OT: Retro Day Packs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

OT: Retro Day Packs

any of you guys try to buy a new daypack lately? i can't even figure out what half of those straps are for. i was thinking about retiring my old '81 'wilderness experience' pack- the style that used to be called a 'klettersack'. real basic, just a rectangle with a pocket on top. since the new ones are so bizarre (to me) i thought i'd look for an old style one on ebay. figured i'd pick one up for cheap. i had no idea folks were paying eighty+ bucks for used daypacks.... now i know how non-vrc bike shoppers feel.

mtbr member
    I still use this one. 1 broken zipper, dorky 1990 greenish teal Mountainsmith, but I like it better than a pack, and it is the perfect size for me. 20 +years and counting....

Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    If you want a lumbar pack, Arcteryx Q10's are awesome. It is big enough for most warm weather day hiking stuff for me. For more volume with a smaller backpack I like is Black Diamond's Bullet pack (though the older versions were better I think--a bit narrower and taller). They are slim and have a thin waist belt, hydration pockets/holes, and comfy shoulder straps.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

He be a moose too.
    Aemmer, I believe you have the Mountainsmith tour pack (http://mountainsmith.com/products.as...bCategory2Id=0) I have had on since 1995 and have two of the packs in question.

I use them frequently and when I travel long term, always have one with me, as such, one of them is getting a little worn but still useful. In fact, it is sitting a few feet away from me as I write to you from a distant land. I can highly recommend this pack and use it over a small day pack. Big enough, but not too big. Cinches down nicely with plenty of adjustment so things don't bounce around.

Only complaint with it, bag the shoulder strap, it gets in the way and slinging the waist belt around your shoulders does just fine. I sent in the pack to have a zipper replaced ten years after I bought it. Mountainsmith fixed the zipper for free and did lots of other touchups to to it. It looked so nice that when I took it out of the box, I thought they had given me a new fanny pack.

mtbr member
    The new packs are nice. The straps can be used to expand and contract the cargo storage compartment so that whatever you're carrying will not shift around inside the pack. It makes for a quieter and more comfortable ride.

Also, many of the newer day packs have a compartment for a water reservoir in them. You can take the bladder from any hydration system and carry it inside your day pack, turning it into a really big CamelBack. On long rides where I need to carry rain gear, a water filter, and other items, I use an REI day pack. It fits snugly to my body, is lighter than most large hydration packs, and carries as much as I need.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    See Amazon.............Canvas rucksack/daypack etc. I would post link but my employer
    has military strength webfilters deployed.

Good "retro" stuff here.................
    http://www.rothco.com/general/index.cfm
    Last edited by ewbee; 02-16-2010 at 06:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jandd used to make a nice one, you may want to look at their choices.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewbee
    See Amazon.............Canvas rucksack/daypack etc. I would post link but my employer
    has military strength webfilters deployed.

They they they......shoot you?!
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Worse.............they ask too many questions.

Trying to grow a mustache
    I've got a Timbuk2 Lex that's great. Made in the USA, simple, comfy, waterproof enough and the custom order took 7 calendar days from ordering to delivering with a holiday in between, I got the extra large which is HUGE!!!
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    I still use this one. 1 broken zipper, dorky 1990 greenish teal Mountainsmith,
    I have the same one and I got a RA# to send it back to Mountainsmith where they installed all new zippers & the shock cord at no charge! They picked on me about the age of the bag and that I was still using it.

https://www.mountainsmith.com/info.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Members who have read this thread: 0