Old Gary Fisher- Mtbr.com

Thread: Old Gary Fisher

mtbr member
    Mar 2020

Old Gary Fisher

Hello, new to this forum and not sure if this post is in the right section. I have a early 90s Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo that I would like to update the brakes and maybe a new drivetrain. Something w a lot less gears. Want to use it to ride mostly around the neighborhood. Not sure if this is possible or Just to costly for a bike that old. If anyone has any suggestions, thanks in advance. Can answer any questions too

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Palos Pete View Post
    Hello, new to this forum and not sure if this post is in the right section. I have a early 90s Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo that I would like to update the brakes and maybe a new drivetrain. Something w a lot less gears. Want to use it to ride mostly around the neighborhood. Not sure if this is possible or Just to costly for a bike that old. If anyone has any suggestions, thanks in advance. Can answer any questions too
    The old coots say, Gary Fisher cannot be old, only Fisher. (The name was changed in 1992, to avoid trademark of Fischer skis.) I kid. But seriously, that HK is nice, about the quality of a Stumpjumper or MB2 or nice Trek of the day. 8sp hub will fit most 8-11sp cassettes. Stems may be hard to find if It's 1-1/4. V-brakes and levers are an easy upgrade. Put a couple hundred in it so it fits how you are now and it shifts and brakes better than in the day. Yes your local mechanic can adjust the canti brakes, but not as well as old coots do.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by whatisaidwas View Post
    Yes your local mechanic can adjust the canti brakes, but not as well as old coots do.
    The proper way to adjust canti's is to have a roll-your-own cigarette hanging out the side of your mouth and cuss about the youth of today. I find that really helps get the leverage right.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Iíd like to get rid of the front derailleur and just go w one ring up front. Any recommendations on the cassette ? Leave it, it has grip shift which Iím guessing hasnít been around for some time

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Palos Pete View Post
    Iíd like to get rid of the front derailleur and just go w one ring up front. Any recommendations on the cassette ? Leave it, it has grip shift which Iím guessing hasnít been around for some time
    Details like that are best left to you, your local tech, and what parts are on hand.

Ride what you like!
    Find an old bike shop. Hopefully there's an old guy in the back, hunched over the bench, rebuilding a front derailleur... He'll be able to set the cantis. If you aren't concerned about period correct, v brakes are more powerful and easier to set. You'll have to change levers too, so price becomes a consideration.
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Hi, also new to forum and not sure where to post. Iím slowly turning a 95 or 96 Gary fisher marlin into a tourer. Currently thinking about fork selection. My research suggests the originals werenít suspension and had a offset of 38mm but canít find a-c length. Long shot but wondering if someone has one and could let me know the a-c length? John