My Classic Kestrel CSX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My Classic Kestrel CSX

I chose to wipe the dust off and put air in the tires of my vintage ride. It was my first hard core XC race rig. I'm not sure on the year, but I have to say early 90's. This Kestrel CSX was made at Composite Cycles in CA. So not one of the later China frame. I bought the frame initially at a LBS. They ordered it in primer to send out to a local painter to get something wild on it then put up for sale. As things go it never happened. I was looking to build up a carbon fiber frame bike and they cut me a deal on it since I was riding for the team the shop sponsored at the time. I got the frame at cost and sent it to that same painter they initially wanted to send it to. I don't have a real good picture of it and the paint is in rough shape from all the years of riding, but is is not black as it appears in the pics. It is actually a deep metallic red over a black which when new looked awesome in the sun light. It had XT components on it for that time frame when I built it. It now has a mix of stuff on it, but it all works. The ride I took it on today, which was just around the neighborhood, literally scared me as far as the brakes were concerned. I am so used to the stopping power of the disc on my F29 that the Avid Single Digit Ti did not feel all the confidence inspiring. I plan on holding on to it and maybe some day do a restore, but doubt I could find any of the period correct parts it once had when new. I may just clean it and use what is on it now. I just wanted to share my vintage ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Classic Kestrel CSX-img_20150125_151653_760.jpg  

My Classic Kestrel CSX-img_20150125_153638_023.jpg  

'18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)

Sneaker man
    Love it, love old Kestrels.

Its funny what you say about the brakes, I've been a v-brake holdout for years (had discs, but never really got on with them). Spent some good time on my XT disc equiped Zaskar late last year and really started to dial them in in my head for feel. Jump back on my xizang, and Woa! no brakes at all. haha.

Of what fork is that? A manitou?
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    It is a Manitou Skareb Elite 100mm. Obviously not what I built the bike with initially. It had a Rock Shox Mag 20 on it from new, then I upgraded that to a Manitou EFC fork which I later converted to an all spring fork with a Mountain Speed spring conversion kit. All the bumpers split over time. I wanted an air/oil fork and that is how I ended up with the Skareb.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)