Paint bubbling- Mtbr.com

Thread: Paint bubbling

FreeRider 4 Real (not!)

Paint bubbling

There is some slight paint bubbling on the top tube of my C26..#! wrong, on my FRO 1991.

I scraped away some paint and the steel where shiny, should I remove the bubbling paint anyways (is it caused by rust)?

Since it is original turquoise paint I dont want to mess with the paint considering it has a wonderful patina (in other words, its been abused or used, depending how you view things, but still sold to me claiming paint was in fine condition, yeah right).
    Federation Against 29:ers
    In memory of nino - godfather of weight weeniesm, banned but not forgotten, sept 2010.

He be a moose too.
    Paint bubbling without corrosion is generally caused by so-so prep work. It can take years for this to appear but once it does appear, there isn't much you can do about it. If you like the patina, think of the bubbling as part of the patina.

What bothers you more, the bubbling or place without paint. Given that it is steel, you're going to have to fix it eventually. See other threads about retouching the paint, often a mediocre fix is worse than the original defect.

I have one frame with minor bubbling around bottle bolts but it aluminum so it's not related to corrosion.

FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    Ah, I see, so then I need a vintage can of retro -Yeti [email protected]@k rare Turquoise paint-, last set sold for 146 dollars on the bay (and it was half empty and dried up), damn, where the f"k will I find it up here in chilly Sweden - the land of the vikings.

But seriously, the spot I opened up is so tiny, I will just put some nail polish on it.
    Federation Against 29:ers
    In memory of nino - godfather of weight weeniesm, banned but not forgotten, sept 2010.

Bird watcher
    Yeti painters were a bunch of schmucks. I stripped mine to find finger prints and hand prins all over. It was never prepped properly. Just welded up then powdered. Oh well. To preserve yours i would open up the bad parts then after cleaning with some denatured alcohol swab it with some linseed oil. Let it dry and ride away. Touch it up a once a year depending on how much you ride it and you should be good.

He be a moose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by erkan
    Ah, I see, so then I need a vintage can of retro -Yeti [email protected]@k rare Turquoise paint
    I had a new fork put on a custom painted bike. They charged me $35 per color to guarantee a match. There were reasons they couldn't use the original paint. First off, the paints change over time, second the paints fade over time so even if the original paint was available unchanged, it wouldn't match anyways. So, they charged me $105 and the match was perfect.

So go to a qualified painter and they can match the color. Whether or not they can touch up the frame is a different issue and they might not be able to, but they might. It is highly unlikely that you would be able to do a sufficient job (if you have to ask on an mtbr forum, you probably can't do it yourself :-)

Members who have read this thread: 0