Let's talk vintage tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Let's talk vintage tires

When you guys and gals are doing a spot on resto, what do you do for correct tires? NOS or is there someone making repop vintage tires? Because I'm assuming you wouldn't use old used tires.

velocipede technician
    how do you spell assume?
    =============================
    FF has repops
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    "Spot on" would tend to be NOS or nice shape used. There is also these:

Panaracer Timbuk II skin wall tire
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    When possible I use old tires. However, (a) they are often hard to find and expensive when you do find them, and (b) often either too brittle to ride, or too hardened from age to have any traction. So it's not always possible (economically) to use old tires.

There are several repro tires out there. The Timbuk II tires are really nice, the Smoke and Dart have been reissued as well, and a few others can be found with a bit of searching...
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    I've purchased bikes in the past just for the tires and then sold or given the rest away.

DFA
    mtbr member
    The Smoke/Dart reissues are good. Finding 80s tires is a bit harder. Duro bought the moulds for 26x2.125 Tioga Comp IIIs and is reproducing them under their own name.

mtbr member
    finding the large Tri-Cross is almost impossible. I found the 1.5" version in Utah ten years ago now, but it wasn't worth buying the bike for them!

At least Panaracer still makes the Smoke!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Found these 20 something year old Ground Controls a couple of years ago almost new. After admiring them for a while temptation was too great. Had to use them up....
    Yesterdays ride:

Timbuk 2 from First flight are awesome..

Or get what you want new:

I prefer era correct.....
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

VRC Illuminati
    The FFB Timbuk II's I bought have been great. Soft and held up as good as any other new/modern tire on the market.

I took the GCs from the middle of the top pic...and after three spirited rides...

-eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    I took the GCs from the middle of the top pic...and after three spirited rides... *
    *disclaimer: I like to do long skids.

used to be uno-speedo....
    First Flight or you go hunting...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    *disclaimer: I like to do long skids.
    I see a original fat Crossroads in that box, but still no Tri-Cross! Sigh....awesome pic. btw.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    I see a original fat Crossroads in that box, but still no Tri-Cross! Sigh....awesome pic. btw.
    Tri Cross have proven to be very tough to find. I've only found a couple in decent shape in the last decade.

Hunting for the real deal is like elk hunting with a bow for your meat. FFB is like going to the meat dept at your local grocery store.

mtbr member
    Uhhh, the last reply I did for some reason came out wrong. Hit the "quote" button on dirtdrop great photo of old vintage tires, then got girlonbike's post instead.

Apologies to all.

mtbr member
    I don't know if Sky of Velocult is actively trying to offload his NOS tires, but I purchased two sets from him before his move to Portland. Worth a call perhaps?

NOS Timbuk II's and NOS Ritchey Force

No, they weren't cheap either.

Benster

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Tires do grow on trees
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's talk vintage tires-2012-01-31-17.19.59.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Continental Grand Canyons were on my Grove on day 1

mtbr member
    I was looking for fat cruiser tires, and came across these 26x2.2 Halo Twin Rails. They are available in a wide range of colors, the skinwalls mostly are sold in the UK but they can be had in the US as well.

WANTED: Fisher Paragon, blue/green, Ritchey dropouts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey Dirtdrop,I think I spotted at least one Specialized Crossroads tire in the boxes photo. I need a pair! Are those tires in the photo available?

mtbr member
    OK, just pulled the oldies out of the rafters. BTW, count me in for a Crossroads if its for sale, I need it to complete my collection!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's talk vintage tires-vintagetires.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey, I called it on the Crossroads first! I need a pair. If it's just one, than U J can have it for his collection. I'm looking for a set to put on my 1985 Stumpjumper.

gobsmacked Moderator
    This is not a what tire do I need thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    This is not a what tire do I need thread.
    Haha, no, but I wish it was.

