Official GT Thread - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 1116
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    that balljoint should be a standard item, but since its american made and from the nineties, it's might not be metric..a quick wrench on the locknut will tell that one. If you cant source one there, let me know and I can try to get something here and ship if you want..I wouldnt mind haveing a spare around myself...I have a couple RTS frames that can be built up and one that I definately want to ride.

mtbr member
    here is my cheap kijiji find that I freshened up.
    would like to upgrade the forks but will wait until I find some good used ones for cheap.

now if only I can find some nice decals to stick back on.!

Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Anyone out there have any Xizangs, Zaskars or Pyclones (or whatever they were called)?? I loved those frames... never had any...

OK so i love the signature tomac, and my yeti and fats... but realy this is my all time fav frame...:

(hope its not too big)

I see they have a Ti reproduction of the Xizang frame on-line for about 2K. Now if I can just find some Sun-Tour Ders.

Sneaker man
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hey, I have bought a GT outpost yesterday, and i want to identify that wich year it was built, and if its fake or not? If I post a picture from the bike, and write down the serial, can we identify it?

Thanks

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Welcome aboard.

Yes, we should be able to identify it from a picture, or at least within a year or 2. Serials might assist those who can decode those crazy things.

I doubt it's a fake. You know when you run out of Chivas Regal Royal Salute, and to keep up appearances you top up the bottle with Johnny Walker Red Label? Well, faking an Outpost is not like that.

There is also a GT forum here in the Manufacturers section. Here in the vintage forum, anything this side of 1996 is likely to be met with howls of derision.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi, i'm thinking about to buy an 97 18" xizang frame. I would like the 91/92 frames with the none suspension frame a lot more ,but didn't found one.
    So, is the value the same of an 91/92 or 97 frame? Maybe i sell the 97 frame if i find an 91/92 frame. How rare are the 91/92 frames and where are places who they turns up?

Sneaker man
    they are all about the same value, seem to be anywhere from US$800-1000 usually. AN early frame will be built for U brake, later frames canti/v-brake. 96/97 seem to be the most common around, 91/92 don't seem to come up too often.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    Welcome aboard.

Yes, we should be able to identify it from a picture, or at least within a year or 2. Serials might assist those who can decode those crazy things.

I doubt it's a fake. You know when you run out of Chivas Regal Royal Salute, and to keep up appearances you top up the bottle with Johnny Walker Red Label? Well, faking an Outpost is not like that.

There is also a GT forum here in the Manufacturers section. Here in the vintage forum, anything this side of 1996 is likely to be met with howls of derision.

Grumps
    Here are some pictures /sorry for the bad quality/:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1o40btvix...2017.09.27.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9z5iibsnr...2017.08.08.jpg

It is in a pretty good condition, I can't believe that it is an old model, but I read that it must be some of the 90's model.

Sneaker man
    looks like 97 or 98.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks, I paid 30.000 Huf for it, it is about $130, but I think it worth it. I will use it in city.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Please ,what are the differences at the xizang frames from 91-97?
    Maybe it's possible to trim the 97 frame to 91 modell, with gt 3d or 4x2 fork?

Sneaker man
    Not entirely sure what the exact difference would be, but overall pretty similar, the early ones would be either built for zero or very low amounts of suspenstion, later ones are designed around 50-60mm. Early ones have U-brake mounting points, after around 94 they come with cantilever mounting points. Other than that, not much changed I don't think (waits for expert to turn up with detailed geometry data). Also early ones were made in canada or something, later ones in house in the US.
    you should be able to run a ridgid GT fork on a later model without huge problems I would think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    beautiful bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    Finally got out for a few minutes in fading light:

beautiful bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I found old gt documents with seat and head tube angles from 91-96 and it seems all measurements are the same.

Team Brooklyn
    Hey that bike looks familiar!
    And I was on it this morning in 9F temperature.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

Sergeant Spandex

Progress on the Psyclone

In what has become a very slow process I have finally made some progress in building the '94 Psyclone. It will be mostly XTR M-900 with as many GT branded parts as I could lay my hands on. Still some things to sort out, like the wheel set. The one in the pic is FPO (For Position Only) and will be disassembled so I can use the hubs. Will likely get repop Farmer Johns from First Flight and have just ordered NOS GT grips....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official GT Thread-psyclone%2520build%25204%2520web.jpg  

Official GT Thread-psyclone%2520build%25203%2520web.jpg  

Official GT Thread-psyclone%2520build%25201%2520web.jpg  

Last edited by lewisfoto; 03-05-2014 at 11:04 PM.

artistic...
    You could go on a blue anodized bender..
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I sold my early Zaskar as it was a little large for me. For you Zaskar Experts, what was the first year a Zaskar came with a 100 MM fork and disk mounts? I know it will miss the 'Vintage Mark" but I thought this would be a good place to ask.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by csuha01 View Post
    Here are some pictures /sorry for the bad quality/:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1o40btvix...2017.09.27.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9z5iibsnr...2017.08.08.jpg

It is in a pretty good condition, I can't believe that it is an old model, but I read that it must be some of the 90's model.
    I'm going to say probably 95' or earlier. In 96' the forks no longer tapered down as they neared the axle, and it is a still a steel frame (98' was the last steel Outposts), so it's not newer than that. They had a color called 'bright marble blue' in 1995, although I'm not positive that is it. It has v-brakes, but I'm guessing they were an upgrade added later. I could be wrong, but that is my $0.02 and MHO.

Sergeant Spandex
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    You could go on a blue anodized bender..
    I have already spent enough on XTR....

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I'm going to say probably 95' or earlier. In 96' the forks no longer tapered down as they neared the axle, and it is a still a steel frame (98' was the last steel Outposts), so it's not newer than that. They had a color called 'bright marble blue' in 1995, although I'm not positive that is it. It has v-brakes, but I'm guessing they were an upgrade added later. I could be wrong, but that is my $0.02 and MHO.
    It's a 98. Boss Blue (page 8 of the catalogue) Decals point to 98 (maybe 97 as its not closeup enough), but the triple triangle decal give it up as 98.

mtbr member
    May 2014

GT Tempest All Terra

Hello, everyone. I recently acquired this GT Tempest All Terra from a local Goodwill for 16 dollars. The shifters were seized up so I took them apart, cleaned, relubed and viola. I attempted to clean-up the brakes and the plastic basically crumbled in my hands :/ So, I ordered a CT91 replacement for the front and rear. Are there any better replacements that are a direct fit? Aside from the shifters there wasn't anything wrong with the bike. I think the bike is pretty much stock, but hopefully you guys can let me know, along with what year it could be. I think it's a 97 or 98 by what little research I've done before coming here. Were the Kenda's on it a stock tire? I wouldn't be surprised because this bike was either taken care of or barely used. It rides like new and I can't see any real wear on any of the parts. After a few road rides the past few weeks to see if she'd hold up I took it out on some trails in New Fane Wisconsin. The bike did great and suits me well I think. Sorry for the bloggy post, but I'll reward you all with some pics.

