I see prices rising for vintage classic stuff- Mtbr.com
    artistic...

I see prices rising for vintage classic stuff

Well deserved. I wish it wonīt turn into a bubble of speculation: i am in it for the joy of riding.
    I remember saying it when prices were stupid high and got the usual "itīs a free market yadda yadda." Then prices dropped drastically and i thought "vintage profiteers had it coming".
    Then it became the stupid argument of no one wants 26in and rim brakes because: the horror when we know a good bike is a good bike is a good bike...
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Bikes in jeans
    Starting to see some myself, still nothing crazy but I about cried when I couldn't even get $200 for my damn near perfect condition racelite frame a few years ago.

I think the gravel bike trend is partially driving it as well as just having a cool cruiser to ride around on. May still be some nostalgia and people are looking for that bike or those components they couldn't afford when they were young.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Might be the fact that people are stuck at home and finally have a reason to ride a bike. Project time!

Around Seattle used bike prices are up at least 50-75% and people are buying em up. Only good deals that last a few hours require a ton of work and are few and far between.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Might be the fact that people are stuck at home and finally have a reason to ride a bike. Project time!

Around Seattle used bike prices are up at least 50-75% and people are buying em up. Only good deals that last a few hours require a ton of work and are few and far between.
    Yeah, i have the same intuition: itīs a pandemia thing but also the recession thing. When you are scared a bike, whatever bike, seems exhilarating and no one cares if itīs disc or 27.5: as long as itīs pretty and goes places itīs a good one. Even better if itīs timeless. The idea of progress/future is questionable these days. GIve us back the good times.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    If it;s in the last month or so?

Covid.

Spoken to several shops and brands at this point.

Trek, for example, is up 1100% over last April, Jamis, 700%, etc.

You did not read that wrong.

The industry is dying, has been for at least 5+ years, cycling is not something people do as much anymore hell, going outside even.

Fill in the blank, distracted drivers, social media, indoor trainers, gyms, the industries tin eared, relentless push for ever more expensive parts and bikes (cause everyone who buys a bike, wants to be a pro racer, right?), the fattening of the population, matters not.

They've been trimming production numbers for several years.

Now? Basically every manufacturer has run out of bikes, literally. They have nothing to sell, and the consumer public is rattling their gates in frustration, anger and fear.

I have folks who "found me" and are begging for hybrids, as their favorite shop let them down. As did I.

Same folks are howling about how everything on Craigslist is junk, which is true, anything decent, used, has already been snapped up by people desperate to do something since their gym closed and their kids are driving them batshit crazy.

Enter, vintage MTB.

Bikes no one would have considered buying used, now, look pretty damn amazing, like the little escape reality portals, we all knew them to be, all along....

Welcome to the new world order.
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com