Info on a 1994 Performance M304?- Mtbr.com

Dec 2009

Info on a 1994 Performance M304?

Hello! Recently purchased a 1994 Performance M304 from the original owner...claims he bought the bike new from the local bike shop, stored it in his basement and never rode it, as he bought a new Harley the next week, and the thought of pedaling lost all its appeal.

I don't know if I completely buy his story, but the bike is extremely clean without a scratch on it. It does have all of it's orginial equipment, (per Bikepedia)...The frame is double-butted cromolly True Temper AVR. The front fork is a Tange Struts GS. It has the Shimano STX SE group (brakes, levers, shift levers, derailleurs, crank, hubs). Handlebar is Zoom 170, Vetta sadde, Kalloy seatpost and Bontranger BCX-3 rims.

I've searched several forums and found very little on the Performance company and their bikes...does anyone have any background/info they could share? I've taken a few pics of the bike in my basement - looking forward to cleaning it and riding it.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Yep, it's the house brand for Performance Bikes - a large mail order and chain bike shop based out of North Carolina. The frame is no-frills and imported from overseas. Probably a decent riding bike, but without a whole lot of "cult" status.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by datasurfer
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Dec 2009
    Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I don't care about cult status or value of the bike, just curious as to it's origins...I have several older "retro" road bikes and am just looking for something to ride around the local trails in my area...this bike, (although I guess Performance renders a laugh from those oh so more informed) is in beautiful condition, and since I paid next to nothing for it, I look forward to riding and enjoying it in the future.

Thanks again for the info....and Merry Christmas....

mtbr member
    Should be a fine bike for general riding - basically a sturdy steel frame with perfectly good mid-level components that should last. I'm not so sure about the fork, though - don't see a lot of those these days.

Hit The Road Cyclery
    I worked for Performance for various stretches from '94 to '00, mainly as a service manager, so I've had a lot of experience with their bikes. The Performance branded bikes weren't fantastic, but they weren't bad either. They had proper MTB geometry (for the time) and were good workhorses. If you just want a hardtail to ride yours will be fine. It will never be "collectible" or worth a lot though, so don't bother worrying about keeping it pristine, just use it.

edit: Dump that fork and the wheel reflectors though

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ohjonnybegoode
    Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I don't care about cult status or value of the bike, just curious as to it's origins...I have several older "retro" road bikes and am just looking for something to ride around the local trails in my area...this bike, (although I guess Performance renders a laugh from those oh so more informed) is in beautiful condition, and since I paid next to nothing for it, I look forward to riding and enjoying it in the future.

Thanks again for the info....and Merry Christmas....
    What happened to enjoying it in the future?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/1530837020.html

P.S. I'd recommend at least removing the previous owner's seatbag. For most potential buyers, that's about as appealing as buying a used car with a dufflebag of laundry in the trunk.

I like turtles
    I had that Blackburn Rasta seat bag..sweet!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Members who have read this thread: 0