Klein Serial # identification- Mtbr.com

Jun 2005

Klein Serial # identification

Can anyone elaborate on klein serial number identification. I know that if it's located below the bottom bracket it's a 90+, but does anyone know what specific sequences go with which models. Or maybe we could list our models and years and pick out the pattern.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Post Your Number and We Can Decode It

If your number is under the BB is realtively easy to translate.

mtbr member

it starts to get tough

as the Kleins get closer to being Shreks.
    Mid 90s are something like this:
    21T1196123.
    21 are Klein inches.
    T is "Attitude"
    11 is month of productoin
    96 is the year
    123 is number of the bike off the production line.
    I think.

When the S# gets to be two lines I get confused. I do tend to understand things 10 years after they've become irrelevent.

Retro Grouch
    On my 88 Pinnacle Elite it's stamped into the frame under the rear dropout:

letter+number+number+letter

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    as the Kleins get closer to being Shreks.
    Mid 90s are something like this:
    21T1196123.
    21 are Klein inches.
    T is "Attitude"
    11 is month of productoin
    96 is the year
    123 is number of the bike off the production line.
    I think.

When the S# gets to be two lines I get confused. I do tend to understand things 10 years after they've become irrelevent.
    Thanks for the info, that helps a lot. "T is 'attitude'" Do you know what the other letters equal?

mtbr member

What he said

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownSF
    Thanks for the info, that helps a lot. "T is 'attitude'" Do you know what the other letters equal?
    Post the seriaI number. I don't know about the Rascal S#. I aSSume that the Rascal should be similar to my description earlier.
    Last edited by noslogan; 06-21-2005 at 05:33 PM. Reason: forgot something

Jun 2005
    it's an "L"

Jun 2005

I just read

I just read in another post that "X"=adroit "T"=attitude "P"=pulse, so "L"for rasCAL sounds reasonable

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

On my Rascal...

The SN is on the dropout, just the letter "R" thee digits and the Klein "K" logo stamp.

Ron

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSonic
    The SN is on the dropout, just the letter "R" thee digits and the Klein "K" logo stamp.

Ron
    that is an early Rascal then (1990 or 1991). they stamped the number into the bb shell from 1992 on. in 1992 the frame size was not included yet and the SN started with the letter. before 1992 they were on the rear dropouts and those SNs do not tell much. only the letter indicates the model but that usually is obvious anyhow. i have a Rascal that in reality is a repainted Top Gun, SN starts with TG. would not have known that without the SN.

does anyone know which letter designates the Fervor?

Carsten

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten
    that is an early Rascal then (1990 or 1991). they stamped the number into the bb shell from 1992 on. in 1992 the frame size was not included yet and the SN started with the letter. before 1992 they were on the rear dropouts and those SNs do not tell much. only the letter indicates the model but that usually is obvious anyhow. i have a Rascal that in reality is a repainted Top Gun, SN starts with TG. would not have known that without the SN.

does anyone know which letter designates the Fervor?

Carsten
    The fervor was famous for that black and green splatter paint job although i have seen the rascal painted that color too. I have a frame in this color of the one inch headtube variety.
    It doesnt appear any model decals were ever applied but i cant be certain. The bb says it was made in the 10th month of 93 and it has an L.
    Desperately searching for a klein 120mm O-rise MC1 mission control stem /handlebars or any 1 1/4 quill stem equivalent.
    EDIT- HELLOOOOOOOO......... Desperately means i will pay really,really good money for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

" Green Nebula " was the Klein paint job....

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwa2 View Post
    The fervor was famous for that black and green splatter paint job although i have seen the rascal painted that color too. I have a frame in this color of the one inch headtube variety.
    It doesnt appear any model decals were ever applied but i cant be certain. The bb says it was made in the 10th month of 93 and it has an L.
    The Fervor was painted a green splatter style paint job that
    was called " Green Nebula " , still one of my all time favorites...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    can anyone help me identify my Klein Attitude Comp's vintage
    serial # 20H 0700
    WTU 1333951

this is how the number is on the BB

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Attitude Horizon Linear Fade

Hey,

Serial number is only AA22. What does this tell me?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. Will check online catalogs.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Klein Serial # identification-6d941acb-5d5b-48a4-9777-18cfadbcecf4.jpg  

Klein Serial # identification-61a991b1-fbe4-4958-babf-fbf0217c2bfb.jpg  

Klein Serial # identification-45f68d87-4bbe-4a72-bd26-5355870d046d.jpg  

Klein Serial # identification-9d551c10-892b-43e6-bc09-95f341e57a6a.jpg  

Last edited by Cleetus Highcat; 09-13-2020 at 01:46 AM.

