Mountain Bike Action: Time for a new bike- Mtbr.com
    mountaingoatcycles.com

Mountain Bike Action: Time for a new bike

From the article in MBA: You know it is time to buy a new bike when:

#4) The guy who hand built your hardtail was inducted into the MBHOF before your father bought a dual suspension bike and passed it on to you.

-picture of a P bike and "Tom Ritchey made your bike"

#26) Its sister is on display at First Flight Bikes

#36) You are searching for a one-inch threaded headset or replacement fork.

Plus 47 more reasons!

artistic...
    MBA always finding ways to outcrap themselves.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Old School
    I agree...quill stems, 1" headsets, rigid forks,...come on and dump that CRAP (cheap)! And get on a "real" bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    some of those were mildly amusing.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight
    From the article in MBA: You know it is time to buy a new bike when:

#4) The guy who hand built your hardtail was inducted into the MBHOF before your father bought a dual suspension bike and passed it on to you.

-picture of a P bike and "Tom Ritchey made your bike"

#26) Its sister is on display at First Flight Bikes

#36) You are searching for a one-inch threaded headset or replacement fork.

Plus 47 more reasons!
    That's funny - those are the criteria I START looking for in new bikes.

MBA never fails to misread their readership - the only riders still buying paper magazines are the ones who've been riding for a long time - and may still have some love for the old days.

VRC Hound
    Can someone post the full list. There is a lot of funny stuff on it.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    MBA was the first MTB magazine that I saw--way back when I was in middle school and Zap was in charge--and it blew my mind. Suspension was still new and unproven, but man were there some cool bikes in there.

MBA doesn't speak to me anymore, but I give it a lot of credit for stoking the fire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb

MBA never fails to misread their readership - the only riders still buying paper magazines are the ones who've been riding for a long time - and may still have some love for the old days.

MBA is not oriented towards the folks that covet the older stuff....I would say they are doing fine .......cant agree more though about paper magazines though....they are on the out unfortunatley.

that is ironic in a way huh?

maybe once MBA sees the writing on the wall they will change the format and make a magazine in an old format about old bikes and the retro grouches that buy all things retro.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Slightly off-topic.

If someone could put up a good scan of the cover with the with the yellow and blue Marin riding through the snow from 1992 (I think) I would be very grateful.
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki
    Slightly off-topic.

If someone could put up a good scan of the cover with the with the yellow and blue Marin riding through the snow from 1992 (I think) I would be very grateful.
    I always thought that was one of their better cover shots.

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by Williwoods
    MBA is not oriented towards the folks that covet the older stuff....I would say they are doing fine .......cant agree more though about paper magazines though....they are on the out unfortunatley.
    I dunno about that. I recall hearing or reading(can't remember which) that there are now more magazines started per year than go under. Take a look at cycling(in general here, not mtb specific):
    COG
    XXC
    Embrocation
    Momentum
    Urban Velo
    Bicycle Times
    They've all begun printing in the past few years, and from what I understand, have had some success at doing it.

I go to the 'net for quick bits of information. That's it. I hate reading and reading on the screen. If I want an article, I'll find a couch, a cuppajoe, a magazine and get comfy.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Riding next to the Hanebrink bike

Slightly off-topic.

I've got that one at home, the chick riding it has purple stonewashed lycra tights. I don't have a scanner though, I'll see what I can get though

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    That would be cool - I think maybe there was a winter photography gallery in that issue - could be imagining it though, I threw my MBA collection out in 2000
    Last edited by mechagouki; 01-04-2010 at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member

You know it is time to buy a new bike when:

You just can't find the motivation to ride your one year old hunk of junk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    I dunno about that. I recall hearing or reading(can't remember which) that there are now more magazines started per year than go under. Take a look at cycling(in general here, not mtb specific):
    COG
    XXC
    Embrocation
    Momentum
    Urban Velo
    Bicycle Times
    They've all begun printing in the past few years, and from what I understand, have had some success at doing it.

I go to the 'net for quick bits of information. That's it. I hate reading and reading on the screen. If I want an article, I'll find a couch, a cuppajoe, a magazine and get comfy.
    ok I take it back on the magazines being on the way out but the rest of my statement stands.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Here's what I've got

Slightly off-topic.

I didn't remember it exactly correct, just the bike on the cover. The Marin appears 4 times I've found so far:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Bike Action: Time for a new bike-2008irs2-002.jpg  

Mountain Bike Action: Time for a new bike-2008irs2-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Next two

Still can't find the other I mentioned but:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Bike Action: Time for a new bike-2008irs2-005.jpg  

Mountain Bike Action: Time for a new bike-2008irs2-004.jpg  

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    That's great - Iguess it was a bike on long term loan to MBA - think it may have appeared in another issue too. Great pictures, feeling the nostalgia.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Picked up my 1st issue of Mountain Bling Actors in early '03; it hyped me, since I didn't know much about the off-road world at the time. Had a couple subs off and on over the years, but I'm done with them. Content has been getting thin over the last 2-3....

Keep the old issues around, just for 'throne reading'. Same with the old Bisuckling.

I surf around to keep up with what's out there, but mostly to see what I CAN'T get anymore; o how I moan at the dis-continuance of the Dakar XLT, the Homegrown, and the Horst-linked Turner RFX.

mtbr member
    I saw that too, what $hit...just like 29er and SS, it's all just the bike companies trying to spur sales. I'm sure someone has probably said this (but hey, I don't have time to read all the long winded drivel on this list, whining about Specialized and slugs) but the upside to the article is that spares will be cheap on CL when the suckers believe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    the bit in the article that i found hilarious was the bit that shows a World Class square taper bottom bracket and states that if you have one of these and it is not in a showcase then you need a new bike....

I just had one installed on my 94 Raleigh Tomac Design series... guess i need a new bike!!!!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight
    I always thought that was one of their better cover shots.
    Too bad they re-used film from that photo shoot in FIVE different winter biking articles spread over oh... 16 years of magazines.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

No known cure
    I don't read MBA anymore, but I thumbed through the latest issue at the market to check out the list. After looking at this year's offerings, I think 2010 is the year of the ugly bike.

The first MBA I picked up had a rigid fork "shootout."
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Too bad they re-used film from that photo shoot in FIVE different winter biking articles spread over oh... 16 years of magazines.
    And then probably drag them back out for a "looking back" article

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I found the article amusing, especially now that I am riding my 1998 Catamount again after a makeover. My Cat would fail their list.

MBA generally pushes the latest and the greatest, although they did mock the 29er products at first surprisingly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Williwoods
    MBA is not oriented towards the folks that covet the older stuff....I would say they are doing fine .......
    Indeed they are about the latest and the greatest. Whenever I feel the need to see current/new bike trends, I check it out.

Members who have read this thread: 0