I Welcome Advise - First Retro Build / Giant ATX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

I Welcome Advise - First Retro Build / Giant ATX

I am doing my first retro-build, and I was not into mountain biking until about three years ago, so I do not remember what was standard and what was sought after way back when. I am building an early 90's Giant ATX hardtail. I am pretty it is a low end model.

I have it stored at a community bike shop right now, and I will try and snap a photo or at least write the model down on Saturday when I go work on. The project started out as a just a beater bike. There is a community shop where I live that lets people use their tools, sells used parts, and offers advice on repairs and builds. They have a stack of frames in the back, and you can actually do a build with the used parts and frames.

I initially went there, because I am moving to an apartment in a very urban, hard to find parking, probably easier to get places by bike part of town. I grabbed a steel frame from the back and got to work. I found some wheels that were fairly true, nabbed and old crankset, swapped out the stem, threw on some bars etc. The bike is almost complete and I am starting to feel the same bond with this bike as i do with my expensive fs bike.

Now that my bike is close to complete, I feel I owe it to the bike, to do the research, seek out the right vintage parts that are period apropriate, sand the bike down and repaint it, and make it into an indoor bike after all. I was just hoping some of you guys would give me advice as I go. I have looked at the resources posted here, but i don't see too much on Giants. Maybe they aren't considered worth restoring.

I will have more questions later once I get some pics of the bike. I have researched everywhere tonight to try and find the bike, to no avail. It is a yellow steel giant atx with curved seat-stays.

Here are my first round of questions
    -Is there anything I can look for on the bike that will help me identify it?
    -Can I paint the bike myself? My dad has a paint sprayer, is it worth the hassle?
    Last edited by codwater; 01-15-2010 at 05:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Sorry about the spellig error, it was typed at 4 am because I couldnt sleep

sku

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Welcome to old bike love

Well, that bike probably isn't "worth" the time you're thinking of putting into it. However, as a first step, a learner if you will, it's fine. Make mistakes, screw around, figure out how to play the game, etc.

The Giants are production bikes, plain and simple. Made in the thousands. They hold no cache, and are not special. They can be found by the dozens at shops such as yours, all over the US. That said, I wouldn't bother painting it, unless you just want to spend the time, and associated costs, for something that's worth no more than when you started. Personally, I'd go the other way, make it a sleeper. Put a bunch of period correct parts on it, all used but functional, leave the frame in all it's patina ridden glory. Folks will be less likely to give it a second glance as they wander past with bolt cutters in their pack.

Good luck!
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    To build a Giant ATX up correct from the frame probably isn't worth it, unless you can find DX components & wheels on the cheap. The correct crank, shifters, & wheels will most likely set you back more than finding another old bike already outfitted. The ATX series weren't necessarily the bottom of the barrel. I believe they were 670 with LX, 770 with DX, & 870 with XT. Post some pictures & someone here can probably tell you the year model so that you can match your components. All that said I have a circa 1990 ATX 770 that I picked up for parts, but for now is still in one peice. Being more of a rider than a collector, I really like how the bikes fits & rides. But don't expect to get much respect from it here. I wouldn't bother painting it unless there is some potential rust problem going on. Just clean it up good & leave the battle scars for character. Good Luck.
    Last edited by RX-1; 01-15-2010 at 01:08 PM.

mtbr member
    From what I recall, RX-1 has it about right. You can do a search for Giant ATX at Bikepedia and find some specs. These were quality, mid-level bikes, positioned above the Iguana and other named bikes. They started with LX and STX in different years. Anyway, it should be a quality steel frame that should last, barring any rust problems from its unknown past. Giant was positioned in the market back then about like they are now - mostly known for high quality, mainstream, mass production bikes with good components for the money.

nobody
    I have a '91 Iguana that I use as a commuter and it's a nice ride and has served me well. I bought one new back in the day and sold it a couple years later as I moved on to a higher end bike. I always regretted selling it (maybe I'm too sentimental) but a as chance would have it, a few years later I spotted one the same year, size and color in a junk heap behind my lbs and picked it up for $20 and resurrected it.

Your ATX will make a nice townie for you if nothing else. Build it up and ride it!
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Thanks for the advice, I will snap some photos on Saturday

when I go to hopefully finish the bike in it's beater form. What I may do is upgrade parts to period apropriate quality compenants, and keep my eyes open for a frame worth restoring. Then when I find one, I can just swap the compenants over. I will still post a pic when I see it this weekend and when it's done as I am sure anyone who invested advice would want to see what I am working wtith. The seat stays really are pretty wicked though.

Members who have read this thread: 0