My stash (not what you think)- Mtbr.com
    Retro on Steroids

My stash (not what you think)

I probably have one of the two or three definitive libraries of the beginning of our sport. It amounts to hundreds of pounds of paper that I can't bear to discard, and have therefore had to tote and store for over 20 years.

Since most of the first articles to appear concerned myself and my friends, I kept them. In fact, I kept every scrap of paper about mountain bking until it became such a torrent in the late '80s that it became impossible to find and store it all.

In some respects my collection is like having the world's biggest ball of string, impressive for its sheer size, but no one will ask you for a piece to wrap a package.

I recently had a call from Jacquie Phelan, looking for a copy of her first published article, in a 1983 issue of "Bike Tech" from Rodale. I was happy to tell her that I had every issue, including the one she was interested in.

The library doesn't travel, but if there is research someone wants to do, it's certainly available to MTBR members who want to visit.

Here are a few photos to illustrate my burden. The bookshelf full of binders has all my photos and articles. I didn't even bother to photograph stacks of boxes of Fat Tire Flyers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My stash (not what you think)-ftfiles03.jpg  

My stash (not what you think)-ftfiles04.jpg  

My stash (not what you think)-ftfiles05.jpg  

My stash (not what you think)-ftfiles01.jpg  

My stash (not what you think)-ftfiles02.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks CK. Very nice of you to give access to it.

Impressive array of literature.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nice. Love the VTT mag and the filing cabinet...

I had most of the books in the first pics at some time... but before they become cool in a VRC way, they become totally worthless and a waste of space.

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    I would enjoy reading up on all that beta, but if I run into CK for the day, I am going to talk you into going for a ride. What an honor that would be,
    T
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    I wasn't aware that you co-authored the MTB version of Richard's bicycle book. I had a very early copy of the pre-mtb edition (1973?)but have misplaced it. Was it just you and Nick Crane on that one or was Richard Ballantine involved too? I remember him having a pretty funny attitude to some aspects of cycling, particularly riding in traffic!

VRC Illuminati
    You have to scan every page of every book and magazine. Sorry CK.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Damn, and I thought I had a paper pack rat issue

Very kind offer, I'm sure there's some folks who'll take you up on it!
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Just looked at the stuff in the file draw - that 1980 BMX Action is probably worth as much as some of your bikes!

(Well maybe not one of your bikes, but those BMX guys are crazy)

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    Nice. Love the VTT mag and the filing cabinet...

I had most of the books in the first pics at some time... but before they become cool in a VRC way, they become totally worthless and a waste of space.
    Most of the books in my mountain bike library are autographed by the author and mention me in some respect, so of course I kept them. The pile on the floor is about 1/4 of what is on the shelf, since I have a pretty good traditional cycling library in addition to the MTB stuff.

mtbr member
    Quite the Archive there.

I'd say you have most of the "history of mountain biking" in one place.

keep it safe.......

mtbr member
    LeRun???.....Charlie how could you? I'm sure it was just a sticker pick up from a bike show?
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    One of my majors was history and I spent a lot of time in archives. I have to say, that is impressive and probably really useful for future works on mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm a big fan of old paper too and seeing that treasure of yours makes me wonder if you have an up to recent standards electric wiring and a proper fire alarm.
    If your library had the same fate as the one in Alexandria it would be a comparable disaster for mankind !

mtbr member
    Very nice. Between you and FFB, most of the history of MTB has been archived. I can't wait for the digital version.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Members who have read this thread: 0