Moots Mountaineer Rebuild- Mtbr.com
    mkozaczek

Moots Mountaineer Rebuild

I came across this bike a couple weeks ago and thought it would make an interesting addition to the collection. So, after some consultation I picked it up and it arrived late last week... I was planning on a quick overhaul and was hoping to get it out on the trail today.

Not so fast junior... Seems the bike has seen much neglect over the past decade. Story goes the current owner took the bike in payment for some contractor work he did back in the late 90s or something. He didn't know much about the bike, but at least he kept the original fork after putting on a Mag-20. Can't say the same thing for the front whee though, the original Mavic was replaced with a modern day XT. Although the bike had a fairly eclectic and top of the line build back in the day, Cook Bros cranks and BB, XC-PRO, WTB RC rear brake, CK headset and on the years of neglect took their tool.

1. Post jammed all the way into the frame, would not budge.
    2. BB bearings toast, cups frozen to frame
    3. Original front WTB missing? maybe never there
    4. Already mentioned the wrong front wheel
    5. Derailleurs rusty

After two days of PB blast treatment the post finally surrendered. One down... I thought I had a stroke of luck with the front wheel as I happen to have one laced to a Mavic 217 and a spare 231CD rim, but the rim is 32 and hub 28, so not an ideal match. But I happened to have a decent set of XC-PRO wheels and the mavic rear was pretty beat up so that seems like a good swap.

Otherwise the bike is coming along, with any luck I'll break the BB lose and can complete it and take it out for a spin this week.

I still need to find a step down ferrule for the stem, the original one is missing but I think I found a suitable replacement in a Dia Compe 92. Anyone know?

Here are the WAS pics. IS pics coming up when I finish rebuilding it. Aside from the wheels and standard flat bars (PO had some modern riser bars) I'm keeping the bike all stock

mtbr member
    Cool find! I look forward to seeing trail shots!!

Damnit Martin, stay on your own CL!

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    What a great looking bike!

Real nice!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post

Mike he must not have known that you "owned" it
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mkozaczek
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    LOL, It was up for over a week before I even found it. Gotta move fast

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Quote Originally Posted by stan lee View Post
    Cool find! I look forward to seeing trail shots!!

I wouldn't hold your breath for trail shots....maybe a nice classified ad though

Steve
    Last edited by eastcoaststeve; 03-04-2012 at 01:00 PM.

mkozaczek
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath for trail shots....many a nice classified ad though

Steve
    Hi Steve.

mtbr member
    Awesome find! We don't see many of those here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkozaczek View Post
    LOL, It was up for over a week before I even found it. Gotta move fast
    Mike must have been out putting in some runs or k's on the trails.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126 View Post
    Mike he must not have known that you "owned" it
    CL territory encroachment is a well known thing.

Looks good MK. Hope you can get it back up and running without too many hang ups.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    so this Moots has the rear mounted rollercams on the seatstays instead of the chainstays. Does this in anyway affect the performance of feel of the brakes? When mounted under the chainstays the force of the brake pads against the wheels would draw the brakes into the rotating wheel, but when on the seatstay I imagine that the brakes would have a tendency to be pushed away from the rim. Any thoughts?

mkozaczek
    It's getting there... As I expected the BB cups are frozen in there. I wrestled with it all morning, but decided to seek professional help. One good thing that came out of that whole sordid affair is that I have a spare set of CBR cups and the spindle that came with the bike is Ti. So as soon as the old cups come out and the replacement bearings come in I should be able to put it back together with nice new black cups. I found a much nicer XC-PRO front derailleur, so I replaced the old rusty one, the rear is original since it was in nice shape. Dia-Compe 986 front cantis with decent vintage SS-5 levers round out the stopping portion. All new cables and housing of course and it's slowly coming together.

The seat tube has been treated with JP Wiegle frame saver, after a half hour of intensive cleaning. Overall the frame is in pretty good shape, it's got some decent chain suck, and the non-drive seat stay has a bunch of scratches, but it's cool.

Otherwise it's mostly sorted, I found a decent step down ferrule to run the front brakes through the stem. All that remains is fix the BB, run the front brakes, regrease the XC-PRO pedals (I think I saw a post by GOB about nice grease guns), tune it up and check it out.

On to the pics...

Visitor
    good one!

gobsmacked Moderator
    I wouldn't hold your breath for trail shots....maybe a nice classified ad though

Steve
    with or without the rear brakes? that is moooooney. Great pick up! Hope you keep this one!

mkozaczek
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    with or without the rear brakes? that is moooooney. Great pick up! Hope you keep this one!
    Lucky on the rear brakes... I may have a line on some WTB cantis for the front.

I definitely plan on giving the Mootise a solid shakedown to see if I like it. I'm still trying to figure out what bikes I really like and which ones I only like for what they are (the idea of them). It's not like you can just go an check them out at a LBS, so sometimes a calculated risk is the only way to check them out. So far I like the way this bike is shaping up and I'm looking forward to seeing how it rides.

I've been getting out and riding the Adroit over the past couple weeks, so assuming I can keep that momentum going it's just a matter of what bike suits me and keeps me riding. I got hung up on the ARC (no steerer for the M2), on the Ultimate (need to build some new wheels) the Hard Core is still with Bill and the Yo with Russ.