Official GT Thread-bettergtpic.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official GT Thread-dscf5822gt21.jpg  

Official GT Thread-dscf5823gt21.jpg  

Last edited by LokisTyro; 05-07-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added better pic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LokisTyro View Post
    Hello, everyone. I recently acquired this GT Tempest All Terra from a local Goodwill for 16 dollars. The shifters were seized up so I took them apart, cleaned, relubed and viola. I attempted to clean-up the brakes and the plastic basically crumbled in my hands :/ So, I ordered a CT91 replacement for the front and rear. Are there any better replacements that are a direct fit? Aside from the shifters there wasn't anything wrong with the bike. I think the bike is pretty much stock, but hopefully you guys can let me know, along with what year it could be. I think it's a 97 or 98 by what little research I've done before coming here. Were the Kenda's on it a stock tire? I wouldn't be surprised because this bike was either taken care of or barely used. It rides like new and I can't see any real wear on any of the parts. After a few road rides the past few weeks to see if she'd hold up I took it out on some trails in New Fane Wisconsin. The bike did great and suits me well I think. Sorry for the bloggy post, but I'll reward you all with some pics.
    Likely a bit older, based on the decals. 95ish. Check bikepedia.com to compare the gruppo and you'll be able to narrow it down.

Sergeant Spandex
    They dropped the All Terra on the down tube circa 1996.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LokisTyro View Post

Official GT Thread-dscf5822gt21.jpg
    Any cantilever* brakes will fit the studs. If you are looking for better brakes, the Tektro 720's are a favorite of mine, on a budget the Nashbar offering are great brakes and are regularly on sale for about 20 dollars for a full (front and rear) set.

* So will V-brakes, but those require different brake levers.

Looks like a 1995 to me. Probably could tell for sure from the serial number on the bottom bracket.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks everyone for the insight and advice. I checked out bikepedia and the Candy Teal as they call it was only offered in '95. I'll get the serial # though.

Tires aren't stock, which I should have figured because of it's age..

Is there anywhere, or anyone that has GT colors mixed? There are a few chips that I'd like to touch up.

Huckin' trails

Official GT Thread

For the touch up, find a local airbrush artist (usually tattoo shops will be able to point you in the right direction), and check with the artist if he could match your color and airbrush the touch-ups. That's what I do on my GT's, except I'm the one with the airbrush already.

My own Tempest is purple and while there's many paint chips, gouges and scars, I won't bother painting it because the aluminum doesn't offer as good of a grip for paint as steel does. Plus it's a commuter that gets rough around yearly, so always new paint chips. If I remember right, Ford had a factory ninja turtle green paint for the Mustang, maybe you could find a little touch-up bottle at the auto-part ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I own an airbrush as well, David I'm just practicing mostly. Did a few stencils, making dots. It's great fun. I'll mix a color up I suppose or find a paint for models that's close. I just want to fill in the chips so it's less likely for more to flake off in that area. Possible? Idk. The paint is so thin on this thing. Parts underneath aren't even completely covered with paint, but misted with it.

Sergeant Spandex
    Any professional paint shop can color match the paint on your bike, although as I found out the minimum purchase may be a pint. Another good option is the nail polish display at your local beauty store.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    if its just misted paint, your airbrush can do the job. But if its clear coated, dont bother.
    If it's not clear coated, you need to sand the area to give it some bite and fan out the scratch a bit then spray light coats untill it looks good. If its a candy, it will be real difficult to color match, lotsa light layers and your dealing with older (faded) paint so color matching is on the fly unless your good at premixing/colormatching anyhow.
    Also, a candy should be cleared unless its powder, touch ups can be tough depending on what you really want as the final outcome.
    good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Good call on the nailpolish. A lot of people use that for scale models since there's a zillion colors and they're cheap. As long as the color is close I wont mind. It will look better than the grey spots. However it turns out to be will be good enough. Does anyone else agree that the color can't be teal? There weren't any greens listed on bikepedia for the Tempest aside from that. I found a German version of the catalog and it says Olive, but that's not it either.

Edit: '94 Cat has a Pearl Teal that looks close..

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    I use model paints, you know, a bit of blending and you can close enough for it to work. Have a look at this guys stuff for kicks.

After Touchup

A word of advice on touch ups, the faster you ride, the better the bike will look to anyone viewing it. Keep the alloy parts shiny and the speed up and nobody will notice paint chips or scratches. Added benefit is you'll have your head up, watching where you're going so you won't be fixated on the chips and scratches.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Oooooh thats pretty.......I dont think that ive ever touched up a bike, I sure have did the scratching thing...but I like a well ridden, worn out, scratched up old bike....that runs mechanically perfect!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for the link, Grumpy. I'll try to go faster soon as it drys up around here.

syklystt, I bet you talking about Jason's. That metallic burnt orange or whatever it is, is stunning. The freshening looks fantastic and clean without any graphics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

1995 GT Avalanche LE

Official GT Thread-img_1535.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1535.jpg 
Views:	673 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	896734
    Upgraded with Mavic 217 SUP wheels with red GT hubs, Avid Black Ops brakes and Bontrager Crowbar handlebars. I will probably upgrade the LX cranks to XTR when I find a good deal on ebay. This bike is light and responsive. I plan to ride it in some XC races soon.

mtbr member
    Recent freak commuting accident put the neck in a halo and put alll interest back in building bikes, so got a few on and off the stand the past couple weeks. 93 NOS GT Corrado, 96 TeamTrials with some gear help from Mr. Rey and have a NOS 92 Ricochet on the stand now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official GT Thread-gedc3325.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3416.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3414.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3429.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3430.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3442.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3455.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3456.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3458.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3459.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3460.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3461.jpg  

Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126 View Post
    Recent freak commuting accident put the neck in a halo and put alll interest back in building bikes so got a few on and off the stand the past couple weeks.
    Sorry to hear about your accident, ouch.
    Hope you have a speedy recovery using bike building as therapy.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

mtbr member
    Hope you're healing well, glad the accident didn't dampen your enthusiasm for bikes, and cheering for you to get back on that horse again soon! And I must say that it's quite commendable, in your condition, that you're actually taking the opportunity to finish some projects, rather than spend time staring at ebay and accidentally taking on more of them!
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

Stokeless Asshat
    What's the story on that U-brake booster?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Hope you're recovering quickly! Nice Richter!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hey all! Haven't had much time to post since joining, but I thought I'd share my latest score. I've been looking for a Psyclone for years, and finally one popped up on my local CL that I was able to snag before anyone else got to it. It's a 1996 with full M950 XTR (Sram Xray shifters), Mavic 217 rims in gold, King headset, Syncros stem and seatpost, Flite saddle, Control Tech bars and Onza bar ends. As far as I can tell, it was purchased and built up in 96, ridden on the road for a couple hundred miles and then stashed away in a garage ever since. It's near as makes no difference a NOS bike. All I've done so far is swap to M959 pedal, reposition the controls, stare at it long and hard, debating if I should even ride it, and then ride it!

This is post maiden voyage with my uncle and his Psyclone, which I built new for him back in 98.

It's definitely not a case of Never Meet Your Heroes. This thing is a freaking hoot to ride! My only complaint is that the Primal Raptor tires apparently want to throw me off the trail and kill me on the descents. What are all the VRC guys running to keep their bikes old school cool, but still on the trail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Verrrry nice! Ride that mutha!

Sneaker man
    Lovely psyclone(s)!!

I run reissue smokes, they're great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    What's the story on that U-brake booster?
    Built in "shark tooth" really meant to be run under the chain stays.

Stokeless Asshat
    And just what are hiding behind that cardboard?
    Built in "shark tooth" really meant to be run under the chain stays.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hi all, new member here!

I've got a 1999 Outpost Trail (blue/white) and am replacing the (original) BB (was a BB-CS15) due to failure. Got the BB out OK (a lot of brute force!) but .... I tided up the garage at the weekend and threw it out before measuring the crank width (Doh!) - would anyone know what width it should be; 110, 113, 117 mm etc?

