Old Yeti(?) beer can and lawn chair ad- Mtbr.com
    Bike Dork

Old Yeti(?) beer can and lawn chair ad

I remember an ad from the early-90s or before and I just can't find it in any of my archives. Can some one ID it for me.

I seem to remember it being Yeti back when they only made steel frames, but it might not be Yeti. It was some beer cans and lawn furniture welded together into the "bike frame" and the caption said something like ' Let other builders use beer can and lawn furniture material, we'll use steel.' I remember thinking it was ironic because within a couple years they were building with aluminum like everybody else

This was one of my fave ads and as I get older the details seem to fade and I'd love to see it again if someone has a scan.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    I think it was an Easton ad for ProGram tubing in the mid-'90's

Bike Dork
    Nope that's not it, because it was definitely anti-aluminum.

Also if this helps it was a small ad like 1/8 page.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    It was Anti CHEAP/THIN aluminum...taking a dig at Cannondale, etc...

I remember the ad...Easton was the first to offer butted aluminum mass market and the ad was for them, I thought...

mtbr member
    FAT chance had a poster with copy along the lines of "crush an aluminum beer can on your forehead, now try it with a Steel can..."

I think Yeti actually welded or glued a frame up out of beer cans for a trade show...yeah I'm stalling as I try to find that ad for you!

REALLY?
    I remember that ad...too funny.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    FAT chance had a poster with copy along the lines of "crush an aluminum beer can on your forehead, now try it with a Steel can..."

I think Yeti actually welded or glued a frame up out of beer cans for a trade show...yeah I'm stalling as I try to find that ad for you!
    I remember the beer can frame. Not the ad though.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue
    I remember the beer can frame. Not the ad though.
    ???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    looking for 20-21" P team

REALLY?
    You know...I remember a beer can frame too, I was going to re-edit my post, but since you brough it up.

I couldnt find the actual pic, but I did find a bike someone stickerd to look like beer cans. (well, sorta)

DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

REALLY?
    This must be a mt bikers idea of a tail-gate party.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    ???
    What was the text on that ad?
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Bike Dork
    Damn. . . maybe I'm conflating a couple different ads in my head. Alas, my magazine collection is 2500 miles away in boxes in my folks basement or I'd be spending the next week combing those things for the answer.

Well the pic was similar to the one hollister posted except it was pointing the other way, B&W, and kinda head-on 3/4 view. At least that's what I have in my head. The text was something along the lines of 'the other guys make their bikes out of the same stuff as beer cans and lawn furniture which is why we use steel.'

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    ???

I wonder or am thinking they soldered that, a torch would have cut through those cans like nothing.

mtbr member

not stickers

thats fine paint work, I've seen it out on the trails

Dumpster Diver
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro
    a torch would have cut through those cans like nothing.
    Not true, my friend's dad used to give him aluminum cans to practice welding. He told him once he learned to weld thin aluminum cans, he could weld anything. Well I watched him learn and he's become one of the most respected "doctors" if you will, for many of the world's most treasured automobiles, www.juicebrakes.com
    Stuart

wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

Visitor
    SoCal Racer. BAD ASS Yetified. Thanks for the link.

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED
    Not true, my friend's dad used to give him aluminum cans to practice welding. He told him once he learned to weld thin aluminum cans, he could weld anything. Well I watched him learn and he's become one of the most respected "doctors" if you will, for many of the world's most treasured automobiles, www.juicebrakes.com
    Really? Very cool.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    yeah... but try winning the mammoth kamikaze on a steel can.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Members who have read this thread: 0