Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Results 1,601 to 1,646 of 1646
    mtbr member
    The p20 came out in 1995 and was made for 2 or 3 years. It should ride very similarly to other p series frames

mtbr member
    I love it when things work out easily.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20170825_131319.jpg
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

artistic...
    Nice color!
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    I love it when things work out easily.
    Nice! Late model Super Comp?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Nice! Late model Super Comp?
    '89 Timber Comp - 21.5 inch

The Kawasaki Green made me do it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Saw that one on the bay... I ended up getting this

https://flic.kr/p/Xv4dHL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubrat View Post
    Saw that one on the bay... I ended up getting this

https://flic.kr/p/Xv4dHL
    Very nice! A classic!!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

rismtb
    Dec 2012

83 competition

Just like the royal jewels that need to polished yearly so does this one. Actually took it for a bit of a ride and hey I'm think'n get her dirty I didn't wait a year for the paint to cure and apply all those layers of wax for nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3495.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3506.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3505.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3502.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3500.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3499.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3498.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3496.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_3494.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    Actually took it for a bit of a ride and hey I'm think'n get her dirty
    How did it ride?

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Well as far as it being fully ridged it is dream on relevant trails. As far as taking it on trails I normally ride no that would be dangerous. I would be very keen on doing a long trip on backroads with a pack and a rear rack with provisions for 3 or 4 days, its that comfortable.

sftrydr

Ser#S004-LiteBeam

Near NOS RWB fade,P/U from original owner who lives in Fairfax.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0005.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0007.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0008.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0006.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0009.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0010.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_0011.jpg  

VRC Illuminati
    That's right up your alley Sully! Looks pretty good (except for the V-brakes).
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

sftrydr
    Rides dreamy too,
    The V-Brakes are stock,my threshold for unacceptable crap in regards to bicycle brakes are "anything moto is a no go" on my steeds...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hello gents. Am finally getting around to paint my early 90's Ritchey P21 Team at the original factory painter, even though I am still looking for wheels and a few other small parts for it. Originally, it was a show bike with a unique paintjob and I am inclined to repaint it that way, but I am also looking for your suggestions as for how I should get it painted now - the period correct red-white-blue is a bit overdone, no? I want to keep it with me for the time being but resale value should also factor in the decision. Any suggestions? Thanks!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldermtber View Post
    Hello gents. Am finally getting around to paint my early 90's Ritchey P21 Team at the original factory painter, even though I am still looking for wheels and a few other small parts for it. Originally, it was a show bike with a unique paintjob and I am inclined to repaint it that way, but I am also looking for your suggestions as for how I should get it painted now - the period correct red-white-blue is a bit overdone, no? I want to keep it with me for the time being but resale value should also factor in the decision. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have seen yellow Ritcheys and i love it. It wasnīt a P21 but an early team comp.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    I have seen yellow Ritcheys and i love it. It wasnīt a P21 but an early team comp.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/...d-img_1720.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I worked for a Ritchey dealer in the early '90's and remember that buyers could choose custom paint colors from the DuPont Imron chart. Two or three color paint was popular then, like Fisher team fade, Ibis blue & purple, Serotta red/yellow, Ritchey early RW&B, Specialized did some. We sold Ritcheys in lots of colors: red, midnight blue, silver, sky blue & white, green & white, black. It hardly matters what colors you choose; someone has likely chosen them already.

sftrydr

mtbr member
    Nice article.
    I can't believe that there is an "Electric Bike Action" magazine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Just finished rebuilding this one

82 McKinley or Everest.
    Don't know how to tell them apart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_9742.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_9741.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

83 Everest

Got a new rider too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_9766.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    82 McKinley or Everest.
    Don't know how to tell them apart
    Likely a McKinley. The difference between the two is a that the Everest came with a lighter head tube (your bike does not have it), and the option to add additional braze-ons like a second water bottle mount (which your bike does have), and the McKinley came in limited number of colors and sizes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Likely a McKinley. The difference between the two is a that the Everest came with a lighter head tube (your bike does not have it), and the option to add additional braze-ons like a second water bottle mount (which your bike does have), and the McKinley came in limited number of colors and sizes.

Ok- so how can you tell if the headtube is lightened just by looking at the bike?
    Is there a special lug on the outside? It looks identical to my 83 Everest.
    The prior owner swears it's an Everest.
    Is the wall thickness different?
    The bike has tons of braze-ons and 2 spots for bottle cages too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    Ok- so how can you tell if the headtube is lightened just by looking at the bike?
    Is there a special lug on the outside?
    The "Mountain Bikes 1" frameset (Everest) had a relieved head tube as pictured below. If your bike has this, it does not look like it does, then it it is an Everest for sure.

The "Mountain Bikes 2" frameset did not have this. The head tube is a uniform diameter form headset cup to headset cup.

If your bike is missing this, but has the extra braze ons, who knows what it was sold as. It's either an Everest with the wrong head tube, or a a McKinley with extra braze ons.

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-20171107_131627.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The "Mountain Bikes 1" frameset (Everest) had a relieved head tube as pictured below. If your bike has this, it does not look like it does, then it it is an Everest for sure.