Many thanks in advance.

Jon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickShift View Post
    Hi all, new member here!

I've got a 1999 Outpost Trail (blue/white) and am replacing the (original) BB (was a BB-CS15) due to failure. Got the BB out OK (a lot of brute force!) but .... I tided up the garage at the weekend and threw it out before measuring the crank width (Doh!) - would anyone know what width it should be; 110, 113, 117 mm etc?

Many thanks in advance.

Jon.
    What crank is on the bike? Model and name? Check that crank manufacturers website for the recommended length. BB length is determined mostly by the crank then by BB shell width being 68 or 73mm.

Anchorage, AK

Official GT Thread

Alright all you GT nuts! I got ahold of my 1990 Karakoram frame that was my first mtb when I was 16. I need your opinion as to how I should build this back up. It's got a lot of sentimental value to me so I plan on taking my time. I used to race this bike back in the day! I still have the original brakes, seat post, seat and Dia Comp brake levers. Should I source as much old stuff for the bike or should I use a bunch of Paul/Thomson components? Paint is gonna be radical btw and it's definitely going to be a singlespeed. Thanks in advance for your input. Cheers!

Sent from my wireless communication apparatus
    two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum View Post
    Hope you're recovering quickly! Nice Richter!
    Great xrays this past Wednesday. Halo comes off on the 9th. Then back on twheels!

mtbr member
    92 GT Richter 8.0. GT's first model that was sold with front suspension only. Some build pics a little further down the thread. Just finished this one up. Fun build. Always fun stringing those groove tube cables.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official GT Thread-gedc3588.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3591.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3596.jpg  

Official GT Thread-gedc3608.jpg  

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Recent freak commuting accident put the neck in a halo and put alll interest back in building bikes, so got a few on and off the stand the past couple weeks. 93 NOS GT Corrado, 96 TeamTrials with some gear help from Mr. Rey and have a NOS 92 Ricochet on the stand now.

Hey Kev, just saw the post about your accident...hope you have a speedy recovery.

Trials mod is sweet..and you got help from Hans on it...even better.

Steve

mtbr member
    Great xrays this past Wednesday. Halo comes off on the 9th. Then back on twheels!
    Oh man! I had no idea it was that bad. Get better soon!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anortherncrazy View Post
    Alright all you GT nuts! I got ahold of my 1990 Karakoram frame that was my first mtb when I was 16. I need your opinion as to how I should build this back up. It's got a lot of sentimental value to me so I plan on taking my time. I used to race this bike back in the day! I still have the original brakes, seat post, seat and Dia Comp brake levers. Should I source as much old stuff for the bike or should I use a bunch of Paul/Thomson components? Paint is gonna be radical btw and it's definitely going to be a singlespeed. Thanks in advance for your input. Cheers!
    If you are repainting it anyway and converting it to singlespeed, I don't see much point in tracking down the same spec stuff as it originally had just to make it the same as it once was. Go with what you most want, whether that is originals because you want the nostalgia, or modern/higher end components because that is what you desire.

My opinion anyway!

J3s
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

1994 Zaskar LE

Here's is my trusted '94 Zaskar, and it's almost her birthday.

Official GT Thread-2014-06-27-14.57.33.jpg

Official GT Thread-2014-06-27-14.57.49.jpg

In two months it's her 20th birthday. What should I buy her?

M900 crankset - now MT 60
    Rock Shox Mag 21 SL - now RST mozo-pro
    or a new seatpost.

What would make her the most happy you think?

Anchorage, AK

Official GT Thread

Thanks Medic Zero. Guess I'll just make it the way I want it. I wish I still had the wheelset! I'm fortunate enough to know some talented painters so at least the GT logo will be correct. I cleaned it down and shaved all the cable routing and rack mounts and this is where I'm at: GT frame, fork, gel cell seat, seat post, quick release, stem and bars, Onza bar ends, Shimano brakes.

Sent from my wireless communication apparatus
    two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    my '98 outpostOfficial GT Thread-img_0428%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member

Official GT Thread

My daughters 1992 Little Timber. All fixed up and ready to ride.

Before
    Official GT Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407176465.761576.jpg

After
    Official GT Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407176506.161856.jpg

Official GT Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407176567.299284.jpg

Official GT Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407176584.182290.jpg

Anchorage, AK

Official GT Thread

Hello fellow GT nuts! Need some help deciphering these numbers on the bottom of my GT Karakoram. Thanks in advance!
    two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anortherncrazy View Post
    Hello fellow GT nuts! Need some help deciphering these numbers on the bottom of my GT Karakoram. Thanks in advance!
    First blush I want to say that is a November of '89, but I'm drunk and away from my notes. Can you give us a pick of the ship herself? I'd half expect a low mounted U-brake if my gut response is correct. I'll ping back later tomorrow (today now) after looking at my notes and correct myself if I'm off. Date codes depend on factory and era..

Anchorage, AK

Official GT Thread

Hahahahah, right on Medic Zero! I'm well on my way right now as well. My parents bought this for my when I was 16 back in 89/90 I think? I'm doing a resto-mod on it and I'd like to know it's origin just for the hell of it.

It started as a white Karakoram but I rattle canned it blue 3 years later.
    two wheel livin'..

Exr
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi everyone, I need help, someone here knows what is the correct seatpost size of an 2003 Gt Avalanche 3.0?

Thanks in andvance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Karakoram 93/94?

Can anybody tell me the year of this please? Or was it sold over a coupleof years I'm seeing both?

The oldest GT I've owned by a mile and it rides like it was built yesterday.. Ace!

Official GT Thread-20140905_150048.jpgOfficial GT Thread-20140905_150107.jpgOfficial GT Thread-20140905_150116.jpg

Sergeant Spandex
    Decals are consistent with my '94 Psyclone, so that is a start. Wander over to RetroBike they have all of the GT catalogs in their archive.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisfoto View Post
    Decals are consistent with my '94 Psyclone, so that is a start. Wander over to RetroBike they have all of the GT catalogs in their archive.
    Can you hook me up with a link to that site. My Googler is broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Can you hook me up with a link to that site. My Googler is broken.
    Bikepedia has the full specs too. Any older would be too old, but they've got most of everything from 93/94 forward.

1993 GT Karakoram - BikePedia

1994 GT Karakoram - BikePedia

mtbr member
    1994 for sure.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    Bikepedia has the full specs too. Any older would be too old, but they've got most of everything from 93/94 forward.

1993 GT Karakoram - BikePedia

1994 GT Karakoram - BikePedia
    No I meant a link to a Retro Bike. Thanks though!
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Sergeant Spandex

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    No I meant a link to a Retro Bike. Thanks though!
    Yeah, I know, but although I'm familar with retrobike, I didn't know offhand where their catalogs are. And, every time I've looked at their catallog library it seemed as if they only had the euro-spec ones for some years, which can be surprisingly different for some manufacturers.

That, and I don't recall them being as detailed in some regards (component specs).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey, this looks like my Timberline that I have been trying to date. Rockshox and all, do you know what year it is? Thanks.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by NorcoNewb View Post
    Hey, this looks like my Timberline that I have been trying to date. Rockshox and all, do you know what year it is? Thanks.
    93-94

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    aguante btt, savia que conocia esa avalanche... jeje abrazo

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    may have posted her in here before, but here is an update on the build:
    96 ink blue zaskar.
    i finally found time to lace up the wheels, and get her mostly together. yes, those are rainbow ti. because i can
    still need a seat, front derailleur, big chainring, and pedals.

have to install the cassette, chain, and onza grips.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hi guys,
    I'm new to this forum. Could anyone on here please tell me the years GT used the "All Terra" branding. I'm guessing from the start (1987?) until not later than 1999. I'd love an accurate answer.

