Longer A2C Fork on Early MTBs (1990-1995)- Mtbr.com
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Longer A2C Fork on Early MTBs (1990-1995)

I've got a 1990 Marin. 385ish a2c original rigid fork.

When I search for pictures of this bike, I see quite a few examples in the 1990-1992 years of these frames with early suspension forks - 400-410 A2C. Including Marin themselves!

Longer A2C Fork on Early MTBs (1990-1995)-marin-bikes-jvanhorn-7781-780x520.jpg

I don't want a suspension fork this bike, but what I do want is more tire clearance - ie the ability to run 26x2.8 tires.

Luckily, the new obsession of hipsters (of which I'm one) for small wheeled bikes has Crust making two suitable forks - the Evasion 65mm offset fork (400m a2c) and the segmented fork (408mm a2c).

Anybody know of any other, cheaper (under $100) forks that'll fit 26x2.8 while being around 400mm a2c?
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

-bustin punks
    I ran a 27.5x 2.3 tire on one of the 26er 410mm a-c Kona/Carver unicrown forks that you can grab for around $90 at bikeman.com

2.8" might be pushing it though - depending on rim width.

No known cure
    Here's the original fork. The stem will be the same matching green. I no longer have mine so I can't check the serial number or A2C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Longer A2C Fork on Early MTBs (1990-1995)-marin001.jpg  

Longer A2C Fork on Early MTBs (1990-1995)-ag-016.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

Bikes in jeans
    Are you switching to threadless? Also aren't these 1" steerer? I don't think there's any way you're going to find a threaded fork that fits 2.8. You might be able to get something to clear a 2.3 - 2.35 on there, but I don't think something threaded that clears more than that exists. Other option would be custom, but that's obviously going to be expensive.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

I think these are 1 1/8th, although my 1" quill stem adapter works fine. I think it's because the outside diameter is 1 1/8th and the internal diameter is 1". Honestly not 100% sure though. Maybe it's just a case of quill adapters being not so particular.

I could easily switch to threadless - I've got spare headset.

-bustin punks
    I have a 1" fork that will fit a 2.8 tire (pretty sure) but it's unthreaded. The axle to crown is also a bit long at 425mm I believe. Carbon legs, alu crown, chromo steerer. Not vintage at all, but would get the job done - and I imagine the wall thickness on the steerer is thick enough to be threaded. It's also disc only - but I think you can find versions of it with canti posts too. Anyway, I could get it to you for under a hundred easily if you think it might work.

In case anyone cares, the Surly Lowside fork is now my main interest.

It's 420mm a2c, which is about comparable to the RS1 and other early suspension forks. It's 1-1/8th straight steerer, as well. I've got an old threadless headset I can use.

It's disc, too.

I'm going to get real crazy and run it with a 275x3 tire, which should lift my front a good deal, another 20mm over my current 26x2.5 tire. That'd be total about 50mm of front end lift. The RS1 had 60mm of travel, but at sag but sat much lower.

Luckily, my intention is not run this setup by itself, but combined with a Xtracycle Freeradical Leap conversion. Usually one of the negative results of such conversion is an overly low BB, so this, combined with another 275x3 in the back should lift the BB to a satisfactory level for off-road adventures.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    In case anyone cares, the Surly Lowside fork is now my main interest.

It's 420mm a2c, which is about comparable to the RS1 and other early suspension forks. It's 1-1/8th straight steerer, as well. I've got an old threadless headset I can use.

It's disc, too.

I'm going to get real crazy and run it with a 275x3 tire, which should lift my front a good deal, another 20mm over my current 26x2.5 tire. That'd be total about 50mm of front end lift. The RS1 had 60mm of travel, but at sag but sat much lower.

Luckily, my intention is not run this setup by itself, but combined with a Xtracycle Freeradical Leap conversion. Usually one of the negative results of such conversion is an overly low BB, so this, combined with another 275x3 in the back should lift the BB to a satisfactory level for off-road adventures.
    You canīt fit a 27.5 x 3in in the back. My advice: buy another frame or ride this under itīs limitations. Find an old surly 1x1 or get a chinese carbon hardtail. Otherwise you will spend a lot of money and say good bye to your bikeīs handling quality.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti View Post
    I have a 1" fork that will fit a 2.8 tire (pretty sure) but it's unthreaded. The axle to crown is also a bit long at 425mm I believe. Carbon legs, alu crown, chromo steerer. Not vintage at all, but would get the job done - and I imagine the wall thickness on the steerer is thick enough to be threaded. It's also disc only - but I think you can find versions of it with canti posts too. Anyway, I could get it to you for under a hundred easily if you think it might work.
    I know the fork you mention.. I am looking for something just like it but w/1 1 /8 steerer and canti posts. I would like a Vicious cycles but they are bit too much $$ for what i have in mind

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Are you switching to threadless? Also aren't these 1" steerer? I don't think there's any way you're going to find a threaded fork that fits 2.8. You might be able to get something to clear a 2.3 - 2.35 on there, but I don't think something threaded that clears more than that exists. Other option would be custom, but that's obviously going to be expensive.
    1 1/8 steerer.

Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    You canīt fit a 27.5 x 3in in the back. My advice: buy another frame or ride this under itīs limitations. Find an old surly 1x1 or get a chinese carbon hardtail. Otherwise you will spend a lot of money and say good bye to your bikeīs handling quality.
    You missed it - I'm doing a cargo bike conversion.

Xtracycle Leap will fit a 275x3 (or fat, or 29+) in the back.

If I were to run 26x2.5 front/rear with the cargo bike conversion, my BB would be low. Running both ends at 275 should rectify that.

I also am very much against the idea of buying a new frame everytime I want a bike to fit a very small niche. I have a personal attachment to this frame, so it's not going anywhere, but I'd feel bad about not using it. This provides me an opportunity to both use the frame and fill the role of a kid hauler. I've talked with a quite Leap owners and none of them have anything bad to say about the conversion kits.

In my case, despite the Leap kit costing me $600, I can have the 275x3 cargo conversion rolling for $800.