Suspension? We don't....
    Wow! Beautiful! I assembled one with similar lugs for a shop around '90 or so. Been looking ever since. This the first time I've seen one since then.
    I hadn't remembered those brake mounts. Do they switch from canti to U?

VRC Illuminati
    Put a good ole' Turbo saddle on there! (Maybe drop the stem a bit).

Otherwise its shaping up great! Always such neat details on those steel Moots bikes. Doesn't look like a haul ass race bike...but rather one you can just get out and pedal all day long.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loey View Post
    Wow! Beautiful! I assembled one with similar lugs for a shop around '90 or so. Been looking ever since. This the first time I've seen one since then.
    I hadn't remembered those brake mounts. Do they switch from canti to U?
    In one of the photos it looks to me like some sort of adapter is being used to convert canti mounts to U-brake mounts?

Suspension? We don't....
    Quote Originally Posted by classen View Post
    In one of the photos it looks to me like some sort of adapter is being used to convert canti mounts to U-brake mounts?
    Looks to me like the same arrangement front and rear

mtbr member
    Looks to me like the same arrangement front and rear
    Maybe if you flip the little black thing one way it's a canti mount and flipped the other way it's a U-brake mount?

mkozaczek
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Put a good ole' Turbo saddle on there! (Maybe drop the stem a bit).

Otherwise its shaping up great! Always such neat details on those steel Moots bikes. Doesn't look like a haul ass race bike...but rather one you can just get out and pedal all day long.
    Oh yeah, that seat blows goats for quarters. I grabbed the first one I could get my hands on to get some leverage when trying to remove the seat post.

I have a nice black, suede seat to go on there. Very comfy and erklenomical!

Suspension? We don't....
    Looking closer, I think the brake posts are attached to metal disks which are bolted to the frame/fork at positions centered between where canti and u brake posts go. Maybe you just have to rotate them to change position.
    Notice the pivot axis of the cantilever is attached to the lower part of the mount thingie and the pivot axis of the roller cam attached to the upper part?
    Extremely cool!

mkozaczek
    Looking closer, I think the brake posts are attached to metal disks which are bolted to the frame/fork at positions centered between where canti and u brake posts go. Maybe you just have to rotate them to change position.
    Notice the pivot axis of the cantilever is attached to the lower part of the mount thingie and the pivot axis of the roller cam attached to the upper part?
    Extremely cool!
    They're called Moots mounts. The idea is that you can run almost any brake and any wheel setup. So to run cantis you just rotate the mount 90 degrees and add the little canti boss with the spring mount and then put the canti on that. Or if you want to run a U-brake or RC, you just remove that little bit and off you go.

you can also flip them around and run a 700c wheel...

Suspension? We don't....
    They're called Moots mounts. The idea is that you can run almost any brake and any wheel setup. So to run cantis you just rotate the mount 90 degrees and add the little canti boss with the spring mount and then put the canti on that. Or if you want to run a U-brake or RC, you just remove that little bit and off you go.

you can also flip them around and run a 700c wheel...
    I remember Moot mounts with metal bands that tightened around the stay or blade. Yours look like they might be welded on.

mkozaczek
    I remember Moot mounts with metal bands that tightened around the stay or blade. Yours look like they might be welded on.
    They are bolted in. there is a metal plate that covers the plastic molded, resin piece. the brake boss (if you want to call it that) is bolted in from the back with a CS screw. The metal plate bolts to the frame with another CS screw.

Stokeless Asshat
    Some close ups. The brake stud is not standard nor are they placed in the standard locations. On mine you'd be hard pressed to get it to adjust to 700c. Kent said it was built for 26" and 650b.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moots Mountaineer Rebuild-moots-stripped-022.jpg  

Moots Mountaineer Rebuild-moots-mounts-004.jpg  

Moots Mountaineer Rebuild-moots-mounts-005.jpg  

Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, that seat blows goats for quarters.
    I just about blew coffee through my nose! I haven't heard that expression in 100 years!

Great bike, great details. Kent should be proud!

Jesus Jeff, you almost gave me a heart attack with your photo...I didn't look to see who posted it and thought Martin stripped the paint from the blue moots

Steve

mkozaczek
    Jesus Jeff, you almost gave me a heart attack with your photo...I didn't look to see who posted it and thought Martin stripped the paint from the blue moots

Steve
    You better check your blood pressure Steve... I'd hate to give you a heart attack or something.

You better check your blood pressure Steve... I'd hate to give you a heart attack or something.

very considerate of you Martin

Steve

Stokeless Asshat

Steve
    LOL...Breath.........
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    What about that big ugly spot on the chainstay ? Sacreligious to do something there ? I'd have a hard time leaving that alone. Just that spot though.

gobsmacked Moderator
    FB's good at those kinds of spots. Take care of the rust and some touch up paint! I always tell myself I'd do those things and then I forget.

mkozaczek
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    What about that big ugly spot on the chainstay ? Sacreligious to do something there ? I'd have a hard time leaving that alone. Just that spot though.
    If nothing else, I'll clean it up, apply rust inhibitor and clear coat it, maybe find some light blue paint.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Did I lose track of whose bike this is. haha. Well, you should repaint the whole thing.

Members who have read this thread: 1