Ok, which one of you was craving my thunderbolt...- Mtbr.com
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

Ok, which one of you was craving my thunderbolt...

and kept asking when I was gonna sell it? I just wanna know who gets first dibs.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    I'm pretty sure RockiMtn will be extremely interested, assuming it's not some huge frame size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki
    I'm pretty sure RockiMtn will be extremely interested, assuming it's not some huge frame size.
    And I might be if it is a huge frame size.

Irony username there, Bagpipes called dibs on my 1984 RM Fat City Flyer. I suppose I'll mention the 1987 RM Turbo is also going up. I'm trying to finance opening a full bicycle store and well, a good chunk of my collection is gonna go to do it, including 3/4 of my vintage rockies... none of which actually fit me properly (well the turbo is close but I do so little road riding that one CX bike is all I need to keep for road riding too). The Thunderbolt is a 19" with about a 22" effective horizontal TT, the Turbo is a 57cm with I believe its 57cm toptube. The SHORTEST I generally run for mtbs is a 23" toptube, and then its with usually a 150mm stem. I've ridden the FCF once since I got it, the turbo once, and the Thunderbolt I haven't ridden in almost 2 years and in the past 15 years since I got it, its maybe be used 25 times total. So since I won't have a lot of spare time to ride, there's not much point keeping bikes I won't be riding at all, even if I am a classic RMB junkie... better they go to RMB fans who might use them more than twice a year.

mtbr member
    Ooh, I'd be interested in the T-Bolt *and* the Turbo too
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Irony username there, Bagpipes called dibs on my 1984 RM Fat City Flyer. I suppose I'll mention the 1987 RM Turbo is also going up. I'm trying to finance opening a full bicycle store
    And how will you ever decorate said store properly without all your old classics hanging from the ceiling?
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Oh with 14 foot ceilings in the space i want, there's no doubt i could do such decorating, but it comes down to money, and I need it to open the store. If I wasn't at the wire (time wise) on deciding whether to go ahead or wait X years more, I wouldn't be considering parting with them. Literally this afternoon the agent for the space I want emailed to say he's got two other serious interests in it who want to view the space in the next week, and one of them had looked at it 4 months ago and he thinks they're ready to sign the lease on it.

Stokeless Asshat

Make it happen D8

And post some ads.....

Good luck.
    Last edited by jeff; 02-20-2010 at 09:28 PM.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Oh with 14 foot ceilings in the space i want, there's no doubt i could do such decorating, but it comes down to money, and I need it to open the store. If I wasn't at the wire (time wise) on deciding whether to go ahead or wait X years more, I wouldn't be considering parting with them. Literally this afternoon the agent for the space I want emailed to say he's got two other serious interests in it who want to view the space in the next week, and one of them had looked at it 4 months ago and he thinks they're ready to sign the lease on it.

Remember though...the old adage of "location, location, location" doesn't always hold true with a bike shop. People are will to find a specialty business with products and services of the kind you will be offering.

Jeff...ad is only spelled with one d
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Oh i'll be purging more than just a few rockies... there's a big one inch I'm never gonna use I'm sure... a couple true norths, a horde of manitou spares, some complete Manitous 1 thru 4, and i'm not sure what else right now.

As to location... i'm along a major bike commuter route, next to a mcdonalds, in front of a large neighbourhood, and 5 mins bike ride from amazing singletrack.

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Remember though...the old adage of "location, location, location" doesn't always hold true with a bike shop. People are will to find a specialty business with products and services of the kind you will be offering.

Jeff...ad is only spelled with one d
    Freudian slip?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member

Where

If you have to do this, give all a chance at the booty. I'm not at all interested in that POS Thunderbolt. Dang it, I am.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

Certified Bike Junkie
    I'm not in a position to support your effort financially, but good luck on the shop.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

VRC Hound
    I emailed about the T-Bolt when I first joined here. I've wanted it ever since.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Big one inch as in fork??

Go for it. Opening my shop was the best thing I ever did for my sanity Or is that the other way around?

Location is irrelevant. You can't even see me from the road, and I'm going into my 7th season.

Advertising is also mostly pointless, I picked that tidbit up online somewhere when I was fishing around about doing it. Word of mouth is your friend.....

So about that fork, what length steerer?
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Yes BOI as in the fork. 1" x 5.2" as memory serves. It was the fork which came on the thunderbolt when I bought it. And now after 2 days I finally got the answer to who kept chasing me for it. There are pics of the thunderbolt up in the similar asking who dibs it thread I posted in the rocky forum. I'm not sure if I'll sell it complete, or frame alone or frame + parts. Depends on who wants/offers what I guess. I could sell it with the BOI, the Chris Chance painted Manitou 3 that's currently on it (the paint matches that seafoam blue/green they used on the wickeds), or a manitou 1 or a manitou 2. I have NOS elastomer packs so I can make something work manitou wise.

I do know I don't plan to sell the wheelset currently on the thunderbolt, or the red kooka post, or the topline crankset and kooka chainrings on it. The rest of it is fair game and I have some period-correct alternatives available for the post at least.

Oh and if/when bushpig and bagpipes message me for the spam ad contents, kindly identify yourselfs... i've gotten a lot of responses already and i'll likely lose track of who's who quickly.

Members who have read this thread: 0