He be a moose too.
    A lot can be determined by posting a picture of the bike, MC1/MC2. etc, but all I can tell from this is that it might be a 1991 model based on the serial number. I'm not sure if they did Horizon in that year or not, I'd have to look it up in the catalog but google the online catalogs and see if horizon for that year or not and you'll have your answer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Just got a Rascal, new to thread, was wondering if someone could help with the serial number. It is TG882 with Klein logo after. On rear dropout. Nothing on bottom bracket. I understand that this means itís a Top Gun frame but any idea of year or other data? Itís pink/black fade, will try to post pic. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Klein Serial # identification-a69d56f7-fd97-4b00-90cc-33a3fac69186.jpg  

Klein Serial # identification-92b1cf6c-f9c0-42a5-b77d-11be1c913f7c.jpg  

He be a moose too.
    I've corresponded with the OP and I think the answer, is it a Top Gun or not, depends on definition.

Top Guns only came out in 1989. There may have been a few frames produced in 1990 as Top Guns but were converted to the Rascal name after a threat from a trademark lawsuit from a moronic movie studio. So, it that a Top Gun because of the intent of the original plans?

The paint on that frame is from the 1991 model year, that's absolute. So, did an owner have it sent back in 1991 to be repainted?

I find it unlikely that a frame produced in late 1989 (for the 1990 model year) that may have been produced just as the lawsuit was introduced, was kept around for a whole year, sitting there waiting to be stripped and repainted when Klein was selling everything they produced and waiting lists were common. I was on a waiting list for an 90 Attitude, when production was delayed time and time again, and got tired of waiting and asked about a Rascal, which wasn't available either. So did this frame sit around for that long when they were short of frames to start with?

Really, Top Guns and Rascals are the same except in name. The serial number 0x882, which is in hex, would convert to the 2178th frame produced for that year, so probably later in the production run, based on most serial numbers I've seen, whatever the actual year.

I won't pay the extra $1k that people ask for them and wouldn't give a frame extra value based on a serial number.

In the end, it's hard to say.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Plenty of rascals had the TG serial. I'd guess a 90 frame. You can cross reference the year a bit with the Shimano date codes stamped on various parts. Look for a 2 letter code. Should help date it assuming it's stock.

The rascal decal points to a 90-91 though.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Really helpful thank you both for taking the time to respond. Really enjoying my first Klein and will hopefully post some
    new pics once I get it cleaned up, and then make it mess again riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

Help!

Hey there
    I have a Klein Comp Mtn Bike from Uni days (1991-1994). Purchased personally in Canada (Hamilton Ont) and I am in Australia now. I am sadly selling due to a bad broken leg injury.
    I have had purchasers tell me it is not a Klein that the cables on ALL Kleins were built in. I know what I bought from a reputable shop. Was there any Kleins built with the cable on the outside or was I ripped off nearly 25 years ago.
    Serial number is K 000495 / 4330 23
    Love your insight people!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHughes View Post
    Hey there
    I have a Klein Comp Mtn Bike from Uni days (1991-1994). Purchased personally in Canada (Hamilton Ont) and I am in Australia now. I am sadly selling due to a bad broken leg injury.
    I have had purchasers tell me it is not a Klein that the cables on ALL Kleins were built in. I know what I bought from a reputable shop. Was there any Kleins built with the cable on the outside or was I ripped off nearly 25 years ago.
    Serial number is K 000495 / 4330 23
    Love your insight people!
    Sorry to hear about your leg. Best wishes for good healing.

You are going to need five years added to your Uni days. Actual Klein never had a Comp model and never had exposed cables on the bikes. After Trek took over at the end of 95 they tried all sorts of cost cutting methods including confusing naming structure, tubing down grading and external cables. I believe they had external cables from 97 or 98 - 2000, I can confirm the exact years this evening.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

He be a moose too.
    Shoo is correct. Your buyers are wrong, it is a Klein but it's more commonly called a "Trek Klein". Trek changed the models as Shoo describes in the 97 model year. They owned Klein in 96 but didn't make substantive changes to the bikes as things were already in the pipeline when they took over.

As far as the serial number from Trek Kleins, as I don't think anyone has documented what is what for them and can't date it via SN. If you really want to know the year, it might help to show pictures of the bike and possibly the components, if original, can indicate the year.