My DEAN Aluminum- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Dumpster Diver
    Reputation: YETIFIED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,093

    My DEAN Aluminum

    I bought this yesterday for $30. Anyone know what the frame is and the year? It features and externally butted head tube, replaceable derailure dropout, buit in anti-chain suck bracket, three on top cable routing and eyelets for rack/paniers. Thanx, Stuart
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Illuminati
    Reputation: scant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,724

    We the people ...

    did you really only pay $30 for the complete bike? bargain! ;D

  3. #3
    Dumpster Diver
    Reputation: YETIFIED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by scant
    did you really only pay $30 for the complete bike? bargain! ;D
    Yes! I bought it yesterday. A girl had it on Craig's List, "DEAN MTN BIKE-$30" and nobody took the ad seriously. I called her and she said come and get it. Her boyfriend gave it to her and they are getting ready to move to Santa Cruz where a new Santa Cruz mtn bike and Giant road bike await her. Do you have any idea what kind of frame this is? It's not a DEAN? Unless they made some aluminum frames while I was out of mountain biking. Thanx, Stuart

  4. #4
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED
    Yes! I bought it yesterday. A girl had it on Craig's List, "DEAN MTN BIKE-$30" and nobody took the ad seriously. I called her and she said come and get it. Her boyfriend gave it to her and they are getting ready to move to Santa Cruz where a new Santa Cruz mtn bike and Giant road bike await her. Do you have any idea what kind of frame this is? It's not a DEAN? Unless they made some aluminum frames while I was out of mountain biking. Thanx, Stuart
    Now that's odd...she also had a Merlin up for $50 (same email address). I emailed and said I'd take it, but what's the catch. I assumed scam city! I didn't bother with the DEAN.

    Nice grab.

    I'd say that bike is somewhere in the 1996-1997 range.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  5. #5
    Dumpster Diver
    Reputation: YETIFIED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Now that's odd...she also had a Merlin up for $50 (same email address). I emailed and said I'd take it, but what's the catch. I assumed scam city! I didn't bother with the DEAN.

    Nice grab.

    I'd say that bike is somewhere in the 1996-1997 range.
    It's simple Eric, she liked me and didn't like you. LOL

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Feldybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED
    Anyone know what the frame is and the year?
    I'd guess 1994 judging by the fork which appears to be a Quadra 21R. Maybe 1995 from the XT cranks. Those could've been upgraded, though. The rear der. is right for that year, as are the wheels and the stem. Though it's a bit odd for a Dean of that era to not have a Dean stem, too. The brakes are definatley add-ons from a later year.

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    779
    good job finding that deal. this time its congratulations but next time i'll be pissed. i'll give you $50 for it

  8. #8
    Dumpster Diver
    Reputation: YETIFIED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubbusrider
    good job finding that deal. this time its congratulations but next time i'll be pissed. i'll give you $50 for it
    Well that's what you get for helping me. Should I tell you about the NOS '92 team Slingshot then?

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED
    Well that's what you get for helping me. Should I tell you about the NOS '92 team Slingshot then?
    ???????????????????????

    its yellow? i had one of those frames once. Rumpfy has one too. is that new to you?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes
    I'd guess 1994 judging by the fork which appears to be a Quadra 21R. Maybe 1995 from the XT cranks. Those could've been upgraded, though. The rear der. is right for that year, as are the wheels and the stem. Though it's a bit odd for a Dean of that era to not have a Dean stem, too. The brakes are definatley add-ons from a later year.
    The XT cranks are from '97 - the only year that they made that model.

  11. #11
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Quote Originally Posted by YETIFIED
    Well that's what you get for helping me. Should I tell you about the NOS '92 team Slingshot then?
    Start talkin'.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28

    Maybe its just me...

    But I think you are likely to burst into flames riding that bike.

    It couldn't possibly be any hotter. As in stolen.

    First rule of law enforcement to determine if an item is stolen - If its too good a deal to be true, it isn't.

    Methinks you have purchased someones stolen bike.

  13. #13
    Dumpster Diver
    Reputation: YETIFIED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by duncanmx
    But I think you are likely to burst into flames riding that bike.

