Love the FS!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Love the FS!

mtbr member

Love the FS!

So I am begining to think my addiction is for the FS mountain bikes. I now have 3 and keep looking. '94 Pro Flex 754, '00 Schwinn Rocket 88 and a mix of 00- 01 Schwinn Rocket 88. Just something about the FS I love. Don't get me wrong the old steel/chromo rigid MTB's are great, and I am currently building one... I just can't get enough of the suspension models! :thumb:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    So I am begining to think my addiction is for the FS mountain bikes. I now have 3 and keep looking. '94 Pro Flex 754, '00 Schwinn Rocket 88 and a mix of 00- 01 Schwinn Rocket 88. Just something about the FS I love. Don't get me wrong the old steel/chromo rigid MTB's are great, and I am currently building one... I just can't get enough of the suspension models! :thumb:

If you love em now, just wait til you ride a good full sus!!!
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE

Bird watcher
    "You dick! "

Quote Originally Posted by jeff spicoli
    If you love em now, just wait til you ride a good full sus!!!

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ckevlar
    "You dick! "
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

VRC Illuminati
    He's right though.

If you like full suspension...there's no beating a modern suspension bike. Riding antiquated suspension bikes really doesn't make a lot of sense.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Is my 01 Stinky Primo with a 01 Z1 BAM up front antiquated? Just wondering if I am missing out on something cool? No doubt it is a heavy tanker for only 5" and 5" but oh so plush to me. l am too busy spending money on old bikes to save up for a newer full suspension ride. The only other full suspension ride I have spent time on was a 98 King Kikapu which I thought was comfy and light too (too light, I broke the frame). It's going to be interesting seeing these full suspension bikes change from the ugh zone of too new to be old and too old to be new into being desireable again. Alot of one off suspension parts won't be so easily replaced when wore out from good use.

Merry Holiday,
    T
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

illuminaughty
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    He's right though.

If you like full suspension...there's no beating a modern suspension bike. Riding antiquated suspension bikes really doesn't make a lot of sense.
    agreed that the newer squishys are better but " Riding antiquated suspension bikes really doesn't make a lot of sense" is like saying riding klunkers doesn't make sense. Pretty broad, closed minded statement.
    :)

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV
    agreed that the newer squishys are better but " Riding antiquated suspension bikes really doesn't make a lot of sense" is like saying riding klunkers doesn't make sense. Pretty broad, closed minded statement.

I guess I'm looking mostly at the ProFlex...

The Schwinn's are probably pretty ok. But even still...suspension has come a long way in 10 years. The enjoyment and how aggressively you can attack a trail on a much newer fully is significant I think. And I'm talking about a real mans trail. Not that bike path stuff you putz along on.

That said...riding klunkers doesn't make sense to me either.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    I have ridden newer ones, yes they are nice. To each their own I guess, I thought posting in the "Vintage, Retro Classic" section would have shown I like the older ones. Oh well.

If someone wants to give about $5,500 - $6,500 I will also go get a new one I have my eyes on.

mtbr member
    To each his own - the Rocket 88 should be a nice ride, even by today's standards, at least among shorter-travel FS bikes. I'm a fan of those. Pro-Flex is cool is a retro way, but I confess I've never ridden one.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Never ridden a Rocket 88, but I always thought it a nice looking bike.

For a full-sus.

Compared to most of its contemporaries.
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

Bird watcher
    So in that frame of thought, let me know when your collection of "antiquated" non suspension bikes go up for sale. I'm sure i could find a part or two that I could use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    He's right though.

Members who have read this thread: 0