Sergeant Spandex
    We would all love an accurate answer but this is the Internet so all you get are opinions.

So here it goes: I don't think it was that long. Certainly the "All Terra" decals were dropped by 96 (earlier?) and they had not appeared yet in 89.

So 1990 to 1995? I believe that is accurate.

Sergeant Spandex
    That era is my favorite for GT by the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisfoto View Post
    We would all love an accurate answer but this is the Internet so all you get are opinions.

So here it goes: I don't think it was that long. Certainly the "All Terra" decals were dropped by 96 (earlier?) and they had not appeared yet in 89.

So 1990 to 1995? I believe that is accurate.
    I've got what I always thought was a 1989 Karakoram with the "All Terra" branding. Might have to revise that to 1990 then. It's the all white frame with "KARAKORAM" on the down tube in red with yellow and blue flashes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bichael View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm new to this forum. Could anyone on here please tell me the years GT used the "All Terra" branding. I'm guessing from the start (1987?) until not later than 1999. I'd love an accurate answer.
    Funny you should ask and then state it as it's perhaps fact. Funny thing is they brought it back and use the three mountain / all terra in recent years on stems and seat posts so it's never really gone away.

It's on Head tube decal on my 84 Timberline says GT All Terra. I see it on everything I have from 84 upto 1995. Then it's not on my 96's and 97's...but it reappears on the seat tube decal of a 98 Psyclone so as I said above "it's never really gone away". Just not as obvious as some of the early years.

Sergeant Spandex
    Well so there you go...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

1989 Karakoram

So there I have it Info much appreciated guys. Thank you. This is the Karakoram decal I mentioned. Always thought it was 1989 but might not be now. Any ideas?
    Official GT Thread-007.jpg
    Last edited by Bichael; 01-25-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: typo correction

Sergeant Spandex
    Try looking at the catalog archive at Retrobike:

GT Archive | Manufacturer Archive | Retrobike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bichael View Post
    So there I have it Info much appreciated guys. Thank you. This is the Karakoram decal I mentioned. Always thought it was 1989 but might not be now. Any ideas?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	958546
    The "Classic Gloss White color" per the catalog is a 1990 model year color. They had ads showing it in that color in 1990 but the catalog picture shows the other color Purple Haze.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thank v much for that. So it's 1990 for sure. Another Q for the expert(s) please. I've just got a mid-1990s burnished aluminium Avalanche? (no decal but looks like one) frame. What seatpost diameter? 27.2 slips in easy (not a sloppy fit) but doesn't tighten up well. Did GT use 27.4 around this time do you know? I have other, later Avalanches and 27.2 fits nice and snug.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hey Everyone,

I wanted to add to this thread. Here is an odd bike I picked up and currently am in the process of building. Everything about it points to an avalanche, decals, components. Everything except the frame. It's 6061 with a serial that points to a zaskar. I have since stripped the decals, which had to be original.Official GT Thread-img_1020.jpgOfficial GT Thread-img_1028.jpgOfficial GT Thread-img_1029.jpgOfficial GT Thread-img_1051.jpgOfficial GT Thread-img_1053.jpgOfficial GT Thread-img_1064.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    91 Team Av.

I'll have to dig up pictures of the '92 that passed through here a while back along with a few other models

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hi guys, Has anyone got information about when the GT Racing team was sponsored by Chevy Trucks?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hello, new to mtbr.

I have a 93 or 94 GT Outpost All Terra. Only bike I've ever owned and still riding it. But am thinking of up grading it with new modern stuff. It has a Shimano Altus drive train that believe it or not has served me all these years with nothing more than washing and oiling. But now I think my cable's have finally seized up. Looking to spend a few hundred dollars and upgrade to deore or equal. Has anybody done this already, or have any tips. Thanks. Probably let my LBS do all the work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi folks, I've got both a '97 GT outpost - with road tyres (bought that way) and a heavily modified '09 Aggressor. Both are fun in their own way.
    To the poster above me, the trickiest part will be finding a set of forks that work. It has a 1" headset. If you're keeping it rigid and the altus drivetrain is still ok, why not just replace the cables?

<edit> pics of the Aggressor.

Official GT Thread-dsc_8694.jpgOfficial GT Thread-dsc_8691.jpg
    Last edited by Shane_Hanify; 04-25-2015 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Have considered that. Not looking to upgrade to front suspension. I have looked at some mid level bikes and most come with tourney Drive trains and cheap shocks. And still run $600 usd. I figure with a few hundred I could get maybe alivio or deore fdr & rdr's and some nice v brakes and ride her a while and have a decent set up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdriscoll777 View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I wanted to add to this thread. Here is an odd bike I picked up and currently am in the process of building. Everything about it points to an avalanche, decals, components. Everything except the frame. It's 6061 with a serial that points to a zaskar. I have since stripped the decals, which had to be original.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1020.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	963835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1028.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	963829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1029.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	963830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	963831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1053.jpg 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	963832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1064.jpg 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	963833
    Avalanche/LE it is....both the 1997 model year Avalanche and Avalanche LE were made in the USA and had 6061 tubing...per the catalog.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Rebuilt my Tequesta as a single speed. I have made some changes since this pic but for all intents and purposes this is representative of the final build.

Official GT Thread-wp_20140406_003.jpg
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpeterson01 View Post
    Hello, new to mtbr.

I have a 93 or 94 GT Outpost All Terra. Only bike I've ever owned and still riding it. But am thinking of up grading it with new modern stuff. It has a Shimano Altus drive train that believe it or not has served me all these years with nothing more than washing and oiling. But now I think my cable's have finally seized up. Looking to spend a few hundred dollars and upgrade to deore or equal. Has anybody done this already, or have any tips. Thanks. Probably let my LBS do all the work.

Have considered that. Not looking to upgrade to front suspension. I have looked at some mid level bikes and most come with tourney Drive trains and cheap shocks. And still run $600 usd. I figure with a few hundred I could get maybe alivio or deore fdr & rdr's and some nice v brakes and ride her a while and have a decent set up.
    I have a '93 Outpost, been using it as my around town bike and occasionally it gets the nod for longer rides when it's the only thing I have running.

I like cantilever brakes, but the units that came stock on the '93 Outpost were garbage. If I were you I'd look at the Nashbar cantilevers or Tektro 720's. Both work great and with v-style cartridge pad carriers are nearly as easy to set up as V-brakes and give plenty of braking power with much better modulation than V-brakes. The Nashbars are dirt cheap, often running only $20 for a full set (front and rear). This also would allow you to keep your current levers (changing to V brakes requires different levers), but IIRC those are integrated units with the shifters attached to them and both the levers and shifters are poor quality.

Your front derailleur should be fine. It's got a good range, and mine is still going strong after over 9,000 all weather miles with constant shifting (hilly terrain here).

The rear derailleur on the other hand you should notice an improvement if you upgrade to a higher level, but the rear triangle is spec'd for a 7 speed, and decent cassettes for those aren't common, you might have to do a bit of searching to find one. If the rear derailleur is still working, I'd focus on replacing the shifters, cables, and housings instead. How is your shifter holding up? If you are looking to keep this on a budget, you might consider going friction with one of these: One Street Components

You should be aware that the rear triangle on the 93 and 94 Outposts is spec'd for 6 and 7 speed cassettes (130mm hubs) and to go to 8 or 9 speed would require not only cold setting the rear triangle (simple), but a new rear wheel as well (the most expensive part of the bike). Now we're starting to talk about putting a lot of money into a very low end bike with a heavy frame, particularly since you are planning on having a bike shop do the work. If you could do the work yourself and picked up a donor bike off Craigslist with the components you need it'd be MUCH cheaper though.

