A little garage fab (toggle cam content)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A little garage fab (toggle cam content)

Well, as some of you know on this WTB/Trek team bike I have its been missing one of its WTB roller cam arms. After a lot of searching with no luck I decided to see if I could get it to work with a Suntour arm on one side. Well, the only problem was that the rollers were not on the same plane on the two different arms (the WTB sits so much lower), so what to do but make a toggle cam? It needs a bit of fine tuning as of yet but it seems to work fine so far in the garage. Ive left the cranks off just to give me room to work so I cant ride it quite yet. Here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

those are Rollercams...
    I for one,am VERY impressed.Outstanding work!

Jan 2004
    Wow, that is frickin cool! One hell of a save!!

mtbr member

Reasons for this are ??

Can someone please tell me why or how this kind of brake mod is necessary? Assuming a Suntour Rollercam will fit in the intended space, and the actuating cam has room enough to move and do its business (ie: brake the rim), then what advantage or necessity is there? Or is it simply the case here that somone has two brake arms that are different, and wanted to use them both up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deluxe
    Can someone please tell me why or how this kind of brake mod is necessary? Assuming a Suntour Rollercam will fit in the intended space, and the actuating cam has room enough to move and do its business (ie: brake the rim), then what advantage or necessity is there? Or is it simply the case here that somone has two brake arms that are different, and wanted to use them both up?

He was missing the other WTB rollercam arm, and couldn't find another, so viola!

nice work dave, looks fine to me.

if you ever get tired of the old WTB/trek you just let me know! don't you need to make room for another top secret project?

nate

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deluxe
    Well, ya, I could have just put a Suntour set of arms on there, but I actually dont have a pair, I just had two of the same Suntour arms laying around. But I do think its cooler with atleast one WTB arm on there anyway!

I had to dig around for that steel cam too as the WTB cam I had was aluminum and it wouldnt have been as easy to attach that toggle piece to it. I turned it upside down to allow the cable to pull in a more direct line with the bb cable guide. It looks like it might just work well. I think I need to make another bolt to thread into the toggle thingy there as the one now has a bit more play than I'd like.

Edit: Plus toggle cams work so incredibly well, I was dying to try it.
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 10-15-2004 at 10:17 AM.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Nice work! I'm always a fan of custom fabrication to make things work.

Semi-related question:

What advantages does the toggle-cam have over the rollercam? I have never had a chance to use one.

And

Does that mean you have 1 left side arm remaining? I have a lone arm as well but don't know which side it is off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    Nice work! I'm always a fan of custom fabrication to make things work.

Semi-related question:

What advantages does the toggle-cam have over the rollercam? I have never had a chance to use one.

And

Does that mean you have 1 left side arm remaining? I have a lone arm as well but don't know which side it is off the top of my head.
    Yes, I still do have the one left arm, I think I have all the pad hardware for it too. Email me if you need it.

Well, as far as I can tell, it cuts friction slightly with one less roller that the cam is riding on, but I think the main thing is the mechanical difference. The leverage ratio instantly doubles when you eliminate one side of the cam.