Need to rebuid an xtr 951 rear derrailleur.- Mtbr.com
    artistic...

Need to rebuid an xtr 951 rear derrailleur.

The upper jockey pullley axle broke. I hear noises and can not shift anymore so I look down and there is mess down there. No more upper pulley and one of the cages is falling down.
    I did not go back for the parts. Seems everything is right other than the missing parts BUT .. when i look at the inside cage i canīt see any threads left for an axle to hold the pulley unlike an xt derr. cage.
    I know i can buy jockey pulleys but how about the axles and whatever necessary to thread it?
    Itīs a very nice derrailleur i have been using for 20yrs. light and pretty to look at. Not the first xtr 950 part to explode on me though.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

artistic...
    I could use the back cage from an xt 737. It seems the distance between pulley axles are the same and unlike the xtr part, the cage on the m737 is threaded.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    I could use the back cage from an xt 737. It seems the distance between pulley axles are the same and unlike the xtr part, the cage on the m737 is threaded.
    Nope. Wonīt work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have some 951 parts and might have what you need. What length cage is it? I will take a look, might not be till Sunday though.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Find a bolt & nut that will fit. Done.

Have you found your bomber rebuild kit?
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post

Have you found your bomber rebuild kit?
    Not yet. I have to. The recent shipping madness put me off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The upper jockey pullley axle broke. I hear noises and can not shift anymore so I look down and there is mess down there. No more upper pulley and one of the cages is falling down.
    I did not go back for the parts. Seems everything is right other than the missing parts BUT .. when i look at the inside cage i canīt see any threads left for an axle to hold the pulley unlike an xt derr. cage.
    I know i can buy jockey pulleys but how about the axles and whatever necessary to thread it?
    Itīs a very nice derrailleur i have been using for 20yrs. light and pretty to look at. Not the first xtr 950 part to explode on me though.
    After re-reading your post I see something that might not have been clear to me the first time I read it. Do you have zero threads on the inner plate?

On the 951 the inner plate is threaded for the tension pulley(lower)and the outer plate is threaded for the guide pulley(upper).

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    I have some 951 parts and might have what you need. What length cage is it? I will take a look, might not be till Sunday though.
    Long cage. Thanks!

Cages look to be fine but pulleys, axles, nuts and bolts are gone. I took what was left and rebuilt an m737 derrailleur. I have an xt on the bike and can ride but it would be a shame to let this xtr die: so light and so pretty.

artistic...
    After re-reading your post I see something that might not have been clear to me the first time I read it. Do you have zero threads on the inner plate?

On the 951 the inner plate is threaded for the tension pulley(lower)and the outer plate is threaded for the guide pulley(upper).
    Hmmm!
    I tried the xt derr bolt through and it would not go. But i did it as i saw on the xt derr. which is threaded on the inner plate for both pulleys.

artistic...
    So i rebuilt it by canibalizing one pulley from an m737 used for singlespeed duties and a bolt from an m 761. This is while i donīt find new parts. I have been not buying anything that involves shipping this year due to the exceptional times we are living and the extended shipping times.
    I have no clue if i have the proper up and down pulley replaced. Seems shimano specifies different pulleys but inspectiing them gives me no practical difference.
    A couple observations so far: the m737 seems heavier than the 761. The cage on the 761 is significantly longer than both xtr and 737. The xtr is very light.

mtbr member

Idea!

I have no clue if i have the proper up and down pulley replaced. Seems shimano specifies different pulleys but inspectiing them gives me no practical difference.
    If I recall correctly, the upper pulley has a little side to side play in it and the lower one should be tight (but not binding, obviously). Hope it’s working for you!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    If I recall correctly, the upper pulley has a little side to side play in it and the lower one should be tight (but not binding, obviously). Hope it’s working fo you!
    In my untrained hands they seem to offer the same deal of movement. Shifting is not pristine as i want. I found out many vendors on line of deore level pulleys so i will buy a new pair and see how shifting improves.

Cycologist
    I've got an XTR 9-speed rapid rise if anyone's interested. I'd have to check the exact model number but it's from 2005. Looks like the OP is outside the US, hence the shipping issues with all that's going on.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I've got an XTR 9-speed rapid rise if anyone's interested. I'd have to check the exact model number but it's from 2005. Looks like the OP is outside the US, hence the shipping issues with all that's going on.

Yes. Itīs a good time to avoid shipping here unless absolutely necessary. Otoh improvising w/ my parts box and tools have been quite entertaining.
    There is a local ebay market here but the number of CC scams is another pita. LBS has been my main source.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I dug around a little and found one outer cage for a 951. It sounds like you are back up and running.

The XTR derailleur has bearings where the lower level just has bushings. As @mainlyfats mentioned the upper pulley was designed to float side to side. There is a bushing inside the bearing sandwiched between two top hat like washers, if you hold it between your thumb and finger you can move it side to side about the thickness of a small coin. The lower pulley may wiggle a little but does not have the side to side float. Some of the upper pulleys had the word centeron written on them.

artistic...
    I dug around a little and found one outer cage for a 951. It sounds like you are back up and running.

The XTR derailleur has bearings where the lower level just has bushings. As @mainlyfats mentioned the upper pulley was designed to float side to side. There is a bushing inside the bearing sandwiched between two top hat like washers, if you hold it between your thumb and finger you can move it side to side about the thickness of a small coin. The lower pulley may wiggle a little but does not have the side to side float. Some of the upper pulleys had the word centeron written on them.
    I happen to have three shimano derr not mounted on bikes. So i tried the "wiggle the pulley and see what shimano did" but i swear i canīt see the difference. I even pulled out the caps (well.. they fell off) and checked but everything looked the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I happen to have three shimano derr not mounted on bikes. So i tried the "wiggle the pulley and see what shimano did" but i swear i canīt see the difference. I even pulled out the caps (well.. they fell off) and checked but everything looked the same.
    Interesting. I have always felt it was quite pronounced. I will pull some parts together and get a few pictures and post tonight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It is very subtle, I tried to capture it but may have fallen short.
    Need to rebuid an xtr 951 rear derrailleur.-img_1118.jpg
    Need to rebuid an xtr 951 rear derrailleur.-img_1119.jpg

Upper XT dis-assembled showing what allows the float.
    Need to rebuid an xtr 951 rear derrailleur.-img_1103.jpg
    Upper XT and lower XTR
    Need to rebuid an xtr 951 rear derrailleur.-img_1104.jpg

My goal was to clarify the difference of the pulleys.

artistic...
    It is very subtle, I tried to capture it but may have fallen short.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1118.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	264.1 KB 
ID:	1372049

Name:	IMG_1119.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	1372055

Upper XT dis-assembled showing what allows the float.

Name:	IMG_1103.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	402.8 KB 
ID:	1372051
    Upper XT and lower XTR

Name:	IMG_1104.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	416.9 KB 
ID:	1372053

My goal was to clarify the difference of the pulleys.
    Yes. I noticed yesterday. Very subtle. Since i am running 8sp cassettes on a 7sp thumbie i need the pulley tolerance. I canīt find any 8sp pulleys in the shops here. Only 11sp.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That is a bummer.