I picked my Outpost up because it was $10 and I was in middle of overhauling my only other bike at the time. I don't know what your Craigslist market is like, but here I regularly see nicer GT bikes for about $100, that you might enjoy riding more. The '93 Outpost has a hi-tensile rear triangle and is a rather heavy frame all around. This coupled with the old and probably worn out very low-end components makes it a rather poor choice for upgrading, unless you have some serious emotional attachment to it.

That said, it can do the job!

(mine)

The only thing still stock on that Outpost is the front derailleur and the headset, and the headset needs to be replaced. The frame is still going strong, but if I had it all to do over again and had another hundred dollars in my pocket when I started, I would have went with a nicer frame. Some of the components will get transferred over to another bike when I finally retire it though.

I'd recommend starting another thread in this forum for you bike where we can get into the nitty gritty more and not derail this thread too much. I (& others I'm sure) would be happy to share my knowledge and give you what advice we can with either upgrading it one way or another, or help you find another GT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thank you for the awesome advice "medic zero". That was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. My Front derailer is fine, everything is fine actually. but recently had some sheet rock work done in my garage, and the bike was hanging in the fall line of dust, and I think the cables just got gunked up. all I really need to do is replace the cables, but I thought if it was possible to upgrade some small items, I'd get peoples opinions.

not sure how to start a new thread and take the post here with it.
    but could easily start a new thread and start over.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Rebuilt my Tequesta as a single speed. I have made some changes since this pic but for all intents and purposes this is representative of the final build.

Name:	WP_20140406_003.jpg 
Views:	664 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	982928
    Nice clean looking GT, well done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    Nice clean looking GT, well done.
    Thanks! I took inspiration from the Hans Rey edition Karakoram.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    How hard is it to replace shifter cables

Sergeant Spandex
    How hard is it to replace shifter cables
    Most likely you will need someone to show you how it is done. There are many online videos or you could look for a local cooperative that has an open workshop with trained mechanics to help out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If it's a 7 speed, you should be able to pick up shifter / brake combos and F + R derailleurs and brakes for a song 2nd hand. That's how I started the slippery slope with my GT, wound up costing more than a new bike - and almost more than a similarly specced one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Talked to my LBS and he was not to encouraging. Just new brake calipers, rear dlr, new cables and labor over $300. Think i might buy some new cable's and try it myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Talked to my LBS and he was not to encouraging. Just new brake calipers, rear dlr, new cables and labor over $300. Think i might buy some new cable's and try it myself.
    Replacing the cables is very easy. Being your first time it will take some trial and error to get the tension right but as was mentioned go to YouTube, watch some videos, etc. It is easy plus once you know how to do it, it will save you money in the future.

And remember at some point everyone here who does their own work, has to learn how to do it at first.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Thank you for the awesome advice "medic zero". That was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. My Front derailer is fine, everything is fine actually. but recently had some sheet rock work done in my garage, and the bike was hanging in the fall line of dust, and I think the cables just got gunked up. all I really need to do is replace the cables, but I thought if it was possible to upgrade some small items, I'd get peoples opinions.

not sure how to start a new thread and take the post here with it.
    but could easily start a new thread and start over.

Thanks!

When you aren't in this thread and are out in a sub-forum menu (listing all the threads), you should see a button that says "Post New Thread" at the top. It's possible that isn't showing up for you yet, I don't know what the forum settings are, put you probably need 10 (or more) posts before you are allowed to post a new thread, as protection against spam and bots. If you want I could start it for you, let me know.

I'd recommend starting the thread in the GT sub-forum: GT - Mtbr.com

I don't know where you live, but if there are any bike co-ops/"bike kitchens" nearby these are great places to not only get access to some tools, space to work on a bike, and instruction on repair and maintenance, but they also usually have great deals on used parts and can be a excellent source for components for these kinds of builds.

If it's been shifting fine, if I were you, for now I'd be tempted to just go with new cables and housings, and new brake calipers. The caliper sets usually come with cables, so initial outlay would be just for those (as little as $20 for a full front and rear set from Nashbar) and for the shift cables. You could install the brakes, and both sets of cables yourself, and only pay a shop to index the gearing which should be well less than $50, maybe a touch more if you need them to dial in the brakes you've mounted as well. But if you've got wire cutters and metric allen wrenches you can do the install work and save a bundle of dough.

Youtube can be hit or miss, but Park Tools website as some great Haynes style breakdowns on pretty much any repair or maintenance. Here's the one on cantilever brakes: Park Tool Co. Ľ ParkTool Blog Ľ Cantilever Brake Service

If you sign up for Nashbars e-mail alerts, probably every other week you'll see these on sale even lower than the $25 they are at the moment:
    Nashbar Cantilever Front and Rear Brakeset

I actually like those calipers best of all the cantilevers I have (including my XTR's). Paired with a decent lever they are great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks again "Medic Zero". I am a new poster here, and cannot make a new thread.

Please put this in the best location. I would appreciate it.

Also, I live in Greenville, SC, and have fairly large biking community, but I need to investigate the bike co-op. That sounds perfect for me.

thanks again.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Thanks again "Medic Zero". I am a new poster here, and cannot make a new thread.

Please put this in the best location. I would appreciate it.

Also, I live in Greenville, SC, and have fairly large biking community, but I need to investigate the bike co-op. That sounds perfect for me.

thanks again.
    New posters are indeed able to start new threads, FYI. Eyeball around on the main page here and look for the Post New Thread button.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have a 1996 GT Outpost, and I will have to say that if you do go to v-brakes, I would strongly advise that you run those horseshoe shaped 'brake boosters' on both the front and rear. When I swapped out the original cantilevers to v-brakes, they would hardly stop the bike until I added the boosters. Once those were on, I went OTB twice on that particular maiden voyage.

V-brakes will require new levers (unless you want to run those awful adapters). My 96 Outpost had integrated brake/shifters, so I had to get both to go with v-brakes. At that time I went (overkill) with XT and once the money was spent, everything worked great.

If I were going to do that retrofit today, I would go with the ST-EF65 shifter/brake levers in the 4 finger lever version that have the little red puck that will allow you to set it up for either v-brakes or cantilevers. They are a very economical way to retrofit an older bike with fresh controls as they run about $50 for the set, and even come with fresh cables and housings. They make several different iterations of this shifter, and they make them for 3x7 & 3x8 (and I think even 3x9), so you have to make to specify the correct ones. I put a set on my 1991 Backwoods, and like them a lot for what that bike is (it is pretty much relegated to 'path' duty these days).

