mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Need Advices about choosing my 1st mtb....

Hello MTB enthusiast...
    I need some advices about choosing my 1st mtb bike. I prefer to own vintage/classic mtb cause I'd like to brought back some nostalgic event when i was in high school. I just want to ride it on the road or modest xcountry...I'd like the bike around early 90's.
    I have budget around 1500$, and on my lists base on surfing online, I hope i can find 'a flagship' bike product from its brand. Here are the list:
    1. Bridgestone MB-0/MB-1
    2. Panasonic Pro-team
    3. KHS Montana team / Pro
    4. Ritchey P-20 / P-21
    5. Miyata team
    6. Klein Top Gun

According to your knowledge and experiences, guys...what bike on above list should i choose??...

I am looking forward for your advices and explanation and deeply appreciate for your kind attention...

Best regard,
    alan

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Id recommend that you dont get an old bike. If this is your first MTB, I think youd have a better experience learning on a modern bike. For example, a hardtail 29er. VRC bikes are great, but newer bikes , in general, are much better to learn on. Just my opinion.

If I were forced to pick from your list, Id go with the Bridgestone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelancuringbawana View Post
    1. Bridgestone MB-0/MB-1
    2. Panasonic Pro-team
    3. KHS Montana team / Pro
    4. Ritchey P-20 / P-21
    5. Miyata team
    6. Klein Top Gun
    1. MB-0 (Zips) are investment-grade. Very nice, traditional geometry bikes with Mavic bits. MB-1 is fine, but most that I've seen have been Riv'd into commuters by now.
    2. Panasonic Pro-team we didn't see much of in Canada. Panasonics are generally very high quality bikes though. I'd be interested in how you could nostalgic for this though.
    3. KHS Montana Pro. These were cheap, price-point bikes in NA. People would buy them, move the XTR parts over to a "real" frame and turn the Pro into a beater bar-bike. Decent bikes, but they get a meh in terms of rarity or value.
    4. Ritchey P-20/21. I don't know if you've ever seen a P-20 in person, but I wouldn't call them durable. If you can find one that hasn't been ridden, at your price, then this would be a great bike as long as you're not really tall or heavy. P-21's are great bikes. Big fan of old steel Ritcheys.
    5. Miyata's are solid, excellent bikes. Unless you're nostalgic for Greg Herbold, they have absolutely no emotional resonance though.
    6. You can't afford a Top Gun.

Look at Fat Chances and Merlins, too. Great value in looking into lesser-known single builder names like Rock Lobster, Ted Wojcik and Otis Guy from this era.

CS2
    mtbr member
    They are all pretty nice bikes. The Bridgestone and Ritchey have a cult following. Which is good as far as resale value goes. Ive always liked Stumpjumpers. They are are affordable and every bit as good as the bikes on your list. Good luck and happy hunting.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Lindsay Mountain Goat or Escape Goat. Ibis Avion. Schwinn Paramountain. Classic, sweet riding, steel mtbs, but harder to find.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My vote from your list would also be Bridgestone or Ritchey.
    Youd have to pry my Fat Chance from under my dead body. The Monster Fat i could see letting go, but not my other.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Id recommend that you dont get an old bike. If this is your first MTB, I think youd have a better experience learning on a modern bike. For example, a hardtail 29er. VRC bikes are great, but newer bikes , in general, are much better to learn on. Just my opinion.

If I were forced to pick from your list, Id go with the Bridgestone.
    In my opinion, new bike with 'high-grade' series is rather pricey for me....I consider also if I would resale it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Lindsay Mountain Goat or Escape Goat. Ibis Avion. Schwinn Paramountain. Classic, sweet riding, steel mtbs, but harder to find.
    Thanks guys for your suggestion...but in my country those bikes brand are quite rare...even for second-hand condition...

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Wow i just heard that...I rarely seen a stumpjumpers in my country...

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    1. MB-0 (Zips) are investment-grade. Very nice, traditional geometry bikes with Mavic bits. MB-1 is fine, but most that I've seen have been Riv'd into commuters by now.
    2. Panasonic Pro-team we didn't see much of in Canada. Panasonics are generally very high quality bikes though. I'd be interested in how you could nostalgic for this though.
    3. KHS Montana Pro. These were cheap, price-point bikes in NA. People would buy them, move the XTR parts over to a "real" frame and turn the Pro into a beater bar-bike. Decent bikes, but they get a meh in terms of rarity or value.
    4. Ritchey P-20/21. I don't know if you've ever seen a P-20 in person, but I wouldn't call them durable. If you can find one that hasn't been ridden, at your price, then this would be a great bike as long as you're not really tall or heavy. P-21's are great bikes. Big fan of old steel Ritcheys.
    5. Miyata's are solid, excellent bikes. Unless you're nostalgic for Greg Herbold, they have absolutely no emotional resonance though.
    6. You can't afford a Top Gun.

Look at Fat Chances and Merlins, too. Great value in looking into lesser-known single builder names like Rock Lobster, Ted Wojcik and Otis Guy from this era.
    wow...excellent comparison and review....(y)
    actually I can afford a Top Gun but with just only original frame, and the rest of the parts were just for rebuild it to complete bike and rideable...
    Anyway, which one you'll choose from athe lists???

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelancuringbawana View Post
    wow...excellent comparison and review....(y)
    actually I can afford a Top Gun but with just only original frame, and the rest of the parts were just for rebuild it to complete bike and rideable...
    Anyway, which one you'll choose from athe lists???
    I rode a rascal for 6 years - pretty much a top gun. Love of my mtb life... can easily find pinnacles and rascals on craigslist for $500 or so.

Of the bikes you listed that would be my choice. But even better find a strata forked attitude or adroit. Much better ride.

Or what is wrong with an old merlin? I'd take the merlin over any of those steel things. Old merlins are classy.

That said... is crazy to buy one of these old pieces of junk to ride. If you want to actually mtb you really want disk brakes, tubeless tires and a suspension fork.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by eri View Post
    I rode a rascal for 6 years - pretty much a top gun. Love of my mtb life... can easily find pinnacles and rascals on craigslist for $500 or so.

Of the bikes you listed that would be my choice. But even better find a strata forked attitude or adroit. Much better ride.

Or what is wrong with an old merlin? I'd take the merlin over any of those steel things. Old merlins are classy.

That said... is crazy to buy one of these old pieces of junk to ride. If you want to actually mtb you really want disk brakes, tubeless tires and a suspension fork.
    You do realise we're in the VRC section don't you...where we all ride those sorts of bikes all the time...
    All the gear and no idea.

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    You do realise we're in the VRC section don't you...where we all ride those sorts of bikes all the time...
    Sure... But I don't think we should tell a newb that these jalopies make a good first mtb.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi