Marzocchi bolt on Steerer tube replacement help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Marzocchi bolt on Steerer tube replacement help

I've got a 1996 Marz z2 coming my way with a 1" threaded bolt on steerer, just over 6".

I need to replace it with a 7.5+" 1" threadless steerer.

Has anyone had any luck finding replacements for these or using RST 1" replacement steerers which are cheap and easy to come by?

Thanks!!

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marzocchi bolt on Steerer tube replacement help-marzz2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had the same fork and sold it on ebay about a year ago or so. The guy that bought it basically bought it because I had the 1" steerer tube with it and he noted that they were really hard to find. This is only one data point from a limited source so take that as you will.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The RST works no problem.

mtbr member
    I obtained a couple from Marzocchi directly 2-3 years ago. 1" unthreaded and 1" threaded. Don't know if they still provide this service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just talked with Marzocchi and they didn't have any 1" steerers in stock. I ordered an RST replacement and I'll let you know how it fits. Can't go wrong for $20 shipped.

Per forum rules I'm not sure if I can post where I purchased the steerer from but if you google search for "RST 1" steerer 265mm" youi'll find it.
    Last edited by eshew; 02-13-2013 at 09:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    I just talked with Marzocchi and they didn't have any 1" steerers in stock. I ordered an RST replacement and I'll let you know how it fits. Can't go wrong for $20 shipped.
    Who did you order it from? Link to the page if you can , Thx!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Who did you order it from? Link to the page if you can , Thx!
    bikeman.com has them for 19 bucks plus shipping...

mtbr member
    I've used a RST one as well. I forget if they come with the shim, but that should be re-usable from the old one anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just recieved the RST steerer today. The one I recieved came with a shim. I'm happy to say it does fit just fine. Took some time with a rubber mallet to get it seated properly but it's a great solution and cheap!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    so to rehash an old thread....can you go from a 1 1/8 steerer tube to a 1 inch steerer this same way? using a larger shim?

Mtn Biker Machinist
    That is what the shim is for. The crowns were made for 1 1/8" steerers. Using a shim, a 1 1/8" can be swapped for a 1". If you don't have the shim, it comes with the RST steerer found here:

Rst Steerer

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    ahh, right. thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    piggyback old thread....

i have an early 90's marzocchi xc-50. for the longest i've waited on getting a 1" replacement steerer to swap out the original 1 1/8 until i had a frame i wanted to go with. now that i have a frame coming soon, i can't seem to find a 1" steerer anywhere. i didn't count on the availability dying off as it seems to have.

so, does anyone know of a source for these (rst or otherwise) that's easy enough to acquire?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For whatever reason RST doesn't sell steerer tubes in the states anymore. I assume it's for liability reasons.

Still available over the pond, https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bi...-steerer-tube/
    83 Ritchey Everest
    88 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i tried the holland shop about a week ago. sent an email to see if they'd sell to me in the US and haven't heard back. no way to call, either, since it's a euro number. i keep digging around for options, though. thanks for replying!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    there is pace cycles out of the UK, but they want $50 before shipping for a steerer. nope...hehe

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    just a bump....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For all things Marzocchi: https://www.mtbforksbymark.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    thanks so much for the link. nothing apparent on the page, so i emailed them!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thook View Post
    thanks so much for the link. nothing apparent on the page, so i emailed them!
    His website is useless really, he does reply to email though. Also seems to answer the actual phone pretty fast if you call him on west coast time.

I have a couple 1" steerers left if he doesn't have any. PM me if you need one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wesMAmyke View Post
    His website is useless really, he does reply to email though. Also seems to answer the actual phone pretty fast if you call him on west coast time.

I have a couple 1" steerers left if he doesn't have any. PM me if you need one.
    he emailed back promptly. unfortunately, he's asking more than i was looking to spend on a steer tube...though he does have a number of them

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thook View Post
    he emailed back promptly. unfortunately, he's asking more than i was looking to spend on a steer tube...though he does have a number of them
    So...... for future reference, what does he charge for a 1" steer tube?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    thanks, bud. but, they're out of europe and after having tried twice to contact them, best i can tell they don't sell to the usa

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try putting it in your cart. They do sell to the us. I think shipping is about 20 Euros.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Unapomer View Post
    So...... for future reference, what does he charge for a 1" steer tube?
    $25 for threadless and $30 for threaded....before shipping. i'm sure that's reasonable, i just didn't want to pay that much. i mean $15 for an rst unit that's likely just as good was more in my current budget. trying to spread the green joy around to several bikes, atm

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Try putting it in your cart. They do sell to the us. I think shipping is about 20 Euros.
    somehow overlooked this reply. thanks!

yeah, the shipping is kind of a deal breaker. iow's, a steer tube from mark is about the same. and, another member has some tubes for the same. i'm nickel and diming, to be honest. but, it's just the way my budget is for now, maybe in a few months i'd be willing to swing $30 for the tube that's not a real priority as it is. it'd be swell if rst still had them usa available for the low price of $15 or so

at any rate, i really appreciate all the replies. the frame i've been hot to have this steer tube wont' be in my possession due to life circumstance on the part of the source individual for maybe another month now, anyway. that gives me some time for other potentials to manifest.... as well as more funds

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

one more question....

could i just get a 1" steer tube from a frame supplier that would otherwise be a brazed in job for a rigid fork and shim it for the marzocchi? those are pretty cheap

Members who have read this thread: 42