If you have visions of ever doing a fork upgrade, I would also reiterate that those Outposts did have 1" steerers, and thus would be difficult and/or expensive to fit with a suspension fork. And, in my personal experience, anything over about 63mm travel will start to noticeably affect geometry, but YMMV.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

GT Psyclone

Picked this up on Craigslist - $60. I'm more of a Roadie than a Mtn Bike guy, but this GT Psyclone caught my eye. Did some quick research - looks like this might have been made up the road from me in Longmont CO. Definitely abused - rust, chips, (no dents though). Pulled the rack off - disassembly in process. Finally got the seat post moving, but not out yet. Should be fun bringing this back to rideable condition. Can anybody tell me what year it is? Mix of XT and LX parts.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy2964 View Post
    Picked this up on Craigslist - $60. I'm more of a Roadie than a Mtn Bike guy, but this GT Psyclone caught my eye. Did some quick research - looks like this might have been made up the road from me in Longmont CO. Definitely abused - rust, chips, (no dents though). Pulled the rack off - disassembly in process. Finally got the seat post moving, but not out yet. Should be fun bringing this back to rideable condition. Can anybody tell me what year it is? Mix of XT and LX parts.

Nice find!

Graphics look like a '94 model to me. My '94 Corrado has a very similar interior to the graphics, '93 was different, don't know about 1995. On the bottom of the BB should be a serial # that a few of us could decipher. Should be able to tell you down to the month when it was made, and probably the factory as well. Is the the back of the top tube where it protrudes pas the seat tube smooth or sporting a GT logo embossed in it? This will tell us whether it was made stateside or overseas.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    Nice find!

Graphics look like a '94 model to me. My '94 Corrado has a very similar interior to the graphics, '93 was different, don't know about 1995. On the bottom of the BB should be a serial # that a few of us could decipher. Should be able to tell you down to the month when it was made, and probably the factory as well. Is the the back of the top tube where it protrudes pas the seat tube smooth or sporting a GT logo embossed in it? This will tell us whether it was made stateside or overseas.
    Psyclones were made all made in the US

... and Damn! $60 for a psyclone! Duper deal for a super bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No serial number on the BB shell. It does have GT logo on the back of the top tube. Got the seat post out - it was really stuck. Now trying to get the cartridge BB out - that is stuck also. After that - Iím now think I will get the frame bead blasted and powder coated. The chips and light rust - want to make that go away. Sort of thinking I might go raw steel with a clear powder coat??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy2964 View Post
    No serial number on the BB shell. It does have GT logo on the back of the top tube. Got the seat post out - it was really stuck. Now trying to get the cartridge BB out - that is stuck also. After that - Iím now think I will get the frame bead blasted and powder coated. The chips and light rust - want to make that go away. Sort of thinking I might go raw steel with a clear powder coat??
    Odd, I'd expect a serial # somewhere on the BB, but then again, I'm only familiar with the imported GT's, maybe the US built ones have it somewhere else? Rear drop-out?

Do you know what size the seatpost is?

I'd be interested to hear any suggestions as to clear coating bare metal too, I picked up a bare metal fork for my '98 GT Nomad. I've got a spare 48H hub so I figure I can give medium pressure 700c tires/wheels a try. All that baby is, is a 4130 GT frame, in a pre-sloping top tube, my size. Got to figure out a clear too though...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah - strange that there is no serial#, at least not one I have found. The seat post that was in it - a Ritchey 26.6.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm not positive, but I think some Psyclones had a serial number sticker on the bottom of the BB shell, while others were stamped into the metal. The stickers, especially on a frame that's as well used as that one, usually fall off. If it were there, it would say 94PXXX, signifying that it's a 1994 Psyclone and the last three would be the production number for that year. For example, 94 P 153 would be the 153rd Psyclone produced in 1994. I'm not sure if this holds true for every model year, just every Psyclone I've seen in person.

As for rebuilding the bike, especially considering your initial buy-in cost, I say do it up as nice as you can justify. I own a 1996 Psyclone, and built up a 1998 for my uncle. It's easily the best riding mountain bike I own, including my Mojo, Ti-Lite, Attitude and maybe even my Yo Eddy.

A clear coat might be kind of cool, but if it were me, I'd pick a color and get some reproduction decals or something. I've never done a raw clear myself, but I hear they don't hold up well. Something about no UV production for the steel, but again, I'm not sure.

Here's mine;

Sneaker man
    Yeah the serial number will usually be on the bottom bracket, but GT's have a habbit of not having serial numbers on the US made Tech Shop stuff (Xizangs, Zaskars and psyclones)... well it's not unheard of anyway. But what you could do is look up some of the psyclone cpaint jobs for inspiration... but then again once you strip off the paint, with no serial number (assuming someone didn't already) then it could be jsut anything, which would be a shame as the psyclone is the top of the top of Gt's steel frames, but I'll leave it to gm1230126 to give out the details of the frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nice score for fillet blazed frame. Is that a regular Deore chainset or biopace? Been a while I checked this forum out :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    just found my GT warrantee and manuals in a box. has some diagrams on adjustments. GT stickers etc. kinda cool to find that.

mtbr member
    Here's my 1992 Zaskar 20".

Back in the day, I bought the frame and completed it with many parts that were typical for the time: Bullseye hubs, Campagnolo rims, Flite Titanium saddle etc. -- and I still have all the bills!

I don't use it for offroad purposes any more, but it's still a nice racer for the occasional asphalt sprint.

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Very nice. It deserves a good blat every now and then

mtbr member
    Alas! The perfect thread to post my most recent bike build.

Hopefully you guys dig this as much as I do. It's a clash of old and new combined to make 8.6kg's of a beautiful thing.

1995 GT Tempest aluminum frame, high polished. No clear-coat!
    Stock fork chromed (proper 3-step chromed).
    XTR 980 series 10 speed groupset.
    Self made wheelset using ZTR 355's, sapim cx-rays, and white industries hubs. These are not meant for downhill, gents! My aim is for cross country riding with a max rider weight of somewhere like 90kg.
    The brakes are FSA SL-K Light canti's with TRP in-line carbon brake levers. The brakes are a little weak but I have found that they apply power with a good grip. Perhaps I am just spoiled by all my disc brakes.
    Lucky thing that Thompson makes a 26.8 seatpost in the absolute perfect color for this build.

All in all, I am super happy with the build. The only problems I ran into was with the Thunder Burt's. They leaked like heck and it took some effort to get them to keep from springing new leaks. It was actually on the test ride when they finally sealed up completely.

The bike is now for sale and will remain an ornament in my living room until so! My wife really must love me. That makes 3 bikes in our living room...

Official GT Thread-img_20150906_143158.jpg
    Official GT Thread-img_20150906_143250.jpg
    Official GT Thread-img_20150906_143027.jpg
    Official GT Thread-img_20150906_143040.jpg
    Official GT Thread-img_20150906_143126.jpg
    Official GT Thread-img_20150906_143147.jpg
    Official GT Thread-img_20150906_143353.jpg
    Official GT Thread-img_20150906_143314.jpg
    Official GT Thread-img_20150906_143437.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    little late to the party, but pretty happy with my recent purchases.

Official GT Thread-20151228_091850_resized.jpgOfficial GT Thread-20151109_191744.jpg

Sneaker man
    Blimey!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    My first post on MTBR! Here's my 1995 GT Avalanche that I've had since college. I used a disc brake adapter for a Gary Fisher frame to mount the rear disc brake without too much work:

Official GT Thread-95avalanche.jpgOfficial GT Thread-discbrake.jpg

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Welcome aboard.

Looks great, I'm a fan of silver/chrome and black schema - it just works nicely.

You also seem to suffer from N+1 bike syndrome too If you can just get rid of a few more boxes then you would have room for more .... err..... you know what I'm thinking......

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crudley View Post
    Welcome aboard.

Looks great, I'm a fan of silver/chrome and black schema - it just works nicely.

