LD Stems?

Printable View

  • 01-12-2010
    1 cog frog
    LD Stems?
    First of all, who made the LD stems? Was it Steve Potts? I thought I saw Rody making new versions of them, but were there some made by others?

    Looking at the threads on drop bars, it looks like all the LD stems made were for threaded headsets. Would there be a way to make one for a threadless headset? I am just curious from a fabrication/machining point of view.

    If anyone has detailed pics of how the original stem worked and were set up, I would love to see them.

    Thanks

    frog
  • 01-12-2010
    tductape
    Potts, Nichols, Cunningham.
    At least two different styles. One way modifies the fork.
    A lot here in the archives if you dig around a bit.
    Rody has a good u tube vid on how he does it.

    Kinda outdated and not worth the time, I highly reccomend you don't set up any searches on the bay etc. to try and find one. Chances are, it would be the wrong size anyways. (not working is it?)
  • 01-12-2010
    ckevlar
    Threadless would be hard. It would take some fanageling to be able to set up your headset preload.
  • 01-12-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    my idea for threadless would be to put a starnut into the bottom of the LD and then run a bolt from the bottom of the steerer tube up into that nut to preload.

    lots of info here on LD and Gooseneck stems if you search around.
  • 01-12-2010
    themanmonkey
    The "LD stem" style goes back 100+ years. Usually it was just a threaded fork with an unthreaded extension out the top for a few inches and the stem clamped to the extension.
  • 01-12-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    The "LD stem" style goes back 100+ years. Usually it was just a threaded fork with an unthreaded extension out the top for a few inches and the stem clamped to the extension.


    got any pics?
  • 01-12-2010
    pete_mcc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    my idea for threadless would be to put a starnut into the bottom of the LD and then run a bolt from the bottom of the steerer tube up into that nut to preload.


    Or use on of these between the aheadset and the stem:

    http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/produc...adset_-_Spares
  • 01-12-2010
    Linnaeus
    Not difficult to make if you have the tooling (I suppose that applies to any and everything except separating isotopes). Also not hard to add a provision for a normal headset preload bolt - just a brazed in socket, although it would require a long preload bolt.
  • 01-13-2010
    themanmonkey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    got any pics?

    There is something called The Data Book check it out. Pretty much everything has been done in the past at one time or another. Look for pics of Alex Singer and you'll see the same style of mounting using a "threadless" stem 60 years ago. It's a pretty obvious stem style and mounting.
  • 01-13-2010
    Schmitty
    Herse made (makes) their stems/forks that way.

    -Schmitty-
  • 01-13-2010
    themanmonkey
    Yea that mounting style was really popular with the French. Bike Friday still uses the next step of evolution of this style. When I worked there they had tons of pics and documents that they used to perfect their design.
  • 01-13-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    There is something called The Data Book check it out. Pretty much everything has been done in the past at one time or another. Look for pics of Alex Singer and you'll see the same style of mounting using a "threadless" stem 60 years ago. It's a pretty obvious stem style and mounting.


    Yeah, I have it actually. I just get a kick how people always love to say, "oh that's been done before over 100 years ago". :) Or, "Oh, you got a new a full suspension bike with the DW link, dude, that's been done before at the turn of the century. Haven't you seen it?"

    Don't know if I've seen an LD stem in the book though. I have seen the Herse and Singer (?) clamp on stem with the threaded headsets, but those aren't LD stems.

    Bike Friday stems came after the LD stems right?
  • 01-13-2010
    themanmonkey
    Yea the Bike Friday stems were started late-80s as far as I know.

    FB I think what you need to do is call up Steve Potts and just ask him were those guys got the idea. We spend a lot of time debating the origins of these things and these guys are still around and just a phone call away. When I wanted to know about the dropouts and parts Art Stump make I went and interviewed him.
  • 01-13-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    Yea the Bike Friday stems were started late-80s as far as I know.

    FB I think what you need to do is call up Steve Potts and just ask him were those guys got the idea. We spend a lot of time debating the origins of these things and these guys are still around and just a phone call away. When I wanted to know about the dropouts and parts Art Stump make I went and interviewed him.

    eh, not too interested in the origins. I just wanted to see one of those 100 year old LD's that were mentioned.
  • 01-13-2010
    First Flight
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    I just wanted to see one of those 100 year old LD's that were mentioned.

    :eek:
  • 01-13-2010
    yo-Nate-y
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by First Flight
    :eek:

    Even if they weren't limp back in the day, they probably are by now.
  • 01-14-2010
    singletracktourist
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y
    Even if they weren't limp back in the day, they probably are by now.

    "avatard" heheh

    Five-billion % profit on $20 isn't bad at all

    I think it was you that once mentioned that you had every line from Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure memorized. Every time you post I can't help but imagine his voice. :thumbsup:
  • 01-14-2010
    yo-Nate-y
    ;)