Klunker Seat post quick release?- Mtbr.com
    Klunker Kev`

Klunker Seat post quick release?

I`m in the process of building up a couple of Klunkers and I`m wondering what was originally used for the seat post quick releases?
    I`m thinking they must have been Suntour...? Any help appreciated, Thanks.

Retro on Steroids
    The original purpose was to protect your fragile seatpost. Six-foot-plus, 200# guys riding one-size-fits-all frames extended these mild steel 7/8" tubes for a foot or more above the seat cluster, and all it took was one good bounce on a downhill to put a 30-degree bend in it.

Once we started lowering them for that purpose, the handling advantage of a lower saddle on downhills became obvious.

When Gary Fisher built his first 5-speed klunker, he used the rear hub from a disassembled tandem he had bought at a flea market. I don't know whether he found his seatpost QR in that collection, but I know he was the first in our crowd to use one, and the one he used was a Campagnolo tandem seatpost QR, easily distinguished from a wheel QR by the short skewer and the curved, rather than straight handle.

Tandem parts are harder to come by than a standard wheel QR, so when I needed a QR for my own seatpost, I took a Campy wheel QR to Joe Breeze, who cut off the skewer and rethreaded it.

AFAIK modified wheel QRs were the source of most seatpost QRs until they became standard equipment from MTB component manufacturers. I don't recall specifically whether we made our own for the first Ritcheys out of modified wheel QRs or ordered real seatpost QRs from Campy, but they are easy to tell apart if anyone has a bike old enough. A curved handle is a real one, a straight handle is a modified wheel QR.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Curved, but different. Because of the method of how the Campy levers are put together, the levers are interchangeable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Klunker Seat post quick release?-eb519-002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthewalrus
    Curved, but different. Because of the method of how the Campy levers are put together, the levers are interchangeable.

will that Campy cam and lever interchange with say an old steel Specialized skewer? I have a Campy rear that's just a tad short for an mtb and need to check this.

Klunker Kev`
    Thanks so much. I didn`t realize that Campy made a seat post quick release in the 70`s. I thought there was a possibility of it being a cut-down wheel skewer...Never considered it being a tandem item.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    will that Campy cam and lever interchange with say an old steel Specialized skewer? I have a Campy rear that's just a tad short for an mtb and need to check this.
    Yes, the Spec lever and Campy levers are interchangeable. Which means the Suntour is probably also interchangeable.

IIRC, there were stories of Eddy Merckx experimenting with a seat QR on his bike. He rode in pain due to a bad crash and he had a fairly significant leg length discrepancy. He would often change his seat height during rides to alleviate the pain.

clunker
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Campagnolo tandem seatpost QR...
    word

...strictly downhill...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthewalrus
    Yes, the Spec lever and Campy levers are interchangeable. Which means the Suntour is probably also interchangeable.

IIRC, there were stories of Eddy Merckx experimenting with a seat QR on his bike. He rode in pain due to a bad crash and he had a fairly significant leg length discrepancy. He would often change his seat height during rides to alleviate the pain.
    Thanks for the info.

Eddy with a seat QR. I'd love to see a pic of him hammering with a Hite Rite. Joe Breeze was a little late.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb49
    word
    Coincidentally, I just got the new one I ordered today. Not vintage, but they look great. It's going on Klunker #2, a '39 DX.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It would look pretty trick to keep the original "AS" bolt and braze a lever onto the nut to make a qr.

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That was Fairfax, some of the guys in Larkspur carried a large vise grip plier clamped on to the bolt location to hold the seatpost up (and whatever else needed tightening). Some of the bikes I built and sold to our friends managed to have a Campi seatpost QR with the large dia. shaft. At that time there was no other except a shortened skewer.
    Grafting the AS bolt to a QR sounds like something a well equipped tinkerer would have done.
    Last edited by repackpioneer; 12-24-2009 at 04:26 AM.

horn doggie
    In a pinch, an early Suntour seatpost Q/R looks good and correct on a klunker, curved lever and all.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Scooder!!
    They look GREAT and work fine, I'm not even sure what year they came out in..... 80 ??

Members who have read this thread: 1