Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mid to late 90's Trek 9xx series (930,950,970,990).............

208K views 411 replies 126 participants last post by  Pdxbmw 
#1 ·
Why don't they have a cool factor to them? I mean they are good ol' American made True Temper steel frames right? They offer a great ride, hard to kill, and spec'd nicely for their time. Is it more or less because they come from a large manufacturer and not a boutique builder? I mean I know the welds look like crap but I can't see them when I ride so that doesn't bother me.

I don't see a lot of them pop up here either restored or modernized so I was just curious.

Any thoughts?

#140 ·
Glad I got bored this winter & put this together. Next new ride will definitely be steel. Forgot what a good feel steel has after riding alum the past 10 yrs.

Would anyone know what kind of surly fork this is, looking for something compatible with a trek 990. I found a used one here.

I found a surly instigator fork on craigslist with specs:

* Straight bladed CroMoly TIG-welded tubing
* ISO disc tab and removable canti pivots
* 26" wheel size, suspension-corrected for 100mm travel
* Fork Rake: 43 mm
* Steerer Tube Length: 210 mm / 8 1/4"
* Brake Type: Disc,Linear Pull - Canti
* Wheel Size: 26"
* Disc Mount Type: 51mm I.S. Front
* Weight: 1420 g
* Steerer Tube: 1-1/8" Threadless
* Axle to Crown Length is 447mm

Would this bolt on a trek 990 19.5"? :)

#117 ·
1993 Trek 930

I just scored this off craigslist .. It sat un-used and until I finished overhauling her and taking het out on a maiden voyage, un-loved as well.
I totally get the idea that the Trek 900 series steel bikes are mass produced and don't hold that mystique that other steelies from this era do..but daannng! I am in love with steel all over again!

I am glad some of us a showing some love for these under appreciated steel bikes.
I have been looking for one of these for a while now and I scored this puppy for a whopping
$65 I replaced all the cables and shifters. I had the tires lying about so.. not including my labor, this bike cost me just over $100!! To ride one of these early 90s steel Treks, is truly to love one!

#131 ·
I just scored this off craigslist .. It sat un-used and until I finished overhauling her and taking het out on a maiden voyage, un-loved as well.
I totally get the idea that the Trek 900 series steel bikes are mass produced and don't hold that mystique that other steelies from this era do..but daannng! I am in love with steel all over again!

I am glad some of us a showing some love for these under appreciated steel bikes.
I have been looking for one of these for a while now and I scored this puppy for a whopping
$65 I replaced all the cables and shifters. I had the tires lying about so.. not including my labor, this bike cost me just over $100!! To ride one of these early 90s steel Treks, is truly to love one!
Would you mind giving me the fork a-c length on your 93 .

#120 ·
1994 Trek 930SHX. Upgraded in 2010.

I bought this bike in college while working part time @ minimum wage. It was more than I could realistically afford at the time and it treated me well for a long long time. Last year I gave it a full refresh - everything other than the frame was replaced. It's still one sweet ride.

Attachments

#121 ·
Is that an 80mm Fox? How does it handle with the taller shock?

linger said:
1994 Trek 930SHX. Upgraded in 2010.

I bought this bike in college while working part time @ minimum wage. It was more than I could realistically afford at the time and it treated me well for a long long time. Last year I gave it a full refresh - everything other than the frame was replaced. It's still one sweet ride.

#123 ·
1990 950. My first mountain bike. It was repainted by Trek in 91 (I think) after I broke a brake boss. The steerer extension was a quick/cheap fix that is kind of hideous, but vastly improves the old school geometry. Mostly just a grocery go getter, but had a great ride with it on Saturday while my new bike is still being built.

Attachments

#124 ·
I've got to get some more pics of my old 990. I finally got the heinous suspension fork off of it and the original Tange Big Fork back on, also put the old XC Pro drivetrain back on it. Need to reconnect the cables and get it back out on the trail.

#126 ·
I'm sticking this here because it's virtually an orphan everywhere else. Same spec as a lot of the 9xx range. Probably same factory. I'd like to hear what you guys know about it.

Specs: http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/...rand=Gary+Fisher&Model=X-Caliber+RX&Type=bike

Yep.. jigged and tig'd in Wisconsin.. looks to be a 1996..first year for the Trek / GF marriage.
That is one heck of a nimble WI singletrack machine! I had a '96 Aquila back in the day that a friend of mine still owns. The seat post has since seized in the frame, but I am working on getting that puppy back from him as I type this. Love those mid 90's steel Fishers and Treks. If you ever want to sell her..PM me.:thumbsup:

#128 ·
#134 ·
Lord, I miss my old 95 930shx, broke the crown on the Indy C in 03 in Moab, went to a shop, the guy looks at it for a minute, goes in back and rummages through some boxes, pulls out another Indy C and $10 later I'm pedaling down the road. Sold it at a bike swap in 04 for $150, the $150 is long gone but I am sure that bike is still ripping it up somewhere.

Now that rigid 94 Schwinn Clear Creek, that's whole nother story...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.