My 1990 Univega Alpina Team- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

My 1990 Univega Alpina Team

You guys assisted my search for a classic rigid bike and this is what I ended up with. Full XT push push. I have no skills and have been riding it with the original tires on some local single track and rutted dirt roads. It is an awesome bike. I got a sweet deal ($70/pr) on some folding Continental 2.2 Cross Kings that will arrive shortly and then I can push it a little harder. I'll be asking about VRC compliant "upgrades" but for now, I put on a Turbo, the tires are coming, and I added the Ourys which replaced some foam things.
    My 1990 Univega Alpina Team-img_4346.jpgMy 1990 Univega Alpina Team-img_4394.jpgMy 1990 Univega Alpina Team-img_4349.jpgMy 1990 Univega Alpina Team-img_4347.jpg
    From Roadie to Leadville MTBer in 16 Months?

artistic...
    You could look for a merlin titanium hbar. It would help mitigate the pounding from the rigid fork. Also, xt thumbies are much nicer than those push push shifters.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Cycologist
    My first mountain bike was a 1994 Univega Alpina (5.5?) that I bought new.

Have fun!
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    You could look for a merlin titanium hbar. It would help mitigate the pounding from the rigid fork. Also, xt thumbies are much nicer than those push push shifters.
    I've got some XT Thumbies. What about the push push XT is undesirable? I'm curious. I'll keep an eye out for that fork. But for now, 50mm+tires are pretty plush.
    From Roadie to Leadville MTBer in 16 Months?

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASSTIMESAILER View Post
    I've got some XT Thumbies. What about the push push XT is undesirable? I'm curious. I'll keep an eye out for that fork. But for now, 50mm+tires are pretty plush.
    If you like the push push keep it but I find thumbies a pleasure to operate. And lighter I believe. You would have to find brake levers.... not hard to find shimano slr levers but you could even go w/ lighter stuff. The weight saving game was big in the late 80s early 90s.

Itīs the merlin titanium handlebar, not the fork. Not so easy to find though. I love titanium bars.... best aplication for titanium is a straight bar.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.