
    Mavic looks beautifull and apt to anything.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Colker.

Yes, the Mavic is a nice looking piece. This model seemed to come in two versions: one with a huge MAVIC on the cage arm, and one, like this example, that is plain. I like the look of this plain one. I've had it a long time, but have never used it.

Sorta like the NOS pink Ofmega Mistral RD I have hanging above my desk. I know it works fine, but I just haven't come up with the right frame to put it on.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    The Record OR will have a hard time with the 50T outer. It's designed around a 42-44T big ring so the cage has a tighter radius to it.
    The older Campy MTB parts were desidned around larger rings. A Euclid would be your best bet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    The Record OR will have a hard time with the 50T outer. It's designed around a 42-44T big ring so the cage has a tighter radius to it.
    The older Campy MTB parts were desidned around larger rings. A Euclid would be your best bet.

Arghh! I didn't know this. Thanks, I guess. Exactly why I needed to ask the question.

Members who have read this thread: 0