You also seem to suffer from N+1 bike syndrome too If you can just get rid of a few more boxes then you would have room for more .... err..... you know what I'm thinking......
    Well luckily I have two kids now and I can blame them for at least some of the bikes. We all started racing BMX too, so suddenly it's N+3 bikes, lol! Gotta start getting rid of those boxes...

Rubber Side Usually Down
    The brake adapter looks great and looks very factory. One of the cleaner efforts i've seen. Well done.

You can blame the extra bikes on the kids

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Greetings all...Im from Denmark, and im MAD about old GTs :-)..this is my first post, and these are my bikes..GT Karakoram..think 94 and GT Passage same time I think, but not sure.
    Last bike is a GT Backwoods Im restoring..almost rdy for paint.. found in the scrapyard. Plan is to go touring on it this summer :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official GT Thread-5c854eac-5afe-4042-a319-016e2399c27d.jpg  

Official GT Thread-d876dad6-8359-498e-9604-343317bf6dd1.jpg  

Official GT Thread-20160415_135446.jpg  

Official GT Thread-20160416_081922.jpg  

mtbr member

1994 Karakoram

I do love the triple triangle!
    Had to sell GT Lightning for funds, but still got this.

Official GT Thread-20160410_152349.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kd498 View Post
    I do love the triple triangle!
    Had to sell GT Lightning for funds, but still got this.

Name:	20160410_152349.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	274.2 KB 
ID:	1065263
    Nice one! I'd love to get my hands on a Psyclone once. But this Karakoram is the next best thing.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    I'd love to get my hands on a Psyclone once. But this Karakoram is the next best thing.
    Is that true?

Karakorams are next best after psyclones on the depth chart?

Quit being an elitist. He means THIS particular Karakoram

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    Quit being an elitist. He means THIS particular Karakoram
    You're right! The king of the elitists had a Karakoram. Not as cool as ^ that though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

GTs!!!

I had two GTs

1) In high school a friend and I both saved up money from working all year and each bought a Zasker LE frame and fork. Built it up with whatever components we could afford and I rode mine for 8 years. Sold it to someone who promptly left it outside and it got stolen.

2) Once I started working after college I found a Xizang frame on MTBR and bought that. Here's what it looks like currently. I still ride this bike every week.

Official GT Thread-26476334272_a00715301a_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8er View Post
    I had two GTs

1) In high school a friend and I both saved up money from working all year and each bought a Zasker LE frame and fork. Built it up with whatever components we could afford and I rode mine for 8 years. Sold it to someone who promptly left it outside and it got stolen.

2) Once I started working after college I found a Xizang frame on MTBR and bought that. Here's what it looks like currently. I still ride this bike every week.

Name:	26476334272_a00715301a_o.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	491.0 KB 
ID:	1065436
    I think I would give my left nut for one of those frames.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuartfleming View Post
    I think I would give my left nut for one of those frames.
    I'll sell you one for $8000...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Is that true?

Karakorams are next best after psyclones on the depth chart?
    It's steel, it's a GT. What else do you want? But maybe a Bravado LE would be even better than a Karakoram (allthough I like the name better on the Karakoram).

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'll sell you one for $8000...
    I dont think anyone will give me $8000 for my left nut.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuartfleming View Post
    I dont think anyone will give me $8000 for my left nut.
    but if you watch ebay, you should be able to pick up a xizang for somewhere between $750-1000 usually 1 or 2 a month(if there hasn't been one for a few months, the next few will be ~$1200). (I as just trying to make a meager profit...)

mtbr member
    Here's a 91' Tequesta I just restored. The hanger was jacked and elongated. Dropout saver Wheels Manufacturing saved the day. Removed all the dia-compe and Suntour (except the cranks, they look great polished) for Shimano Diore. Had some better rims with Shimano LX hubs to install. NOS Sakai Bars.

Restored 1991 GT Tequesta Purple Haze. by Joe T, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My Ricochet which I bought new in 1997. My brother had it for a few years and it was pretty trashed. I just got it back and pieced it together with various parts I had laying around. Currently a 1x9. The fork is too long, but I plan to reduce it to 100mm. May give it a new paint job as well.

Official GT Thread-img_5458.jpgOfficial GT Thread-img_5457.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hello All,I just scored this Early Bird GT and it brought me here, I have been on The BMX Museum for years, but I am Starting to get into Mountain Biking as well
    Thank You and Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official GT Thread-dsc05504.jpg  

Official GT Thread-dsc05505.jpg  

Official GT Thread-dsc05506.jpg  

Official GT Thread-dsc05507.jpg  

Official GT Thread-dsc05508.jpg  

Official GT Thread-dsc05509.jpg  

Official GT Thread-dsc05510.jpg  

Official GT Thread-dsc05511.jpg  

Official GT Thread-dsc05512.jpg  

Official GT Thread-dsc05513.jpg  

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Posting my Psyclone for posterity (don't think I have posted it already and I'm too lazy to go through 38 pages looking for it, lol)

Official GT Thread-psyclonedoneside.jpg

Official GT Thread-psyclonedonefront.jpg

Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
    Posting my Psyclone for posterity
    That looks nice.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Aib
    mtbr member
    May 2016

New stem

Official GT Thread-image.jpgOfficial GT Thread-image.jpg
    I picked this up to get back into riding. I've had it out several times and am still getting everything adjusted to my liking and comfort. I would really like to replace the stem. I feel like I'm leaning too far forward and have too much weight on my wrists. I want to shorten the stem up to bring the handlebars about 2" closer and maybe use an angled stem to raise them just a hair. Would someone be able to recommend an adapter for the quill stem or am I better off finding a shorter quill stem. I'm also not 100% sure on the size, 1 1/8?. One last thing, how are the adjustable stems? I was thinking of one of those to get the fit I am looking for and then getting a better one in the future once I know what I'm comfortable with.

VChuck
    Nov 2009
    Wow.fellow GT lover's I'm glad to be back and alive ,comatose from bicycle accident. had 3 GT's stolen (2011 GT Karakoram 3.0 29'r customed out was my favorite)and rebuilding my armada. will post when I get a camera.(stolen too)
    Don't know if anybody is interested but Blue Sky Cycling has what looks to be 2011 GT Karakoram 3.0 and the 2.0 back on sale https://www.blueskycycling.com/produ...-29er-Bike.htm
    Just ordered one to replace the one I had stolen! Woot! God answered my prayer's
    Last edited by VChuck; 06-04-2016 at 09:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

I'm trying to ID this GT KARAKORAM

I'm trying to ID this GT KARAKORAM for year and model or facts. So coming to the experts. Any ideas

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official GT Thread-gt-karakoram.jpg  

Official GT Thread-20160614_194840.jpg  

Official GT Thread-20160614_194821.jpg  

Sneaker man
    looks like a 98 from the decals vs the catalogue, however the cat has grey/red decals on black frame, so it could be 99 (since don't have a copy of 99 do't know)

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The last number of the serial number ends with "5" could it be a 1995?

thank you mik_gt

Sneaker man
    on the assumption that the decals are original, no, has to be 98/99

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Advice requested

I have this older GT Karakoram that I don't ride anymore. I need some advice!

The bike is probably around a 1990-1995, black with a purple splatter paint accent. I can't find any model # or markings on it, but it's all original except for rims/tires.

I want to know if I should sell it AS IS or fix it up and sell? How much are these things worth?Official GT Thread-gtkarakoram-1-.jpg

Sneaker man
    you want this thread, or you'll get whack with the trouble stick...

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...iw-856050.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    you want this thread, or you'll get whack with the trouble stick...

