Looking for a clue how much I should sell my Klein for?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

New question here. Looking for a clue how much I should sell my Klein for?

So long story but my son inherited this bike about 15 years ago from my brother and my son never rode it. My brother also barley rode it. It has many after market parts on it I think? Lots of the parts say RaceFace?

It is a Klein Mantra Comp.

I assume I will have to sell it locally as shipping a bike would be expensive? I live in Canada.

I have no clue about any bikes, so a ball park guess would be very much appreciated so I have a starting point?

I can find a few of them on the internet (EBay) but none that look like this, so I don't know if that is a good thing or not?

Thank you for any time you give my post!

Looking for a clue how much I should sell my Klein for?-klioen.jpg Looking for a clue how much I should sell my Klein for?-handlebars.jpgLooking for a clue how much I should sell my Klein for?-front-release.jpg Looking for a clue how much I should sell my Klein for?-pedals2.jpg

Up In Smoke
    That thing belongs in a museum. Cool bike, no idea what the value is though. You could try craigslist and see what kind of offers you get.

Up In Smoke
    Bicycle blue book has it at $322 in excellent condition, from what I've seen on ebay it looks like guys are asking between $400-$1000, but closer to the $400 mark.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    LOL, ya I have no clue. It is "unique"

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Cool I think I will try to sell it locally because if $400 is the value, then it will cost 50% of the purchase price to ship. I live 30 minutes from the Rocky Mountains so maybe there is someone who wants a retro bike

Thanks for your time!

High Plains Luddite
    Neat bike!

I suggest you price it high, because a bike like that is likely to have a very small pool of potential buyers, but the few who want it will probably REALLY want it.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Interesting and thank you. I might have to look into the cost of shipping as EBay would be the best way to show the most people as my local market would be a fraction of potential. Would you say $1,000 CND = $750 US$?

I appreciate any advise I can get on this!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Parting it out will be the most lucrative, but I don't know if you want to spend the time selling it bit by bit.

These are estimations, but if you can sell the whole thing for $700 or so it'd be fair, but might take a while or never happen at all.

Frame $120
    Cranks $120
    Fork $140
    Post $30
    Stem $25
    Headset $75
    Rear Der ?
    Bar $20
    Brakes $20
    Seat $30
    Wheels $250-$350?
    Skewers 80
    Total: 910-1010 subract 13% ebay & paypal fees
    83 Ritchey Everest
    88 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    FWIW - those wheels seem to come in around $400 alone (asking prices).

Those 636 pedals are probably the most durable clipless pedals ever made too, at least IME.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Ya thanks, I'm not into that.. I will post it and take whatever it brings. Thank you for the complete breakdown! Appreciate your time.

EAT MORE GRIME
    original death spinergy wheels

where are u located ? I can make that thing go away for you if I'm close
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Ya I have not seen bikes driving around here with wheels that look like that! Selling as parts might be the most financially beneficial, but I will let someone else do that and benefit

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 30 minutes from the Rocky Mountains, Banff, Lake Louise, 90 minutes away..

EAT MORE GRIME
    oh yeah that is a bit out of my distance range. I'd drive 10 hours each way but that is way past that. that is an awesome bike as it is built (the wheels are dangerous as hell but yours are in puff condition)

I'd hold out for a decent price if it was mine for sale. >800 easy (in my eyes I'd pay more than that)
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    May 2019
    All this information is great and the money is going to my son, since technically it is his, but I am not taking it apart and parting it for him LOL

EAT MORE GRIME
    here is a tip

if/when you do sell it, if the buyer is not aware of the history of spinergy rev-x wheels, stick a note to them 'do not ride with these wheels' and have buyer sign off on that. they are OK and all (I raced a year with a set and had no problems)
    but when they do fail they fail catastrophically

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-wheels-214741

Spinergy Accidents - spinergy wheels

https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...eally-bad.html

they were all recalled and ...well, read them thar links. they do not have enough structure to accommodate one single blade cracking or delaminating, so if one does delaminate at the rim, the whole wheel POOF just sends you to the ground fast

however, yours being (a) rare and (b) puff someone is going to want that wheelset for a pub bike or something, or as wall art from the bygone era of experimental mtb design (what I'd do)

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Maybe I will include that info in the ad in case they are not aware. Thanks for the tip

EAT MORE GRIME
    that is a sweet bike though, back in it's day, everyone would have wanted that bike as you have it built.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's a cool retro bike. It did get some riding considering the baldness of the tires. Maybe put some fire xc pros on it to complete the look. I wouldn't part it out either, but the suggestion is still a reasonable one. I really like the matching orange Mar bomber fork and the orange RF cranks.

Good luck with the sale!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Appreciate everyone's feedback. I will post how it turns out...

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004
    Thatís actually a really cool retro bike! And appears to be in great shape! I had those rims and loved them, but they only lasted about 6 most before breaking. If you lived by me, Iíd easily give you $400.