Other vintage designs

Printable View

• 08-26-2012
    Wyody
    10 Attachment(s)
    Other vintage designs
    Here are a few vintage designs I did a few years ago when I was still designing in the Bicycle Industry.
    Some made production some didn't! Some made me some money and some didn't lol!
    Some/most got rip off by other manufactures and are still be sold today!
    I invented a way to get around the Horst Link on most rear suspensions with a straight through quick release axle that became the rear pivot back in 1991 and is now being used by Trek!
    I designed a huge front Suspension fork for Azonic.
    I designed Azonics first down hill type handle bar stem which was copied by others.
    I designed the rear suspension that uses a old Suzuki linkage design that was used by many companies like Kona!
    I designed a chain guide with Patent for a company but they never had the enough fund to market it right,it was designed so you could still shift the front gears!
    I designed a suspension cross bar for the same company as the chain guide called ADD advanced downhill designs!
    I designed the Straddle Rods to help the braking power of a cantilever brake system, which was licensed to Odyssey.
    I designed and licensed a suspension stem and a front suspension fork for Odyssey also but the fork was rip off by other companies the machine shop who was manufacturing it for Odyssey and tried to sell it under the name Team Groove, but I patent different features of it so the had to pay me also!
    I designed the first ever " locking handlebar grip" for Azonic/Oneal but it was lost out the back door before they could get a patent! the person quit working for Azonic and took it to another grip company who took it to Taiwan to be manufacture and then it was history lol!
  • 08-26-2012
    Wyody
    6 Attachment(s)
    Other pictures
    More pictures of my designs here and there.
  • 08-26-2012
    Shogun700
    Cool stuff, thanks for posting.

I'm glad you at least got paid for some of it! In far too many cases the inventor gets the short end of the stick.
  • 08-26-2012
    colker1
    awesome.. !!!:thumbsup:
  • 08-27-2012
    Major
    Really interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!
  • 08-27-2012
    bing!
    Great stuff.
  • 08-27-2012
    its-all-good
    Great history here.
  • 08-27-2012
    Wyody
    Thanks you guys! I really want to get back in to designing for the Bicycle Industry its always been my passion, and I was recently laid off a job of designing strollers and wheelchairs for handicap children for the last 15 years! I still ride at least once a week or more, but this mountain bike site will help me get more informed on whats going on with mountain bikes in general. and I am hoping to get over to the Interbike show coming up to try and sell/license some of my new ideas since I really need the money being single dad and all! thanks again!
  • 08-27-2012
    Wyody
    I am going to try and start a So.Cal. night race club if any one is interested? it would be free and volunteer ran, we would be able to race up hill,downhill and some cross country in places that you usually could not during the day. we have done two unofficial races just with some friends and family in the Palos Verdes area and it was really fun! if some one could please help me to where I can post this on this site I would appreciate? I have already had a friend post it for me on Craigs List bicycles for sale just to see the results. we will try and get some bicycle shops/sponsors to help out with prizes and gifts even though it will still be free with volunteers helping run it. thanks!
  • 08-28-2012
    albin0rhin0
    Very cool stuff.
  • 08-28-2012
    Wyody
    mt.bike designs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by albin0rhin0 View Post
    Very cool stuff.

Thank You so much it was a lot of work but I loved it! But now I need a job and would love to get back in the bicycle industry especially designing mt.bikes and components again! I have many new ideas for mt.bikes since we ride a lot, and my sons and their friends are always telling me what they need or what would be cool!
  • 08-28-2012
    Sideknob
    Don't forget Crestone and their rubber band powered fork and rear suspension? :D
  • 08-28-2012
    Wyody
    Yes that design was really cool and never got enough credit! the designer was a french guy I think from Canada. I helped fix that design up abit more for racing and actually raced it in the 1993 World Championship in Vail, Colorado with that design on the USA vet downhill team. it had more travel then most back then but just needed a rebound control for faster speeds, so I mounted a adjustable hydraulic dampener to both ends and seemed to work okay. but the plastic bushings in the sliding tubes were not up to par! it was good enough for any trail riding but it never took off I guess? A really good inventor and old friend of mine who has invented successfully in many different industries owned that company, Mike Lowe. You might recognize the "Lowe "name since he invented all the Lowe rock climbing and other out door equipment! I still have one or two of those rubber band forks some where.
  • 08-31-2012
    First Flight
    Know where to get the rubber bands for a Crestone? We have a frame/fork with broken bands on it.
  • 08-31-2012
    gmats
    Aloha, lots of really neat historic stuff. Thanks so much for posting. This is the kind of stuff that needs to be in the Mountain Bike Museum in Crested Butte.

The Mountain Bike Hall of Fame - Crested Butte, Colorado
  • 08-31-2012
    Rumpfy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Aloha, lots of really neat historic stuff. Thanks so much for posting. This is the kind of stuff that needs to be in the Mountain Bike Museum in Crested Butte.

MBHOF is bunk for historic bike stuff. Its better off at MOMBAT.
  • 08-31-2012
    Wyody
    Quote:

Originally Posted by First Flight View Post
    Know where to get the rubber bands for a Crestone? We have a frame/fork with broken bands on it.

No not really! but I,ll check my storage, or you could put a gas charged shock from a car door lift? I did that to one of them.
  • 08-31-2012
    Wyody
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmats View Post

The Mountain Bike Hall of Fame - Crested Butte, Colorado

I am trying to get some of my prototypes,preproduction and first article stuff together to put in a portfolio!
    Thanks!