mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Newbie with front shock question

Hello all,
    When I graduated high school in 1986 I bought a Raleigh Elkhorn. My son now has a mountain bike and we've discovered the single track trails nearby. I would like to put a front shock on my bike. Can I put one on and how do I find one?
    Thanks.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Good question, not sure it's been asked before.

Not familiar with that model, but a quick google tells me it's a 1" steerer and canti brakes. You are not going to find a new fork in 1" steerer and certainly not with cantilever posts for the brakes.

The second hand market is a bit of a trap for new players. Any fork with 1" steerer will have been made in the canti brake era (or at least v-brake era) so will have brake posts. You need to find something with the right steerer length, and also something that won't throw the geometry off. I don't think you're going to find something to fit your needs, at least not without a loooong search.

My 10c is to keep the bike as it is. They a lovely looking bike as they stand. You'd be better off looking at a modern bike (I know, blasphemy) which has suspension. I'm not saying spend $6k on a carbon dually (but I'm not stopping you from that either).

A second hand hardtail in good order that is say 5 years old would be a good starting point. At least go and talk to a well stocked shop with a few brands on the floor and compare prices and fit to give you an idea.

Lots of us here take their old bikes out on the trails for guilty pleasure of riding vintage. Keep the Raleigh as it is and enjoy it.

Grumps

Sneaker man
    Yeah it will be had...er not impossible, but super hard. Plus any fork will raise the front a bit, even old 50mm forks
    But old rock shocks (the original) and the mag 10,20, 21 and 30. Also Manitou 1,2,3, sport may be able to be fitted, if you can find some, and you want to pay for them, and they have the right length 1inch threaded steerer...

On another note, maybe look for a thing called a Flexstem, not ideal and only good for easy but bumpy trails, but they came in 1 inch (I have one so I know) and fit old quill stems. They do take the buzz out of the trails, but turn to crap if things get actually rough.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    For the price of any fork worth fitting you could pick up an entire bike that will be better overall. I wouldn't invest money in that bike.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Cheap, simple effective?

Pic up a fatter front tire, and drop your pressure.

Got a pic, straight on, from the front of the bike, concentrated on the tire/fork crown area?

Some bikes in that era had big clearance, so a 2.3 to 2.5 might be possible.

Not much, but guessing you have some skinny, old stuff on there now, an extra 1/2" of cush is just that...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com