Old Raceface Cranks info- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Old Raceface Cranks info

I have some older Raceface cranks that I am trying to find some info on. I believe the are part of a series called the IB and I think they are from the early 90's. I thought I remember purchasing them as a downhill model. The cranks have the length and serial number hand scribed on them and if you look at them from the side (the logo side) the backside of the crank is wider than the front part of the beam. The spider is also threaded on and is held by some kind of super epoxy. These are VERY stiff cranks. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am going to post this in the drivetrain forum as well because I am still trying to figure out exactly wich forum to post this in.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Turbine I-Beam, first made 1993, takes a 122.5 to 127.5mm BB spindle, 74/110 spider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That spider will accept both 74mm and 58mm rings. If you look closely, you'll see two sets of holes in it. I had ordered a RF crank in the early 90s, and they shipped that model...with a blue spider. However, I wanted an all blue crank, so I had that one sent back. I wish now I hadn't...good old hindsight...

Ciao
    Scott

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Choke
    That spider will accept both 74mm and 58mm rings. If you look closely, you'll see two sets of holes in it. I had ordered a RF crank in the early 90s, and they shipped that model...with a blue spider. However, I wanted an all blue crank, so I had that one sent back. I wish now I hadn't...good old hindsight...

Ciao
    Scott
    that'd be a very rare production run, as that's a feature they ripped off from Kooka, and it'd be 56mm not 58mm (since at the time, the only 5-bolt compact inner pattern was suntour's microdrive, which was 56mm).

Jan 2004

Telephone Dial

I have a set of RF road cranks of similar vintage, 175x130 probably the same arms with a different spider. They are silver also, stiff and look cool, but were recently replaced with something with a lower Q. Now they sit in a box while I decide their fate (MC Indie Rock on order).