The "Mountain Bikes 2" frameset did not have this. The head tube is a uniform diameter form headset cup to headset cup.

If your bike is missing this, but has the extra braze ons, who knows what it was sold as. It's either an Everest with the wrong head tube, or a a McKinley with extra braze ons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171107_131627.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	1166291

Thanks Laffeaux.
    After closer inspection and comparison to the 83 Everest, the 82 is indeed a McKinley. My 83 has that lug/collar.Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_9745.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_9792.jpg

mtbr member

This simply canNOT be a 1977 Ritchey.

I don't want to break rules, but there is an auction site listing for a bike that screams 1984+, but the guy is insisting that it is a 1977 -- and that he's the original owner. I really want to call Bullsh*t on this listing, but thought I'd cool my heels and ask here. It's all over Facebook, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-very-fi...AAAOSwZqZaAqXs

And I right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeicaLad View Post
    I don't want to break rules, but there is an auction site listing for a bike that screams 1984+, but the guy is insisting that it is a 1977 -- and that he's the original owner. I really want to call Bullsh*t on this listing, but thought I'd cool my heels and ask here. It's all over Facebook, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-very-fi...AAAOSwZqZaAqXs

And I right?
    Yeah, a 1985 frame with lots of misinformation.

Hopefully it's just the result of a bad memory.

mtbr member
    And, if that serial # is just 4 digits, doesn't that say it is a Canadian-market bike AND that it may NOT be actually brazed up by Tom???

He's using the serial #9877 to say it was built Sept 8, 1977.

The oldmountainbike site is down. By any chance, can that number be checked?

mtbr member
    He's using the serial #9877 to say it was built Sept 8, 1977.
    The serial number is visible in the BB picture. It is 9B77. It's a 19" TimberWolf (or Commando version with that paint) from about 1985.

It's a nice bike, but certainly not 1977, and certainly not the first unicrown fork ever made. The unicrown fork and taper stays date from '84, prior to that neither existed on a Ritchey (who claims that his first mountain bike was made in 1979).

mtbr member
    Wow. You have better eyes than I. I could see the photo but not read the #.

Do we send a cease & desist note?

OTOH, who's gonna even be tempted by that price?

Thanks for the details, too.

artistic...
    Wow. You have better eyes than I. I could see the photo but not read the #.

Do we send a cease & desist note?

OTOH, who's gonna even be tempted by that price?

Thanks for the details, too.

Anyone who throws 2.8K on anything w/ historic value based on a sellerīs description only, made of hyperboles like "first ever made" without any second guessing... somehow wants to be fooled.

sftrydr
    Not sure if you'all can see this,as it's camouflaged, but here goes.
    Ser#1B222, Original Tyres,et al, 1st Owner upgraded to Biopace Chainrings(his designation for Biopace) to alleviate his knee problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6638.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6639.jpg  

artistic...
    i want a hite rite.

rismtb
    Dec 2012

Timberwolf makover

Just completed a complete restoration from a rescued timberwolf. Thanks Shamus on Van island for that. After junking every part except main frame I waited to collect fork/bars and hand stripped/sanded tubes. I really didn't want to spend a lot on custom paint so I just waxed and rode it. The wax finish wasn't enough to prevent surface rust so I was considering rattle can until I ran into the welders at Landyaghts bike. The heating and applying a thin coat of clear powder coat and another last bake the frame came out a coffee colour. Pretty nice finish for 1/2 the cost of wet paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_5852.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_5851.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_5835.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_5831.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_5181.jpg  

rismtb
    Dec 2012

found picture of the orig bike

Rescued Ritchey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-ritchey-rag-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Just completed a complete restoration from a rescued timberwolf. Thanks Shamus on Van island for that. After junking every part except main frame I waited to collect fork/bars and hand stripped/sanded tubes. I really didn't want to spend a lot on custom paint so I just waxed and rode it. The wax finish wasn't enough to prevent surface rust so I was considering rattle can until I ran into the welders at Landyaghts bike. The heating and applying a thin coat of clear powder coat and another last bake the frame came out a coffee colour. Pretty nice finish for 1/2 the cost of wet paint.
    That is a beauty, I really like that coffee color and also still showing off the elegant fillets. Very nice build, but is it now that coffee or that silver in the last pic? Oh also, is the powder coat applied over the fillets and it was a light coating hence you can still see them, or did they not apply over them? Either way, that's really nice.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Sorry, the pictures area little backwards The silver picture is the raw frame after I stripped and sanded and built it up. Finding the fork and fillet uncut bars took a while and some scratch (400 for the fork and aprox 500 for the bars) The process goes like this, the frame is polished with a compound that I am not sure what that is. The frame is then baked and it turns a blue purple colour. The frame is then charged for reg powder coating process and a light clear powder coat is applied and baked again to acquire the coffee colour. The final colour depends on the age/type and thickness of the steel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_2298.jpg  

rismtb
    Dec 2012

Barn find

We could hardly get the doors open from all the leaves and low hanging moss from years of going to seed. As I struggled to bend the top of the door so she could look in she screamed "it"s a Ritchey!" this one looks old with a Henri Ganthier leather stamped chair and no decals. She could be right but these things you find in dusty barns could be anything like pre 18th century Ser # 2P3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6289.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6290.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6293.jpg  

