Jazz (by Trek) Info- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Jazz (by Trek) Info

I found this bike at a thrift store today, and I've been able to find absolutely nothing about it. It appears to be a Jazz by Trek (although the trek name doesn't appear anywhere on it). However, I can't find any evidence of a Jazz Radical having ever existed. It's in excellent shape, and curiously it had a Nishiki owners manual tied to it. I'm just hoping someone has more info on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jazz (by Trek) Info-20190502_134313.jpg  

Jazz (by Trek) Info-20190502_134316.jpg  

Jazz (by Trek) Info-20190502_134320.jpg  

Jazz (by Trek) Info-20190502_134330.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    So, Jazz was a low end bike line by Trek in the late 90's. I believe it was an effort to compete with the box store garbage bikes. Short lived if I recall correctly. Basically, Jazz bikes are a half step above Walmart quality. Personaly, I wouldn't spend the cost of a new chain on that bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    So, Jazz was a low end bike line by Trek in the late 90's. I believe it was an effort to compete with the box store garbage bikes. Short lived if I recall correctly. Basically, Jazz bikes are a half step above Walmart quality. Personaly, I wouldn't spend the cost of a new chain on that bike.
    Luckily, it was dirt cheap and only needs inner tubes. I'm not sure it's ever been ridden. I'm just a sucker for things that look like they were pulled off the Full House set.

I like the paint, too bad it's such a low end piece. It could be fun for chasing the dog around the neighborhood I suppose.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Indeed, the Yugo of the bike biz back in the 90s. Wasn't there about three models made,iirc? I built many since the LBS was a Trek dealer but that is now almost thirty years ago.

Totally worth a chain imho, it was a step above dept store bikes but when one is accustomed to finer quality rides then well trying to get a positive note out of a 200 dollar bike isn't going to be easy. They didn't ride great, but sooo much better than the other low end stuff at the time.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....