mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Old Bike Headset Replacement

I have an original 89 Trek 950 that Im hoping to strip and re-component as a touring bike. The project of the day is to replace the headset and Id appreciate any advice that I can get about how and what I need to do it. I think its a 1 threaded headset? Can anyone verify that? Any suggestions on products, tools, what not to do, etc?

Thanks..

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    1. The proper way.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eadset-service

2. The dodgy way.

As above, except knock the cups out with a punch, drift or a screwdriver with a wide blade. Sit the blade along the cup flange, not across it at 90 degrees, tap it out with a hammer a little at a time before moving around the "circle" a little bit, repeat until the cup comes flying out and rolls under the fridge.

Or make your own cup-knocker-outerer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkY879pMafE

Installation can be done with a mallet and a block of wood. Not pretty. Or you can make a press yourself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asg69xxKwWA

Once you get the old one out, might be nice to get a shop to install the new one.

Crown race installation can be done with a length of appropriately size pipe and a hammer but the right tool is by far the better way to do it.

This is not a post-apocalyptic Mad Max world just yet - I'd opt for the right tools.

Good luck.

Also, if you're new to bike mechanics, have a scout around the Park Tool website - it has some great tutorials.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thanks Uncle..

I seem to need all the 'how to' video I can get right now. I am new to bike mechanics and I'm learning there's a lot of jargon and specific sizes/shapes that I need to match regarding the headset.

Do you have any advice on how I can tell exactly what I'm replacing?

Cheers,
    bk

High Plains Luddite
    Apr 2015
    In addition to the Park Tool videos, check out "RJ The Bike Guy" on YouTube. Uncle Grumpy linked to one of them in his post above.

I've found his videos quite helpful, and he makes some of his own tools, also.

Here are some of his headset videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ke+guy+headset

I'd love to hear how your project goes. I have two '90s Specialized Hardrock bikes with "scratchy" headsets that are on my to-do list, but I haven't bitten the bullet yet and given it a try. I'm guilty of all the usual procrastination reasons - never done it before, don't have the right tools yet, always something else more important to do around the house, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you want to try and salvage the old headset all it takes is a little elbow grease, rubbing alcohol or de greaser & some real grease. I've successfully salvaged quite a few that way. Just clean the bearings and races and grease the heck out of em.

Otherwise, it's knock out the old one & install the new one along with replacing the crown race on the fork. If you have the tools it's easy. If you don't it might make more sense going to a shop.
    1983 Ritchey Everest
    1996 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    1996 Ibis Mojo Ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Not much can wrong with a headset provided it was never misadjusted or left to take in water.

Eshew is right in that they mostly need a good clean, fresh grease and proper adjustment. Rarely you might find one that has been overtightened and the races are pitted or scored or the bearings are out of round, or one that is full of rust.

If you need to replace it then take the old one to the bike shop and get them to order something in for you. Even if it's 1" threaded, there are different sizes of 1" - some MTBs used a BMX oversized 1" with thicker cups but I'm not sure if that Trek fits that bill (though I'd wager it was the standard size). I never a$$ume on someone else behalf, so be safe and check with your shop. Someone here might be able to chime in with some solid info.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.