    It couldn't possibly be any hotter. As in stolen.

    First rule of law enforcement to determine if an item is stolen - If its too good a deal to be true, it isn't.

    Methinks you have purchased someones stolen bike.
    Well officer, I see your point. However, 1. I went to her house, 2. I have her full name, 3. I have her work and personal email address, 4. I have her phone numbers, 5. And last, I took a picture of her with the bike.

    So, if it's hotter than hell, I'll get it resolved. Methinks you're jealous?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28
    Not really, I love my bike(s). And I'm no officer!

    BUT I also jumped on a good deal once before (or more accurately one of my co-workers at the bike shop did), and it turned out to be stolen. I thought I had it all checked out too - name, phone no., address, even had the S/N checked. Everything checked out, until two weeks later when the owner came into the store and saw it there. WHOOPS, heres your bike back! Mind you, he paid 400 bucks for it, not 30.

    Maybe I just don't trust people anymore?

    I'm sure it will never be reported anyhow, as few ever are. They used to cycle through the stores like mad, and no one ever knew. Nice guy, brings in a bike for maintenance, fix it, ship it out the door. Which brings up a good point, I better go write down my S/N's right now, and snap a few photos while I am thinking about it!

    My gut says its stolen, but I'm crossing my fingers for you. The fact that there was a merlin up for $50 from the same seller makes me even MORE curious! No one would have both of those bikes and not know their value. Just my 2 cents.

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by duncanmx
    Not really, I love my bike(s). And I'm no officer!

    BUT I also jumped on a good deal once before (or more accurately one of my co-workers at the bike shop did), and it turned out to be stolen. I thought I had it all checked out too - name, phone no., address, even had the S/N checked. Everything checked out, until two weeks later when the owner came into the store and saw it there. WHOOPS, heres your bike back! Mind you, he paid 400 bucks for it, not 30.

    Maybe I just don't trust people anymore?

    I'm sure it will never be reported anyhow, as few ever are. They used to cycle through the stores like mad, and no one ever knew. Nice guy, brings in a bike for maintenance, fix it, ship it out the door. Which brings up a good point, I better go write down my S/N's right now, and snap a few photos while I am thinking about it!

    My gut says its stolen, but I'm crossing my fingers for you. The fact that there was a merlin up for $50 from the same seller makes me even MORE curious! No one would have both of those bikes and not know their value. Just my 2 cents.
    i have to agree - especially if she has other name brand bikes she moving to. $300 is an i-need-cash-now price, $30 is an i-need-cash-for-my-dealer-who's-going-to-be-at-my-door-in-an-hour price.

  16. #16
    illuminaughty
    Reputation: da'HOOV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,651

    hmmmm,,,,,

    YETIFIED, does this look like something you have that was green?....was/is it a DEAN? Some of the features look the same, dropouts, chainsuck mount....?
    :)

  17. #17
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,440
    Quote Originally Posted by scant
    did you really only pay $30 for the complete bike? bargain! ;D
    it was $300 but those spin wheels devalued everything to $30.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  18. #18
    member
    Reputation: dick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    102
    wtf with constant locking and unlocking of threads

  19. #19
    illuminaughty
    Reputation: da'HOOV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,651
    oops, my bad, shouldn't have done that.
    :)

  20. #20
    Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reputation: nuck_chorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,809
    i like those slicks
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

  21. #21
    Devolution is real!
    Reputation: toyota200x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    477
    Unreal!!! $30 for that…holly crap…what a deal.

    The stolen talk is scary……it will be sad if that is the case.

  22. #22
    Seeeriously easy Livin
    Reputation: Flystagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,862
    keep in mind that was $30 in 2005 dollars

Similar Threads

  1. Dean Bikes - Why the bad rap?
    By mcidmtb in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2005, 07:11 PM
  2. If you need to know this.
    By KevinVokeyJ24 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 09:40 AM
  3. Brushed aluminum?
    By SMOKEY in forum Turner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 01:00 AM
  4. So whats the BIG difference b/w Steel and Aluminum frames?!
    By Carlosantana in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 02:50 PM
  5. Does Anodizing Weaken Your Frame?
    By nebuladds in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 11:02 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.