BMX'er getting big wheels

Klunker Newb (Monark Silver King build + questions)

Since my Monark Silver King (Later steel frame, not the gorgeous aluminum)isn't seeming to be going anywhere sale wise, I decided I'd like to clunker it so I can at least use it. There's a bunch of nice easy horse and bike trails around here that it would be great for (I can ride them easily enough on my BMX bike, but it's short WB and little wheels make it difficult, plus the fact I don't like to air down to normal off road tire pressures from my 85-90lb norm).

It's a got a springer fork on it, and like most other 50-60 year old springers, it's a little past it's prime, and FAR from off road worthy, but what to replace it with? Could I get away with a 26" ridid fork being that the springer is a little longer than average? I've got a couple old 26" MTB's that are past their prime and could easily give up their forks. Can anyone suggest me a decent 24" wheel set (From a mailorder please, I have no LBS, and the only 24" built wheelset I've found are Skyway Mags, which are ya know, hideous) that isn't super expensive? I don't need hard core dirt jump stuff here, just enough to handle slightly more than dirt roads. I'm going single speed since I've already got a set of good 3 piece BMX cranks sitting here and a set of nice platform pedals just sitting on the floor of the shop, though they'll need paint, because dayglow orange doesn't really scream klunker to me. I'm not going full vintage style on this, I'm doing the old school frame with new school MTB/BMX parts route.
    Last edited by TrikeKid; 06-28-2007 at 07:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Are you putting 24" wheels on a 26" bike?
    Wanted:Nothing. I have too much.

No, it's a 24 now, if anything I'd go to a 26" wheel set, which I might be able to do because the frame has a good bit of room, I'll have to go out and tinker a little and see if a 26 will fit without any major frame modding.

Sweet, after a little playing around with spare parts, I can get a 26 in the back of this thing, so I can do the same for the front end and not worry about the 24" stuff. Have to let the air out of the tire to get it in and out of the frame but I've got almost all the room to adjust the chain I had with the 24. The pic isn't great but the weather is freaking out right now, so I decided to just stay in the shop. (It's a cheapo front wheel, but it confirms what I hoped)

EDIT: Rolling as a parts bin special, needs a bit still though
    Last edited by TrikeKid; 06-28-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0