Soon, I hope.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ok then, I'll be more than happy to get the tires as a gift.

mtbr member
    I apologize, I was just messing around. I actually don't need it. I finally got off my butt and wanted to show off my Tri-Cross! The dang thing sucked back in '85, but sure looked cool. The thread I liked a while back was talking about sidewall restoration, my two Tri-Cross's aren't able to take much actual riding, otherwise I would have snapped pics of it mounted.

gobsmacked Moderator
    You guys are crackin' me up.

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Back to the original question. I use NOS or at least period correct tires for show and tell purposes, but modern (or at least less valuable old) tires for riding. It depends though, I have a set of the original Timbuk II tires (pink label) on my clunker and they're holding up fine, and I have some less desirable yellow label Specialized tires (Hard Pack I think, not GC's anyway) that I use for riding too.

mtbr member
    So I guess you guys and gals are finding them on old bikes your buying?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie- View Post
    Back to the original question. I use NOS or at least period correct tires for show and tell purposes, but modern (or at least less valuable old) tires for riding. It depends though, I have a set of the original Timbuk II tires (pink label) on my clunker and they're holding up fine, and I have some less desirable yellow label Specialized tires (Hard Pack I think, not GC's anyway) that I use for riding too.
    I waited almost a year for the NOS WCS Z-Maxes I put on my Fat restoration to come up on ebay. I would have been happy with Ground Control S' as well, but after a year... They were about $100 each and came from Italy.

As far as Canadian retail prices go - that means that the person who sold them made about a dollar a year - less inflation - so I had no issue with them price-wise.

There was a guy selling skinwall Speedmaxes on ebay a couple of years ago and I bought two sets for cruising around on at about $25 a tire. I have a set of FF Ritchey Repops as well that I'd probably use were I to actually ride the Fat offroad.

They come up. Patience is good.

Hit The Road Cyclery
    There are some Speedmax tires on Ebay right now (I think it's safe to out something like that, but G.o.B. will delete this if not) and you can find a other skinwall tires on Ebay or Craigslist if you look. Prices are all over the map, but you get what you pay for (usually).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Is there any interest In Tioga Psychos K? I have a bike with Skinwall Pyscho K s on it. I was going to put some Blackwall tires on it to sell the bike.
    Most people think Skinwalls looks strange.

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    I took the GCs from the middle of the top pic...and after three spirited rides...
    Rumpfy ...

Increasing the value of all things VRC by systematically depleting the remaining stores ...

At least he seems to behaving fun in the process
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I decided on panaracer fire xc pros for my kona. Although its hard to find the black on black ones, I had to get the heavier wire rimmed ones.

mtbr member

Sidewall preservatives?

Since this thread is active, it might be a good place to ask a question that's been on my mind: What's a good preservative for skinwall/gumwall/amberwall tires? I think that maybe one time in my entire life have I ever worn the tread off of such a tire before the sidewall dry-rotted out.

So I was initially glad when everything went blackwall, but now I'm feeling nostalgic and vain and wanting the classier appearance of tan sidewalls again. And we're getting the options again, too. In fact, I'm just about to pull the trigger on some Rock 'n Road and Splashback tires, and have some Rolly Pollys on my road bike already. But I'd sure like them to last more than two years.

I seem to remember bike shops carrying preservatives in the '70s, but I can't even find a reference to them anymore on the internet - let alone in bike shops staffed by 20-somethings. Was this my imagination? If it wasn't, then what was in that stuff and how well did it work? I've heard that armour-all is a terrible solution, and I assume that many products could cause a conflict with rim brakes, so I don't want to just "experiment."

Any other suggestions or tricks or expreiences to share? Good or bad?

I live in an extremely arid area, so that might be part of my problem. I do a better job of keeping my bikes out of the sun now that I have a garage, but I don't think that alone will do the trick. I've heard that actually riding them helps (that idle tires tend to rot the fastest) but, like many of you, I own a few bikes these days, so any given set of tires gets less use than it otherwise might.

Thanks for any info
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

Members who have read this thread: 0