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...iw-856050.html
    Awesome thanks for the help Mr. Super nice guy

Sneaker man
    Yeah well they take a dim view on asking valuations out site linked thread, so just letting you know before things go south, people start taking the piss out of you or your post just gets plain deleted...

But, I'd think it was 94 (maybe 93),it's not worth nothing, but depending on what needs "fixing up" probably cost more than you'd get for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi guys,

Hey, someone is selling a pre-disc era GT. The problem is it is painted over. I do not expect it to be valuable or rare, but is there anything that can be said based on the 6061 stamp inside dropouts, a rounded end cap and the gusset on the downtube.

I have an Arrowhead which is 7005, so could the frame be an Avalanche? Should there be a serial number somewhere on the frame?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    To add to previous post: the frame also has the integrated seat clamp.

Sergeant Spandex
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    To add to previous post: the frame also has the integrated seat clamp.

Gt made so many aluminum frames it would be really hard to nail it down once the original finish is gone, that said no one will be able to help at all without photos.

Sneaker man
    yeah, pics tell a lot of the story.
    Integrated seat clamp says 98 or after (or a 97 zaskar le), pre disc says before 2000, lots of 2000 models had disc tabs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Understood, makes sense. I try to get some pics online.

Sneaker man
    also if you can find it (assume not paint form factory?) the serial number, either on the rear dropout or under bottom bracket

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    Well no offense Will but you wouldn't know a good looking bike if it bit you in the ass! GTs are so sexy!

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by LeZaskargirl View Post
    Well no offense Will but you wouldn't know a good looking bike if it bit you in the ass! GTs are so sexy!
    Thats a bit random!?!? :0

Sergeant Spandex
    har!

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    No its not random, Will insulted 3 gorgeous GTs said they were the ugliest bikes he had ever seen! Can't seem to find it now though lol

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    No its not random, Will insulted 3 gorgeous GTs said they were the ugliest bikes he had ever seen! Can't seem to find it now though lol
    Goddamn Will eh?

Let's go kick his bins!

Grumps

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    Ahhh I like the way you think Grumps! Who in their right mind could call a shiny old school GT ugly, must be some sort of a deranged maniac!

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    Let's see your bike Will, I bet it is a flat red color with purple rims, yellow tires and a neon pink seat!

Sergeant Spandex
    like this one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official GT Thread-il_570xn.475686421_lvcw.jpg  

gobsmacked Moderator
    hahaha. We need more women in the forums.

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    Kind of but uglier lol!

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    Well success at last on the job. The guy came out this morning and loaded his truck with all kinds of junk and garbage, got it all on video then we followed him to the dump and took more video of him emptying the truck. On our way home now to sunny California can't wait to go for a bike ride. Idaho was freezing cold and snowing, only saw the sun once for a brief time. I love you Nor Cal! Check out my Idaho pic taken at Lake Couer D Alene yesterday, we're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Thats a bit random!?!? :0
    Yebbut ^ not half as random as that.

Grumps

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    Lol this is a continuance of a post from yesterday. I have all kinds of trouble on this site it seems, dissapearing posts among other things making me look like I'm bat crap crazy! I swear I am a sane and normal person, well maybe just sane, you do believe me don't you grumps? Lmao

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hmmm from GTs to travel channel, but I agree with the sentiment, I was in MT for thanksgiving, in the 20's and now happily back in Bezerkley. Sorry no recent GT stories to tell except that I raced a GT Mach one when I was a "kid"...go chrome!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Lol this is a continuance of a post from yesterday. I have all kinds of trouble on this site it seems, dissapearing posts among other things making me look like I'm bat crap crazy! I swear I am a sane and normal person, well maybe just sane, you do believe me don't you grumps? Lmao
    lol. I can assure you I'm not deleting your posts. You happen to be posting in multiple threads in multiple forums so I think you forgot that you wrote about your stakeout in General, not here. Mik_git and I may be the only ones that have seen you in both threads... http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...e-1029161.html

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    Why thank you now tell everyone that I'm not crazy just blond and ditzy!

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    I know all my posts are not really related to bikes now but I get so damn bored sitting in the car, even though I am not riding too much lately I am still thinking and planning bike projects constantly and am using my travels to look for that great Xiang deal that may be out there in another state. I have found that by far the biggest number of GTs are found in California though but I could get lucky I think. it just so happens that I was born and raised in Berkeley, grew up on Hopkins do you know where that is? Oh and BTW this is a reply to Mr Claus post

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    Just found a PAIR of Schwalbe thunder Burt's new in the boxes for sale in Medford for 70.00! We will be passing within 20 miles of there tomorrow so am trying to talk my boss into taking a detour!

Maaaaan
    Hey now... This isn't the Wimin's Lounge.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    Schwalbe thunder Burt's are for wimmin? Damn am I the only female in this thread? Its lonely at the top!

LeZaskargirl
    Nov 2016
    what do you guys think of mid 90s race face turbines?

Maaaaan
    Schwalbe thunder Burt's are for wimmin? Damn am I the only female in this thread? Its lonely at the top!
    No GoBlett is a Wimin too.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Can someone get this back on track and post a GT?

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    Can someone get this back on track and post a GT?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That looks just like my Psyclone!

Sneaker man
    yeah... but I updated to have a..whats it caled long center or something... so keeping with new geo of long TT and slack HA... but I got stem length all wrong.

Maaaaan
    I think the seat is on backwards and there appears to be a cracked dropout.

Sneaker man
    no, no, it's all good. To notch bike, no issues, will take offers over $3000

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Flat end cap by the look of it. Zaskar, right?

Grumps

Sneaker man
    yeah sorry, its such a low res pic, took it with an iphone...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So, a rounded end cap, integrated seat post clamp, 6061 stamped on the inside of the dropouts, but no serial number:

OI000026
    OI000027
    OI000025
    OI000024
    OI000023

Taiwanese Avalanche?

Sneaker man
    seat clamp make it 98 or newer, round cap make it not a zaskar...6061 probably avalanche.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah, thought that might be the case.

Thanks, man!

Sergeant Spandex
    what do you guys think of mid 90s race face turbines?
    Love 'em I have three pairs.

Sergeant Spandex
    I have posted this before but here is my Psyclone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official GT Thread-1994-gt-psyclone-full.jpg  

Official GT Thread-1994-gt-psyclone-front.jpg  

Official GT Thread-1994-gt-psyclone-cable-routing.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My first bike was a 91 Karakoram. Paid $600 for it with a Deore DX build. Eventually upgraded to XT bullet shifters, and a bontrager crown fork.

My brother still has an early 90s zaskar frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Such a sad thing GTs are quite uncommon in Europe. At least that is my impression.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Official GT Thread-gt-richter-8.0.jpg

GT Richter 8.0 - a $20 find in So Cal earlier this year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Official GT Thread

I've always wanted to join the triple triangle club, I'm in. New pick up today, $25. Funky, sticker covered goodness. I'm not sure if it's a 14" Avalanche, Pantera or another model. Good parts.
    XTR crank set
    XTR front and rear derailleurs
    Marzocchi forks
    Ringle bar
    Answer Stubbie stem not a Stubbie 2
    SDG saddle w/ titanium rails
    Hutchinson Pythons.
    Now I need to decide to keep as is or put these parts on a 16" beat up polished Zaskar frame I bought for $30. Or keep both and and build a "new" bike-every so often by swapping parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MrPatrick; 02-15-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Nice parts pick up for $25.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    It rides real nice. I get post #1000, cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast