My beautiful bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

My beautiful bike

My beautiful bike-ultimate.jpg

Out spokin'
    I like it a lot. I recall when the Yeti Ultimate came on the scene -- I wanted one SO badly. Didn't get one, tho.

However I did get bar ends. Way back then. And I still employ them on every mountain bike I've owned throughout the years. I never quit using bar ends and don't intend to. Over the years other riders may roll their eyes or snicker but once we start rolling and they understand that not everyone who employs bar ends is a homeless loser.

So I salute your bar end equipped Yeti. It looks like it's in great condition -- love the 3DV, too.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I like it a lot. I recall when the Yeti Ultimate came on the scene -- I wanted one SO badly. Didn't get one, tho.

However I did get bar ends. Way back then. And I still employ them on every mountain bike I've owned throughout the years. I never quit using bar ends and don't intend to. Over the years other riders may roll their eyes or snicker but once we start rolling and they understand that not everyone who employs bar ends is a homeless loser.

So I salute your bar end equipped Yeti. It looks like it's in great condition -- love the 3DV, too.
    =sParty
    Ha, so true on bar ends.

show up to a ride with them, the gang is no longer riding with you,
    they are riding against the bars ends LOL
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    Ha, so true on bar ends.

show up to a ride with them, the gang is no longer riding with you,
    they are riding against the bars ends LOL
    True LOL! Fanny packs went on the outs around the same time bar ends disappeared, although these seem to be making a bit of a resurgence. These days they're called hip packs or waist packs.

Sorry for the thread derail, Yeti_Mark. Please get it back on track by telling us some more about your bike. How & when you came to own it, what you love about it, etc. Thanks for the stroll down Memory Lane!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I rode my classic bike yesterday. Hate it!!! Do you own a new bike or just reminiscing?

EAT MORE GRIME
    That is a great old bike.

I did have an aluminum ARC once [but not an ultimate elevated]
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I do not have a new bike and I haven't ridden a bike for years. I was playing soccer competitively for 15 years, but a recent knee injury has me back on the bike.

This 1990 beauty has Bullseye hubs, Campagnolo cranks and rebuilding the Manitou 1 with the suspensionforkparts.net was much easier than I thought it would be. Getting all of the melted elastomer with solvent was the only hard part. I had a disc brake bike and I get it, but something about hauling up Kennedy and down Dogmeat on this is awesome. Only bummer is the shifting is not quite there. Any good 7 speed non-cassette freewheel recommendations? I would love to find this in a 12-30.

Interloc Racing Design Classica 7 Speed Freewheel

Mark

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    True LOL! Fanny packs went on the outs around the same time bar ends disappeared, although these seem to be making a bit of a resurgence. These days they're called hip packs or waist packs.
    If you knew what the Brits are referring to when using the word "fanny", you'd change the name too....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Beautiful Yeti!

You wouldn't think that 3DV would work with yellow, but there you go!

These days the waist pack is an "Enduro waist pack" and it holds enough water to do 2 loops at the trail park because, well, that's riding these days.

As well as the sweet Yeti, the backdrop to the photo is something I like. A bike being taken out for a long ride that has a start, an end, and a journey - and not just park at the trail head, ride some berms, adjust suspension by 1.36 psi then adjust damping and then tyre pressures by 2.3 psi, then ride a few more berms before upgrading the fork because "it's still just not right".

As for bar ends - I gave them up when risers bars became the norm because the sweep stuck the bar ends out like cattle horns.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Gentleman (and ladies) this is VRC. Who is making fun of bar ends? 22" bars with 3 degree sweep! These are real Hyperlites. You need bar ends!!

Just to upset everyone. Went up SA23. I did power poles! I went to Dogmeat and descended. Down to the dam and up Saint Joes! Definitely no tire pressure checking.

OK....is there a better 7 spd freewheel? Come on, VRC! You're my only hope!

Mark

Team Brooklyn
    That is a beautiful Yeti Ultimate and is even in my favorite color!
    Congratulations and good luck with it.
    Yes to bar ends and narrow bars - I still use them on every one of my vintage bikes (and yes, wear a fanny pack with tools, tube, dollar bill and patch kit).

Suntour PowerFlo freewheels worked well (as I recall) with either Shimano or Suntour thumbshifters as did Shimano Hyperglide but the range on both was limited 13-28 or 14-28, maybe 30.

Although I have a modern S-Works FSR carbon (26"er) and RC900WC 29er, 95% of my riding is on my vintage bikes (mid-80s through early 90s).
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Mark View Post
    Just to upset everyone. Went up SA23. I did power poles! I went to Dogmeat and descended. Down to the dam and up Saint Joes! Definitely no tire pressure checking.
    Doesn't upset me! That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, riding up and down and covering some miles.

These days an "epic ride" is one with berms and jumps. People get fixed about pressures and damping and they spend 3 hours adjusting everything just right for a 30 minute ride. I think it's a crock but it does flood the market with second hand gear that has had little use (not that any of it is compatible with vintage bikes).

You're not like that so you're righteous, brother!