Magazine scans: Raleigh Tomac replica- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    404

    Good job! Magazine scans: Raleigh Tomac replica

    Could have put this test to Tomac thread but thought that it might be better this way.






    Enjoy!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Elevation12,000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    676
    Archangel,

    Very nice ....but both the this review and the P-21 have been posted by me overhere before. Before start scanning next time check Retrobike 1st, I have saved most of the stuff there well categorized =>

    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/gal...g2_itemId=2175

    So much easier to copy/paste than spending hours scanning.

  3. #3
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    I'll add to the Tomac Raleigh mag scan thread.





    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  4. #4
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,484
    i would love to throw a leg over that bike.. i don't need to "own" one. i would probably bang those carbon tubes and feel guilty but i would like to ride it and have the benchmark in my brain.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    404

    Doh!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elevation12,000
    Archangel,

    Very nice ....but both the this review and the P-21 have been posted by me overhere before. Before start scanning next time check Retrobike 1st, I have saved most of the stuff there well categorized =>

    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/gal...g2_itemId=2175

    So much easier to copy/paste than spending hours scanning.
    Oh, sorry mate, didn't check those out first... I just stumbled upon these tests and thought they might be nice to scan & post. Too bad I posted these unnecessarily.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Elevation12,000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    676
    No that you posted them is not unnecessarily, because everytime you post many people will spot them for the 1st time and enjoy.

  7. #7
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,484
    one mag says angles are 72/73.5 while the other states 68/71. interesting.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  8. #8
    Illuminati
    Reputation: scant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,725

  9. #9
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,484
    Quote Originally Posted by scant

    he likes the deore xt seatpost over the xtr.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    he likes the deore xt seatpost over the xtr.

    Actually, that was 1991 and XTR still hadnt been released. Throughout the season his parts slowly changed from XT to prototype XTR. I remember everyone being pretty excited to see this XTR stuff. Tomac and maybe a couple others had it at that point.

    The angles arent 68/71. Must have been a typo.

  11. #11
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Actually, that was 1991 and XTR still hadnt been released. Throughout the season his parts slowly changed from XT to prototype XTR. I remember everyone being pretty excited to see this XTR stuff. Tomac and maybe a couple others had it at that point.

    The angles arent 68/71. Must have been a typo.

    I know someone who has a bike just like that one. Identical almost...cept' his has a Tioga Carbo seatpost over the XT.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Danke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    538
    I have a set of those cranks in my junk box, maybe the nicest feeling ones I ever had. They were so solid the bike would just snap to a twitch from the pedals.

    Sadly it would eat BB bearings with annoying regularity. Last one that went also took a cup with it.

    I knew more than a few folks who were trying to duplicate Johnny T's bike. Drop bars, no problem, disc wheel, gotta have it.

  13. #13
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke
    I have a set of those cranks in my junk box, maybe the nicest feeling ones I ever had. They were so solid the bike would just snap to a twitch from the pedals.

    Sadly it would eat BB bearings with annoying regularity. Last one that went also took a cup with it.

    I knew more than a few folks who were trying to duplicate Johnny T's bike. Drop bars, no problem, disc wheel, gotta have it.

    I assume you mean the Tioga Revolvers? Bearings shouldn't be hard to replace for them.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Danke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    538
    I'm talking a bearing lifespan of weeks.The setup was so stiff the bearings would be squashed like toothpaste. The bearings were easy to get, but the stranded because the crank was on holiday got old. The last time one went by the time I'd got myself out of the trail the cup had also expired in sympathy. At that point I hung them up and when to a less spectacular but more reliable Sugino/Shimano setup.

  15. #15
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,652
    Figure I'll add one more to this thread:

    I have scans of MBA articles on their test of Overend's Epic Ultimate (3/91)and the prototype Yeti C-26 (6/89). If these haven't been posted already I'm happy to do so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magazine scans: Raleigh Tomac replica-raleigh-tomac-proto-1.jpg  

    Last edited by CCMDoc; 10-05-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  16. #16
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,484
    MBA's spy camera are the left overs from ODI Attack photo shoot. Nice journalism.

  17. #17
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    MBA's spy camera are the left overs from ODI Attack photo shoot. Nice journalism.


    Or maybe hey needed some cash and sold the photo and ad space under the article to ODI.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  18. #18
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,484
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post


    Or maybe hey needed some cash and sold the photo and ad space under the article to ODI.
    I will stick by my story. The jury will find it more plausible.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.