New ebay score: 93 DB Overdrive- Mtbr.com
    Mtn Biker Machinist

New ebay score: 93 DB Overdrive

Just scored a 93 DB overdrive frame and fork from ebay Not too drool worthy like some steeds posted here, but still a cool piece of mtb history to me!

Can't wait to get it and build it up. For now I am using the parts from my schwinn crisscross to get it running, then I will swap things out as budget permits.

I remember reading from martini and cegrover that the Conti vapor 29X2.1, and Bontrager Jones 29X1.8 will fit. Anyone have success with other 29er tires that they know will fit?

Anyone have scans of the 93 DB catalog or a spec sheet they could share? Trying to figure out if I have the right stem and seatpost in the parts bin or not. I checked the German site, but they only have the 91 catalog. Thanks

Really blurry pics from the seller, will post better ones when I get it.

edit: guess I better change my signature now!

frog
    Attached Images Attached Images

Witty McWitterson
    Nice score. I wonder if you got the one I had. I remember putting v brakes on it, and possibly black chainrings. Hmmm. I'll have to check my images at home tonight. Good to see you got a want. Still looking for a Project 5/7....
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    I remember reading from martini and cegrover that the Conti vapor 29X2.1, and Bontrager Jones 29X1.8 will fit. Anyone have success with other 29er tires that they know will fit?

Anyone have scans of the 93 DB catalog or a spec sheet they could share? Trying to figure out if I have the right stem and seatpost in the parts bin or not. I checked the German site, but they only have the 91 catalog.
    Cool score! Obviously, I'm partial to these, too. It's not an exotic bike, but it's a pretty cool piece of MTB history and I'm glad you finally found one.

I'm not much help on tires. I currently run IRC Mythos CX semi-slicks on it for path/light trail use. So...I'm not exactly pushing the limits on width.

Specs are here: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...rive&Type=bike

Yours came with DX, Avenir (DB's brand) rims and Zoom cockpit. I think the Brahma bar is a nice touch. Mine was missing when I got the bike, so I picked one up NOS a while back. I'm going to put that on and wrap it in some nice cork; so my Overdrive ('93 Comp) is going to to get closer to stock soon...photos will follow. :-)

mtbr member
    here ya go! One 1993 DB Overdrive catalog page. Congrats on the pick-up.

IMG_1624.JPG

mtbr member
    I remember those smoke tires being damn big for their time. Probably can squeeze in any tire under 2.0

mtbr member
    I put some 52/47 Nanoraptors on an OD in 1999. At the same time I put on a Mantiou 700c sus fork but the stock rigid will hold a Nano also. At some point later I used Das Crimper on the seatstays and chainstays a little bit but I ran it quite awhile without, granted in a very dry environment. The bike is still in service today btw.

The OD comp that I have dealt with will not fit the "tire". Any of the 28" knobbies out today will fit just fine with clearance on both bikes though.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Wow. i had no idea that 29-ers went back that far. Wonder why they didn't catch on back then?

Witty McWitterson
    I think its been boiled down to a lack of tire choices. Panaracer had the Smoke, and it was a skinny bastard. I think that was it, really. No one else jumped in to make tires. The bikes that were out, were slim on the clearance, so IF there were tires available, they wouldn't fit.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

Follow me Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by robinmiller
    Wow. i had no idea that 29-ers went back that far. Wonder why they didn't catch on back then?
    As Martini said, the tires were anemic. Try riding your 26" MTB with 1.75's on it for a similar experience. I never liked my OD that much with the Smokes, nor even Wes's 28"ers with the 45c Conti's until there was some volume in the tires ala the Nano, after that it rode quite well. But the idea of riding a 700c sized rim with a large volume tire is even older than that, way older......
    bicycle1L.jpg
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Mtn Biker Machinist

seatpost and stem?

