I need help with an old Shimano front hub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2017

I need help with an old Shimano front hub

Hi,

I'm restoring an old vintage bike and i have an old Shimano Alivio Parallax front hub that needs axle nuts and those safety washers, it does not have a quick release skewer obviously, just wanted to include that, i can't find anything about this hub anywhere on the internet, it's like it doesn't exist, no parts, nothing.

As you can see in the provided images, it's slightly smaller than the
    rear hub axle.

(Edit) One nut i tried did seem to fit the diameter of the axle but only screws in a couple of turns then stops, this is the same for both sides of the front axle, so the threads are also special and does not appear to be industry standard, i took the axle to my local hardware store where they have a billion different nut sizes both imperial and metric, we couldn't find a single one that fit, so it seems to be practically impossible to find a nut that fits this things, I've tried every nut i have in my big arsenal.

What sorcery is this?

Pictures are attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I need help with an old Shimano front hub-wp_20200302_02_39_29_pro.jpg  

I need help with an old Shimano front hub-wp_20200302_02_39_54_pro.jpg  

I need help with an old Shimano front hub-wp_20200302_02_40_44_pro.jpg  

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Couple thoughts.

Alivio, while functional, is bottom shelf stuff, nothing worth writing home about.

If you do find a new hardware kit, it'll cost as much as a new hub of the same flavor. You could also just buy a new hub and lace it in, they run less than $20.

The finish/grunge on that hub says it's seen a fair bit of corrosive conditions, furthering the argument against it's continued use.

You can also, buy a brand new, functional wheel of similar quality for under $50.

Additionally, you can walk into any older bike shop, or a bike co-op, and likely pick up a used wheel for next to nothing as 26" is dead to "the modern world"...

Lipstick, meet pig....
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    9mm X 1 mm nut

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Couple thoughts.

Alivio, while functional, is bottom shelf stuff, nothing worth writing home about.

If you do find a new hardware kit, it'll cost as much as a new hub of the same flavor. You could also just buy a new hub and lace it in, they run less than $20.

The finish/grunge on that hub says it's seen a fair bit of corrosive conditions, furthering the argument against it's continued use.

You can also, buy a brand new, functional wheel of similar quality for under $50.

Additionally, you can walk into any older bike shop, or a bike co-op, and likely pick up a used wheel for next to nothing as 26" is dead to "the modern world"...

Lipstick, meet pig....
    Walk into that same older bike shop or Coop and go through their parts bins. There will likely be tons of 9mm front axle nuts and washers.
    Latitude 61