My New, err old, Diamond Back Apex build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

My New, err old, Diamond Back Apex build

After finding a good deal on some wheels with Nuke Proof hubs, I decided it was time to pull the Apex off the wall and build it back up. I bought this bike brand new back in the end of 1993. I was working at the Cranford Bike Shop and this bike was in one of the display boxes, after saving up my paychecks and a sweet deal from my boss Tom, she was all mine! Full LX group and no shock, this was the bike that really got me into the sport. The parts got upgraded and eventually moved to other frames, i always kept the old Apex. After picking up these wheels, I decided to build this bike back up with parts I couldn't afford back them. But i do not want like new parts, i want patina, just like the frame!
    I want to start this post as a place to document my build. Feel free to comment and follow along! Here's a pic of the frame, all naked, but not for long!

My New, err old, Diamond Back Apex build-1004190858.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffnjm3; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:38 AM. Reason: Screwed up link

Human shaped object
    I can't tell from the picture, does that seatpost ever end? Following this closely, as my ratty Hardrock is going through a similar rebirth, minus the quality wheelset.
    Life is the sieve through which my anarchy strains, resolving itself into works

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It goes aaaaalllll the way up Lol! It looks like the size is too big, but I swear I had it on that frame, but we are talking over 20 years ago, so who knows!

Rocks belong
    I had a red Diamond Back Apex of about the same age. High quality (and smooooth riding) butted chromo frame, swooped "SnakeStays" - that thing was cool.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It really was my favorite bike over the years, well at least until my current Scott, but it's a completely different kind of ride.

Got a fork for the build! Pretty happy with this Mag21, it was between a mag and a Manitou 3/4/EFC, but this was too good to pass up!

My New, err old, Diamond Back Apex build-1112191850.jpg

slow
    Looking forward to following your build. I worked in shops during that time period too, so have great memories of seeing the fancy stuff come thrugh the door. I still have 3 wheels hanging in my garage with Nukeproof hubs. They were great for me and I never encountered the broken flange issues that others experienced. That said, keep an eye on them if you are riding them hard. HAve fun with your build!

mtbr member
    Love seeing those old DB frames.
    My all time favorite frame I had was the Axis TT.
    Wish I had kept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Human shaped object
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffnjm3 View Post
    It really was my favorite bike over the years, well at least until my current Scott, but it's a completely different kind of ride.

Got a fork for the build! Pretty happy with this Mag21, it was between a mag and a Manitou 3/4/EFC, but this was too good to pass up!

Haha another similarity in our builds! Here's my "Mag21":

Do you have the instructions for servicing the shock? Also, do you know how to gain a few millimeters of travel? I have info if you are interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New, err old, Diamond Back Apex build-futureshock.jpg  

Human shaped object
    Also, not sure about the RockShox, but there was a recall for the 1992 Spesh version, this is from the 1994 press release:
    "Specialized has received at least 15 reports of accidents resulting in personal injuries, including three reported serious injuries, when the stanchion tubes (upper fork legs) separated from the fork crown while in use. The separation occurred due to insufficient tightening of the fork crown bolts and/or oil residue in the fork crown/stanchion tube joint.

The 1992 Future Shock suspension forks, made only for mountain bikes, were sold nationwide for about $315 each by authorized Specialized bicycle retailers, Specialized accessory dealers, and Bike Nashbar. Consumers can distinguish the 1992 suspension forks from later models because in later, non-recalled models, the stanchion tubes pass through the fork crown; in 1992 models they do not."

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks all! MattiThundrrr, did we just become best friends? Lol, I may hit you up for that stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    A little update. Picked up a Kooka stem that had faded from red to pink! So i removed the anodization and polished it up, came out great!

Also picked up a RaceFace Real Seal headset, can't wait to get the front end of this thing all together!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New, err old, Diamond Back Apex build-1122191727.jpg  

My New, err old, Diamond Back Apex build-1122191903.jpg  

My New, err old, Diamond Back Apex build-1122191739.jpg  

Human shaped object
    Lol we'll probably stop being besties when I get jealous because your build turns out better, and is done faster than mine. You bitch!
    The Mag is straight steerer? Even more jelly, if I want threadless style stem, I need an adapter!