Thanks for the responses, I will start looking for some 1.8-1.9 tires. In the meanwhile, anyone know what diameter the seatpost is? And is the headset 1" or 1 1/8" threaded? Just trying to round up the right parts so I can get it built when it arrives on Tue! Can't wait.

edit: looks like cegrover's had a 26.8 post is that true for all 3 years? Still wondering on the headset! thanks

frog

Witty McWitterson
    yep 26.8 post, and the headset was 1 1/8".
    Just a regular guy.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Update pics

After an over-cautious UPS driver sent the frame back to the seller (thought it was damaged cuz the fork dropout had poked out of the box) I finally got my 93 DB overdrive frame on Thur. The frame is in great shape, and I am pretty sure it is the same one Martini sold a while back.

None of the parts are the original spec except frame, fork, and headset but I think it will be a fun ride nonetheless. I may eventually collect the originals, but for now I just want to ride it!

I threw a 29X2.3 WTB Exi Wolf tire (which measures about 2.15) in the front just for kicks, and amazingly, it fits! Not much clearance but it does fit. The rear is not as wide, and I will be lucky to get a 1.9 in there.

Right now it has some 40c Kenda Kross tires until I can get a pair of Conti Vapors or something similar off eBay. I can't wait to get it finished so I can take it for a spin.

Pics are frame as I got it, Exi Wolf in front, and as it stands so far!

mtbr member
    Everything old is new again, eh? That is really cool, I had no idea there were 700C mountain bikes being marketed as such back then.

mtbr member
    Did those have 1" or 1&1/8" steerer tubes? I want to try one of my bikes as a 69er and that fork could work out well if it is a 1".

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    This is cool! I finally found a thread and some info on the override! I have been looking for a while! Do you have any recent pictures of your bike?
    Name:  V2Sqqncm.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  whflWw4m.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  13.7 KB

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by kkleine View Post
    This is cool! I finally found a thread and some info on the override! I have been looking for a while! Do you have any recent pictures of your bike?
    Name:  V2Sqqncm.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  whflWw4m.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  13.7 KB
    Wow, I had completely forgotten about this thread! I still have my Overdrive, itís now my sonís bike. With the quantity of great gravel tires available now, there are lots of possibilities with this bike. Mine definitely isnít close to stock anymore, but itís still fun to ride! Hereís a few pics of setups in the past. Iíll post new pics when I finish the latest upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks for sharing the pics! I am actually currently saving for a 1x10 conversion, dirt drop conversion, and tires.

I want to use the same stem you have.

What was the largest tire you were able to run on this bike. It looks like you have had some cool setups on the override.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Wow, I had completely forgotten about this thread! I still have my Overdrive, itís now my sonís bike. With the quantity of great gravel tires available now, there are lots of possibilities with this bike. Mine definitely isnít close to stock anymore, but itís still fun to ride! Hereís a few pics of setups in the past. Iíll post new pics when I finish the latest upgrades.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

See my previous post. I forgot to quote you.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Thanks for sharing the pics! I am actually currently saving for a 1x10 conversion, dirt drop conversion, and tires.

I want to use the same stem you have.

What was the largest tire you were able to run on this bike. It looks like you have had some cool setups on the override.
    Not sure the tire clearance on the Override, but my Overdrive clears a 2.1 in front, but barely a 1.8 or 1.9 in back.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post

What a great looking bike. Xtra points for the Ringle moby post.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    What a great looking bike. Xtra points for the Ringle moby post.
    Thanks! I have a thing for red anodized parts!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    So I cant find much info on these bikes, so I figured I'd ask you. Do you happen to know if the frame spacing is for 135 mm O.L.D. mtb rear hubs or 130 mm road bike rear hubs? I had to re-dish my rear wheel and my shifting is a bit wonky on the rear large gears. I'm trying to figure out what i can do to correct the chain angle and spacing.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    So I cant find much info on these bikes, so I figured I'd ask you. Do you happen to know if the frame spacing is for 135 mm O.L.D. mtb rear hubs or 130 mm road bike rear hubs? I had to re-dish my rear wheel and my shifting is a bit wonky on the rear large gears. I'm trying to figure out what i can do to correct the chain angle and spacing.
    135mm rear spacing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Members who have read this thread: 35