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    I am wondering about the relationship of these two bikes. This one in the above picture I just acquired {2p3 is a 21"}and the other is Gerry aka "grearchart"'s bike from Hendricksons in Santa Barbara 1d3 is a 19". When talking to the previous owner {Gerry's friend} he mentioned that there were 3 bikes that Tom built for the shop with the same ser # perhaps this recent one that turned up is one of the 3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6297.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6295.jpg  

mtbr member

Smile

pretty sure the d is just a flipped P in the end and aren't the first numbers of the serial the indicator of the year that frame was made?
    1 = 1981
    2 = 1982
    so both bikes would be the 3rd P frame made in these particular years.
    Unsure what the P stands for though...

the time where the first number of the serial indicates the frame size started in 1984 (see your Timber Wolf above, 1 = 21")
    1983 numbers started with the entire frame size e.g. 21

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    1d3 is a 19" frame so that can't be it. 2p3 is a 21" both have non slotted cable stops and have the non tapered chainstays and above bb front derailieur cable routing so made around the same time

mtbr member
    Some of the '82 and earlier frames have odd-ball serial numbers that may or may not have any special meaning. First Flight owned several bikes with serial numbers that didn't fit any pattern.

As far as the bike goes it's probably a '82 Sierra. The "ring" at the top of the seat post puts it at '81-'82, and the socketed fork crown points to one of the lower speced bikes which first appeared in the '82 catalog.

If you can decipher the serial number pattern for those bikes, let us all know what it is.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Thanks Laffeaux I feel a little guilty about referencing the database when I haven't contributed any of my collection. That I will change in the near future. As far as this recent one that turned up on Vancouver Island I am pretty excited to be able to take it apart and clean it and leave it in its orig condition. Its odd that it has orig paint but no decals. My main interest in collecting Ritchey's is our Canadian mountain bike roots to Tom. I have documentation what went on between Tom and Grayson Bain after the 1983 split with MountainBikes. The period 80-83 was a little before mtbing here in vancouver. I have a few questions if any body know? Did MountainBikes have exclusive selling rights for Tom's bikes outside of Palo Alto? who painted all those first gunmetal grey models? these are some of the parts I am cleaning
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6327.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6329.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6317.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6316.jpg  

Official (Tom) Ritchey Picture Thread-img_6326.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have a few questions if any body know? Did MountainBikes have exclusive selling rights for Tom's bikes outside of Palo Alto?
    I was hoping that Charlie would chime in, as he would know the answers for sure, however...

As I understand it, MountainBikes (Charlie and Gary) sold complete bikes. They sourced bikes from multiple vendors, at least initially, and found that Tom was the only builder capable of reliably supplying frames. So most MountainBikes bicycles were built by Tom.

Tom was a frame builder. I don't think that at the time he was overly interested in selling complete bikes, just frames. By providing frames to MountainBikes he could sell lots of frames and not to worry about turning a frame into a complete bicycle. Gary and Charlie took care of building bikes, leaving Tom to build frames. (Apparently he wasn't a fan of building forks either, as they took a lot of work.)

I don't think that there was any exclusivity between the companies. Tom could build and sell frames to whomever he wanted. MountainBikes could source frames from whomever they wanted. However, working together they could sell a lot more product. Tom was a reliable supplier of frames, and MountainBikes was able to then sell the frames through their "distribution network."

When the two companies parted ways in late '83 Mountain bikes was left looking for a new frame supplier, and mostly filled the void with imported Japanese frames. Tom was left with no distribution network, and Palo Alto Bicycles (with their mail order business) stepped in as a distributor. The following year Ritchey produced his first catalog of complete bikes and moved from being a frame builder to being a bicycle builder and distribution company.

I'm not sure if the initial conversations with Rocky Mountain Bikes was a result of the split with Gary that necessitated Tom finding a new distribution channel, or if it happened earlier. Gary began importing Fisher frames, and Tom began importing Ritchey frames soon after. I suspect that together they had worked toward setting up a supplier in Japan, but they implemented the imports as separate entities - Rocky Mountain may have contributed significantly towards this as well.

Maybe Charlie will fill in the blanks...

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for your input Eric, ya in 1983 lots of people wanted the new all terrain bicycle. Our records shows that Rocky Mountain was incorporated in 85 and previous to that Grayson Bain owned 4 separate stores in Vancouver that couldn't keep enough Ritchey's stocked. Prior to that I believe in 81-82 the first 2 or 3 Ritcheys were ordered by Larry Ruble{who later tooled and managed the start of the Rocky factory} for his bike shop in Maple Ridge. Those first couple of Ritchey's sat on the floor for months Larry said because of where his shop was and most of his customers were roadies. Larry says he has VHS tapes of Tom teaching the welders at the Toyo factory how to braze. I have heard from other sources that there was a meeting of the minds at the Toyo factory in 83 with Tom/Grayson/Pippin{Rocky designer/syncros} on how to mass produce tig mtb frames. I remember reading somewhere else in this forum that Tom rejected the first container full.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.